Euphyllia gaping/open mouths

Bear Necessities

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank overview: https://mytanktracker.com/overview/?tank_id=tank-46bbc342

Having some issues with my euphyllia. not sure why the mouths are all open/gaping. My parameters all check out (below). Anyone have any ideas why this may be? The only thing that is left that I can conclude is maybe they are still getting use to my new lights? To give some back story they were shipped to me by my old LFS cross country I got them back about a week/half ago, Was an overnight delivery. This tank is pretty dang new though I used my old rock from my 125. All other coral seem to be doing just fine. Would love some thoughts. Maybe just keep an eye on them?

Temp is at about 80F.

1575744661857.png
IMG_20191207_102518.jpg
IMG_20191207_102625.jpg
IMG_20191207_102620.jpg
IMG_20191207_102634.jpg
photo_2019-12-07_10-44-36.jpg photo_2019-12-07_10-44-35 (2).jpg photo_2019-12-07_10-44-35.jpg photo_2019-12-07_10-45-37.jpg IMG_20191207_102623.jpg IMG_20191207_102615.jpg

OP
OP
Bear Necessities

Bear Necessities

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we're now on Thursday, no real change, in fact I think I am losing my Octospawn. There is a white film/slime around parts of it and I am 90% sure that means it's on it's way out. The others seem to have no real change from how they were, large open mouths, not really opening up much. Noticed my GSP closed up too but has started to poke out again, Zoas, Acans, Blastos, all doing just fine. Nems are doing good to. fish seem to have no problem.

I did lower my light levels slightly to see if that would help. Anyone else ever have this issue? Any other thoughts?

ruskimax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost a ton of euphyllia d/t brown jelly disease. Hope that isn’t what’s going on here, such nice coral but tend to go really downhill fast when things go south. Good luck man, I’d say maybe frag what u can and QT them.

OP
OP
Bear Necessities

Bear Necessities

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost a ton of euphyllia d/t brown jelly disease. Hope that isn’t what’s going on here, such nice coral but tend to go really downhill fast when things go south. Good luck man, I’d say maybe frag what u can and QT them.

I don't think it's brown jelly disease. I took some pics of the octospawn. I was thinking maybe something with the water but like even my torch is doing fine. It's the hammers, octo and frogspawn. Blehhh. I'll keep monitoring. I added carbon last night to see if that may help in the event anything bad was in the water that I didn't account for. And I'll do a big WC when I get home today.

This is just tissue death I'm assuming. Seen it before and I'm confident it's a gonner. And it was just starting to split too.

IMG_20191212_075150.jpg

ruskimax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea man, it’s some variation of BJD or a similar pathology. I’d chuck the affected heads and just do the bare minimum as far as changes. Seems to only speed up the spread to unaffected heads, good luck man. Been in your shoes before, just got the cojones to get another frogspawn recently. Nice setup by the way.

OP
OP
Bear Necessities

Bear Necessities

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea man, it’s some variation of BJD or a similar pathology. I’d chuck the affected heads and just do the bare minimum as far as changes. Seems to only speed up the spread to unaffected heads, good luck man. Been in your shoes before, just got the cojones to get another frogspawn recently. Nice setup by the way.

big oof if that's the case - tears will be had if I loose em all lol but lets hope thats not the case and it's just the octo thats gonna be a loss. I am sorry you had to deal with this before though. Ughhh lol

And thank you! I am missing my 125 alot..I went through all this BS back then and it finally reached equilibrium and now I gotta go through the paces again. Thank you for your input/help though. Ill monitor and post updates.

ruskimax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
big oof if that's the case - tears will be had if I loose em all lol but lets hope thats not the case and it's just the octo thats gonna be a loss. I am sorry you had to deal with this before though. Ughhh lol

And thank you! I am missing my 125 alot..I went through all this crap back then and it finally reached equilibrium and now I gotta go through the paces again. Thank you for your input/help though. Ill monitor and post updates.
Some posts in past forums abt iodine dips for similar issues, just a thought. Again, good luck.

OP
OP
Bear Necessities

Bear Necessities

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry looks to be a goner. Havr you checked for polyclad fw?
Adding carbon def wont hurt.

I have looked for flatworms but I haven't seen any - i've had them before and see no evidence of them. I may try an iodine dip, the trouble is getting time to run to a LFS to pick some up, recently moved and traffic in the Seattle area is a nightmare.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back