Ever been bitten?

ReeferDave01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here's one thread I haven't seen yet. Have you ever been bitten by your critters? Lets hear it.

I was doing light maintenance today, stuck my hand in the tank and for the first time ever, my Niger Tang thought my finger was a tasty snack. I definitely felt his nibble. Didn't break skin but if I could, I'd have slapped him silly lol

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never been bitten by fish. I've kept reptiles extensively and been bitten by those quite a bit. BTW, even baby anacondas HURT!

Cheers,
rant

5altkreep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female clown strikes at my hand occasionally. Even though i know to expect it, once in awhile i flinch and splash water all over, lol.

Years ago i had a (flowerhorn?) Cichlid that i inherited. He was about 10" and would break the surface and take food out of my fingers...really neat. One day i was showing him off to a friend, and he got a good chunk of my thumb with his meal! Even drew blood.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only critters to bite me maliciously has been my clowns. I get bitten/struck on the hand every day by my wrasses, tang and copperband butterfly. It's one of the consequences of hand feeding your fish. Never is anything more than a tickle but it's a little of a shock when you're not expecting it.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked in a lfs and I was gently trying to swish an eel out of his den. It was not a snowflake that just has the 2 fangs in the front. This eel had 3 rows of razor sharp teeth and he sliced my ring finger down to the bone. As a seasoned employee I did not want to alarm the customer too much so I just closed my hand into a fist, (as the eel's tank instantly turned red with my blood) and excused myself to go to the office and survey the damage. It was almost quitting time so I washed it out good, put lots of neosporin in it and butterflied it until I got home.

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns are the only ones that would maliciously bite/whip my hand. My foxface bites the crap out of my fingers trying to get at food....i dont trust his spines so i finally got smart and quit thawing food in the tank.

5Bucks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a spotted moray about 25 years ago. Used to entertain friends by making a ring with my fingers that he'd swim through. One day he latched onto a finger. He didn't want to let go. Had him hanging by my finger out of the water for about 30 seconds before he let go after a lot of shaking on my part. These days female clown very aggressive. Nips my hand every time my hand goes I the tank. Also get an occasional nip from a domino damsel

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reptiles...I had a small alligator stuck to my nose once. I had to pry it's mouth open. Large monitor lizards, pythons, anacondas, boas.

Fish... I have a Clarki who is very mean. Today at work I got stung by a fox face. Waiting for the Moral either at home or at work to bite me.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my reef tank? The female clown would go after me if I went near the nem.

Outside of the reef tank? I had a snapping turtle get a piece of my finger. I let him go after that. ;)

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Female clown, sneaky little bugger. I can usually keep an eye on her and wave her off, unless I'm trying to adjust something near the bottom of the tank. Then she will sneak up behind me and bite the back of my arm. I've smacked my lights a few times being startled, good thing it's leds.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female clown has drawn blood before. This isn't a bite, but I've also been stabbed by a long spine urchin I had. Didn't so much hurt as it being a shock.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Figure 8 Puffer play bites me. Happens when I take my finger and swirl it around the top of the tank. He spins around in circles trying to catch it. If he did latch on to me that would stink, because he has a beak that smashes through snails and clams.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back