Even the "not so pretty" have purpose! What about yours?

What's the purpose of your next fish?

• No purpose just like it!

Votes: 160 33.6%
  • Cleaning purposes.

Votes: 63 13.2%
  • Unwanted pest control purposes.

Votes: 50 10.5%
  • Aesthetic purpose (add color or movement)

Votes: 180 37.8%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 23 4.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We love our reefs but a reef tank isn't complete without some beautiful fish swimming around in between all the corals and in and out of all the caves! Sometimes we just add fish because we like how they look or swim. Sometimes we add fish because they have a specific purpose for our aquarium plan. Some of the "not so pretty" fish are more valuable in terms of what they will be able to offer to your community. So with that is mind...

What fish are you looking to add next and what is it's purpose for your aquarium?

11013482_856607154378392_4833933078685848287_n.jpg

image via Ned DeLoach

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We love our reefs but a reef tank isn't complete without some beautiful fish swimming around in between all the corals and in and out of all the caves! Sometimes we just add fish because we like how they look or swim. Sometimes we add fish because they have a specific purpose for our aquarium plan. Some of the "not so pretty" fish are more valuable in terms of what they will be able to offer to your community. So with that is mind...

What fish are you looking to add next and what is it's purpose for your aquarium?

image via Ned DeLoach
do you know what kind of fish that is? its gorgeous!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The _last_ fishes I added were a juvinile Lamark's Angel, and a pair of Ochre Striped Cardinalfish.

Why? I had to remove an Orange Spotted Rabbitfish some time back, when he developed a taste for Hammer corals. Been looking for a fish to replace him for a while. Found the Lamark's in a tank with the pair of Cardinals... made a deal on all three.

I am needing to add some algae cleaning critters, but I'm thinking astrea or magarita snails, perhaps a tuxedo urchin. Would like an additional sand stirer, too... tiger tail cuke, maybe? I'm much more likely to look towards snails and other inverts when it comes to cleanup crew. Not that fishes can't contribute... I know my Scopas tang is an algae eating fool... but adding another tang could have serious negative effects on my peaceful aquarium :)

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next addition is a few Evansis, I'm working on building up a school of those. I just love the activity adn colors Anthias add to a tank especially Evansis as they seem to school a lot and then dash into the rocks and out whena big fish passes by... gives a very realistic feel to the tank. Unfortunately getting healthy ones that will make it through QT and longterm isn't an easy task with how finicky and fragile those are. I already have 4 in the tank and another 4 in QT will keep adding till I reach 15.

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next fish will be a batch of smaller "filler in fish". Good personality but small and will add interest and fill in the gaps behind the big fish. Going to add a bangaii cardinal pair, blue line goby pair, shrimp goby and pistol shrimp, Royal gramma, and a firefish. After that comes the real stocking I;m looking forwards to, which is a lot of wrasses, trio of anthias, a mandarin, and a sandsifting goby.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image via Ned DeLoach
A large shoal of green chromis damsels. Will contain so they poop on corals. Working on humane way to contain on top of corals.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a trio of Hawaiian Flame fairy wrasses for no their reason than I was able to get them. Amazing fish, now I have a school of 6 mixed fairy wrasses...a new addiction to make it 9 wrasses in all. All playing well together amazingly.

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next fish I will be adding is a female clown because my last one, Dory, jumped out and died.:(:(:(

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%

Back