Euphyllia not lasting

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No just tap water. Our city has really good water so our tech doesn’t deem it necessary. I’ve been dosing a bit of calcium/magnesium/strontium, but mainly the alkalinity

no clue what the phosphates are at. I’m going to bring water to the lfs to test tomorrow. Honestly I completely forgot that was a thing until today

this is true but my acrylic nails make using gloves even more difficult lol. Good to know about the Hanna checkers though. If the lfs will test the water for me I’ll probably just keep bringing some frequently until our tech comes over
I would switch over to RO/DI as soon as possible. You'd probably be okay with a FOWLR and maybe some leathers using tap, but you'll likely struggle with LPS and SPS. Many fish stores sell premixed salt water or RO/DI if you don't want to hook up your own machine. In the meantime, I would buy a poly-filter or order an ICP test to determine if you have any heavy metal contamination. Are you using any sort of water conditioner on top off water?

You also need to determine what your alk is. I wouldn't recommend dosing without knowing exactly what it is before hand. I test mine almost every day to make sure I'm dosing the correct amount. Too high, too low, or too many swings can all cause problems.

Euphyllia like some phosphates. If you have zero'd them out, they could be starving.

OP
OP
itselenababe

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping the change in environment is helping. The tank they were in prior wasn’t the greatest set up and the torch in the tank I moved it to has been thriving ever since we got it (completely changed in colour/vibrancy and is just about to split from 2 to 3 heads!) so maybe this little guy just needs some more recovery time. Going to take some water to the lfs tomorrow to make sure everything is in check regardless (current tank & the old tank it was in that we’re taking down)

Last edited:

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until you stop using tap water and start using 0 TDS RODI water i dont think anybody is able to help to any significant level with what the issue may be. The water is the very first part of keeping these things, its the "air" they breathe.

You said it yourself.....The water tastes wierd where you are so you only drink bottled water - But then your using that wierd tasting water on some of the most sensitive corals we keep - I personally think Euphyllia are wrongly labelled as easy to keep, they are often extremely difficult lng term for the most part.

Scrap that tech and get more hands on wiht the hobby - Im sure youll start to love it even more.

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MaxTremors made a comment that I think missed an important point...basically get out if you let someone else handle your tank.. I would suggest something else...time to get MORE involved. It's a very exciting hobby very rewarding and time to really know and enjoy it. Yes, let someone else clean and maintain but supervise by learning and measuring. It's not that complicated...it's just that some like to make it that way. They like an excuse for fancy expensive equipment cuz that's their approach and their interest, but you can accomplish a lot of the same with basic equipment, a simple HOB refugium from Finex (not even that is needed) Instead of really expensive lights, experiment with some cheap Chinese lights. ETC. As to the reagents used in test kits and their "danger". Back in the 50"s when I was 8 years old, I used my Gilbert's Beginers Chemistry set, mixed some chemicals and caused an explosion in our basement. Last year for Christmas, I was looking for a set to get my granddaughter interested in chemistry and the sets had nothing in them. Not even phenylpthialein solution for pH measurement!.. (It's what's in Ex-lax). Point is there's really nothing their that'll cause harm other than allergies. (just don't drink any). Gov. just doesn't allow risk anymore....except if they're the agent they're regulating).

Last edited:

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definetly agree about the tap water though if you're using tap water. In my town we get our water from a river that comes straight from a glacier, little to no chlorine added as it's so clean. Yet it's slightly acid, (why?), and in my house it goes through copper pipes. RODI water is not that expensive. (FOWLR tanks will do ok if the copper levels are ok, just not reef)

OP
OP
itselenababe

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MaxTremors made a comment that I think missed an important point...basically get out if you let someone else handle your tank.. I would suggest something else...time to get MORE involved. It's a very exciting hobby very rewarding and time to really know and enjoy it. Yes, let someone else clean and maintain but supervise by learning and measuring. It's not that complicated...it's just that some like to make it that way. They like an excuse for fancy expensive equipment cuz that's their approach and their interest, but you can accomplish a lot of the same with basic equipment, a simple HOB refugium from Finex (not even that is needed) Instead of really expensive lights, experiment with some cheap Chinese lights. ETC. As to the reagents used in test kits and their "danger". Back in the 50"s when I was 8 years old, I used my Gilbert's Beginers Chemistry set, mixed some chemicals and caused an explosion in our basement. Last year for Christmas, I was looking for a set to get my granddaughter interested in chemistry and the sets had nothing in them. Not even phenylpthialein solution for pH measurement!.. (It's what's in Ex-lax). Point is there's really nothing their that'll cause harm other than allergies. (just don't drink any). Gov. just doesn't allow risk anymore....except if they're the agent they're regulating).
Thank you, I really appreciate this!

I’ve been spending a lot less time on this forum because whenever I read posts it seems there’s too much negativity compared to compassion and exchanging knowledge kindly with each other. It’s nice to see some people still respect each other! (Not talking about the guy who made that comment just in general. I’ve seen a lot since logging back on)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I really appreciate this!

I’ve been spending a lot less time on this forum because whenever I read posts it seems there’s too much negativity compared to compassion and exchanging knowledge kindly with each other. It’s nice to see some people still respect each other! (Not talking about the guy who made that comment just in general. I’ve seen a lot since logging back on)
The negativity usually comes when people who have no idea what is required of this hobby come here looking for help. People get a little ticked off sometimes that other people just buy pets with no idea what is required to take care of them of how to make them thrive. Corals are living animals. It would be much worse if you went to a dog forum and said my dogs keep dying I’m not sure what’s going on. I would take the time to really dive into what this hobby entails and if it’s for you. Brs 5 minute guides to reefing would be a great place to get some beginner info. It is generally the most demanding and expensive type of fish tank minus some niche ones and takes a lot of knowledge before water is even in the tank to avoid problems. If your tech recommended tap water for a reef tank it really doesn’t sound like they know much about reef tanks. Also if you can afford a tank tech you can afford a basic rodi unit that would fit your needs. I would look into some other techs but also learn how to do all the testing and maintenance yourself in the cases of emergencies like this. The main issue with doing none of this yourself is if you ever need help literally no one is able to provide any answer that will help because there are so many different things that can go wrong.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few resources for you to look at if you are interested. It’s a lot of watching but it is well worth it.
Brs 5min guides:

Mr saltwater aquarium tank webinar:

mr saltwater aquarium issue playlist:

I would take the time and watch all of those minus the few in there that may not apply to you. I can tell you right now if I didn’t watch at least the brs guides before I started my tank would not look the way it does right now. If you have any other questions about beginner info or resources let me know and I can point you to some other stuff that helped me.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back