Ever been bitten?

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked in a lfs and I was gently trying to swish an eel out of his den. It was not a snowflake that just has the 2 fangs in the front. This eel had 3 rows of razor sharp teeth and he sliced my ring finger down to the bone. As a seasoned employee I did not want to alarm the customer too much so I just closed my hand into a fist, (as the eel's tank instantly turned red with my blood) and excused myself to go to the office and survey the damage. It was almost quitting time so I washed it out good, put lots of neosporin in it and butterflied it until I got home.

Wow

InvertEnvy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, all the clownfish bite stories. My clowns have never bit me. My Starry Blenny bites me really hard though. He's always sneaky about it too. He waits till I'm not paying attention with my hand in the water then BAM!! Scares me every time lol

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this topic, I've come to a conclusion. Clowns are jerks.

When my clowns were in my old 28 gal, they'd bite me each and every time without fail. Once they've moved to the 75 gal, they stay away and has not bitten me since.

My Flame Hawkfish will occasionally try to nip me. no so much anymore but when I first got him, he wasn't having my hand close to him.

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this topic, I've come to a conclusion. Clowns are jerks.

When my clowns were in my old 28 gal, they'd bite me each and every time without fail. Once they've moved to the 75 gal, they stay away and has not bitten me since.

My Flame Hawkfish will occasionally try to nip me. no so much anymore but when I first got him, he wasn't having my hand close to him.

I would call it more of a love tap when my clowns bite me!

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had, HAD, a little ******* clown that would bite me between my fingers. I also bumped into a frogspawn or hammer that "bit" me pretty good. Nice welt on my forearm for a while.

AquaSpaces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great topic! Lol

My list to this day,

-Adult clown trigger, got lucky just a little tug of war.
- fire clown everyday, usually little pin pricks, more annoying than anything
- 24" tesselata moray, again lucky didn't get me good.
- large miniatus grouper, WORST of them all so far.

Most recent, clients guinea fowl puffer, pulled him out of aquarium on my finger. Got me twice in 2 weeks, guess who's paying attention [emoji849].

Pic included of guinea fowl
86f3447a7d2b44e77d8f328ee51a3908.jpg

Also shocked by an electric stingray, got dared to do that one.

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until recently I could say the only thing that has bit me was a small snowflake eel. Then I bought my friend's black Darwin clown. Now I get bit every time my hands go in the tank. My snowflake clown pair never bite me.

rmhlll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maroon clown gets me almost every time my hand is in the tank. She is a huge *****. Lol

Also, I kept many predator tanks in my 20's, and almost every one housed a lion fish of some sort. One of those tanks (75 gallon) had a giant lion fish ( I know, he should have been in a tank at least twice that size) that I accidentally stabbed myself on two different fingers with its dorsal spines while doing maintenance on the tank. Not a bite, but I it was worth a mention.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another clown bite lol.....they are very territorial. I have been bitten by my piranha while feeding also...fortunately they are still too small to do any damage.

SaltEverywhere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a pair of clowns that would nip at me now and then. I thought that was cute until I learned just now from this thread that clowns can draw blood. My current clowns are peaceful, but I have a sailfin tang that swats me with his tail at very inopportune times like when I am gluing coral and can't move. I thought that was cute too until I found out why they call tangs "surgeon fish" and realized my fish was trying to shank me. Fortunately he has not drawn blood yet, and now I am more cautious.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Non aquarium related, been bitten by dogfish. Also stung by stingray and jellyfish.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 148 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 51 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back