Ever been bitten?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Funny you brought this up. I had the one Regal tang in my tank for some time. She has been so shy that she would hide when I would get near the tank. Well that all changed when I added a few more tangs. Now when I hang some algae all the other tangs get so close I reach out a finger and pet them. So now she's a lot more outgoing to the pint that she took a taste of my hand the other night when I was feeding. She wasn't being aggressive, just hungry! HA!

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a couple accounts of being stung by stingrays in this thread. I haven't been stung by a stingray... I've been straight-up bitten by one! We went to an aquarium in Germany that had little ones with shark-like teeth, unbeknownst to me, who went to feed them, and one of the little suckers got all the way to the second knuckle of my pointer finger in its mouth and LATCHED on. I pulled almost the entire ray out of the water trying to get it off, before it slid down, cutting my finger with it's teeth as it went.
I've also had a giant ray try to suck on my feet once. Haha

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked in a lfs and I was gently trying to swish an eel out of his den. It was not a snowflake that just has the 2 fangs in the front. This eel had 3 rows of razor sharp teeth and he sliced my ring finger down to the bone. As a seasoned employee I did not want to alarm the customer too much so I just closed my hand into a fist, (as the eel's tank instantly turned red with my blood) and excused myself to go to the office and survey the damage. It was almost quitting time so I washed it out good, put lots of neosporin in it and butterflied it until I got home.

You got super lucky, these bad boys normally set up infection, and fast!

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 black and white clowns that constantly bite my hand when it's in the water. I don't have to be anywhere near them or their nem. When ever my hand it in the water anywhere near the tank, they B-line for me. So, I always wear gloves...Also had a torch that got me. had a chalice skeleton "bite" me. I accidiently hit it while working in my tank. It made a tille cut but wasn't bad. But it didn't feel any better so I got a little knife and tweezers and went digging and there was a little piece of the skeleton that had broken off inside my finger.

Outside the tank, dogs, ball python, gopher snake, blow snake (they don't like to let go,) horses, countless rodents, (hampsters, guinea pigs, etc.) sheep, goats, pretty much everything including sibling!

BlueCheeker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns don't bite but my starry blenny attacks me when I get near his toadstool!

IMG_2604.JPG

Bryandal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dog face puffer bites me every time I'm in the tank. Probably thinks it's a game! Haha by far the fish with the most personality

Dj smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got about 8 guys in my tank and everyone eats right out of my hand!! Always watching out for the dogface

Dj smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dog face puffer bites me every time I'm in the tank. Probably thinks it's a game! Haha by far the fish with the most personality
Mine does too!! Dude eats a ton. I guess the krill isn't enough so he wants some human flesh lol

Neptune1707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently went to add some flake food in the evening for fish...my big blue hippo tang got overly excite and slapped his tail around and I got a poke from his tail spine. Man did that sting for several hours. It felt just like getting stung by a hornet/bee. I'm usually cautious when cleaning inside the tank, but he goes and hides in his cave usually. No real fix for getting stung...just ride it out....and drink a lot of beer to forget about the sting :)

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup used to own a Niger Trigger. Was and stil is my favorite fish I've ever had. Got around the size of quarter. Once he got around 7" he started nipping my hand every time I was in the tank. Once he got almost full size he bit me good and made some pretty nasty marks.

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Female bluethroat trigger attacks me every time I put my hands in the tank, has drawn blood before. All tank maintenance is now done during dark hours as a result.

679x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to turn this thread darker than it needs to be, but should one be concerned about clownfish bites drawing blood? e.g. infection? I might want to hand-feed my fish without having to wear gloves every time. I suppose it should be fine if the clown is really small, right?

karm40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of Snowflake eels, years ago we were taking care of a friends' tank. My wife and then young son stopped to feed the fish and while my wife wasn't looking the eel came up and bit the end of her finger. Blood pouring everywhere, she didn't want to scare our son, she says: Mommy got an owie and wrapped it up. Didn't get infected but, took a long time to heel...

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use to handle venomous snakes. Went to hospital once after a snake bite. Needless to say I get bitten constantly by my clowns every time I wipe down the glass but given me previous experiences I can put up with it.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back