Euphyllia Eating Flatwoms?

sbutler08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a few weeks of watching my torch frags slowly wither away to nothing, I finally pulled out my last remaining frag and inspected it. I had been wondering how one person could lose over a dozen Euphyllia frags with all proper parameters. This is what I found... These bad boys are just shy of 3/4" long and probably 3/8" in width. I wish that I would have looked closer at the other frags before discarding them to the trash.
I've never seen anything quite like these before and I have no idea where they could have come from. They seem to only be on euphyllia thank goodness!
I can tell you that they almost immediately died on contact with Bayer dip.

Attachments

• 20150819_190709.jpg
    20150819_190709.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 293

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of flat worms predatory to Euphyllia but it was usually Polyclad, guess you just never know. There are thousands of different types of Planarians so it really is not a leap to see them eating LPS, specially Euphyllia. Planarians may also suffocate LPS and prevent photosynthesis by covering surface area, there by reducing gas exchange and depriving zooxanthellae from providing nutrition to those hermatypic corals.

Thanks for sharing.

dkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just killed one myself. My yellow torch bought three weeks ago did not seem to open up fully. Just last week, I saw a patch of eggs at the tissue rim at the base and thought to myself "hmm, that's odd". I picked it up to inspect and sure enough, found a fw that looked exactly like in your picture. I tried to picked it up with a pair of tweezers; but it moved super fast and hid inside the polyps. I killed it by dipping it in bayer. I scraped the egg sack off. Needless to say, from now on all euphyllia will be dipped in bayer before going into the tank.
By the way, you might have known it already, but it looks like there is an egg sack at the 12 o'clock position.

Reefhunter007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just killed one myself. My yellow torch bought three weeks ago did not seem to open up fully. Just last week, I saw a patch of eggs at the tissue rim at the base and thought to myself "hmm, that's odd". I picked it up to inspect and sure enough, found a fw that looked exactly like in your picture. I tried to picked it up with a pair of tweezers; but it moved super fast and hid inside the polyps. I killed it by dipping it in bayer. I scraped the egg sack off. Needless to say, from now on all euphyllia will be dipped in bayer before going into the tank.
By the way, you might have known it already, but it looks like there is an egg sack at the 12 o'clock position.
Yuck don't you hate the way they move like a blob movie!!lol makes my skin crawl"

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back