Ever been bitten?

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no one has been bitten by a lionfish? I would have expected at least one lion fish bite story with all the ones you see in tanks these days

van7271

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown fish bites me anytime I get close to his home. He also spits water at me while I'm cleaning his side of the tank.

Atif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brown powder tang nib my finger when i puting hand in tang for feeding....

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a bite from my female gold stripe maroon clown on a regular basis. She has also perfected getting me with her gill spurs, devil fish is the wife's favorite, to me nothing more than a frag killer with her tank remodels.

I've been nipped by most every imaginable marine species from hand feeding. Tangs, triggers, groupers, damsels, gobies the list goes on.
Most memorable is my porcupine puffer giving my thumb a nice blood blister.
Blue spot stingray missed his offering and got a finger, that pallet plate in their mouth feel weird for sure and exerts a lot of pressure.
Bamboo and wobbygong sharks can leave small cuts and create good strawberries and blood blisters.

Cleaner wrasse and scarlet shrimp love to feed off my arm worms ( forearm hair haha ) shrimp also loves to nip that sensitive skin under my finger nails, silly sucker is getting good at that pain.

If I don't feed fast enough or have no food with hands in the tank one of my hippo tangs and powder blue will peck my hand almost continuous begging for food.

Worst was a mature ring tail / blochii tang @13" starting to get really territorial over sleeping cave. This sucker tail slapped my middle knuckle index finger.
That burned severely, opened my knuckle up down to cartilage. This fish hit me so hard that it had to shake rattle and roll to get its scalpel out while I was pulling my hand back out the tank.
Stayed swollen for a few days, super glue held it shut in place of stitches. Healed after a few weeks.
Still miss that fish, had him from around 2" for 8 plus years.
Always used feeder tongs or sticks with eels, don't trust them and don't want to have a story about a eel bite haha.

Been bitten by stray voltage too :confused:

Luis Alfredo Najera

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here's one thread I haven't seen yet. Have you ever been bitten by your critters? Lets hear it.

I was doing light maintenance today, stuck my hand in the tank and for the first time ever, my Niger Tang thought my finger was a tasty snack. I definitely felt his nibble. Didn't break skin but if I could, I'd have slapped him silly lol
hahahah

calendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly when hand feeding, maroon clown and a sailfin tang nicknamed 'the Donald' are aggressive eaters...=) Also been poked by long spine urchins more times than i care to admit.

JBradford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown has started to act like it wants to bite when I'm working in the tank. But its become a jerk all around, recently started stealing food from it's nem.

When I had a porky puffer he got my arm. He was very curious on all new things in the tank and I was shoulder deep doing something in with the sand and boom he got me. It didn't hurt at all but it scared the crap out of me. I think I took about 20 gallons of water out of the tank when I jerked my arm out. lol

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bicolour Blenny rip use to nip me when I was working on the tank by his cave, the little git! It did use to make me laugh

EthanDouglas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no one has been bitten by a lionfish? I would have expected at least one lion fish bite story with all the ones you see in tanks these days

Lion fish don't really have a "bite" because they use suction to capture their prey. I've noticed that they tend to only go after food that is significantly smaller than and can easily fit in their mouth. As long as your fingers remain attached, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I've got a ~50 gallon with 2 wild caught pterois volitans (red lionfish, extremely invasive in the Northern Gulf of Mexico) in my marine science class and we regularly hand feed them frozen silversides. Very interesting fish. They'll come right up to the top of the water and suck the fish out of your fingers in a flash!

Justin poirier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't a salt water bite but when I open my fresh water tank too feed my 2 angels will stick there heads out really far just barley before there gills come out and will jus suck for food and if I put my fingure In the water the nibble on it and one time my big huge blue turquoise discus and dried biting my finger and he drew blood. I had oscars that would do the same as my angels

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clean up crew once tried to carry me home to feed his kids.

I've been latched onto by more than one blue crab. The first time when I was about 5 years old. I don't know what was worse, the crab that wouldn't let go of my finger or my grandfather cracking up uncontrollably...

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was bitten by a micro brittle star once… Well maybe it was a contusion from me slapping my arm trying to get it off. Could have sworn that thing was a kracken when I first saw it squirming up my arm.

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a big fat clown that would get me all the time. Sadly it would catch me by surprise and I'd yank my arm out flinging saltwater all over the living room. You'd think I'd have caught on after a while and expected it. I currently have a lawnmower blenny that occasionally attacks me but he also comes up to my hand and lets me pet him as well.

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank-raised clown. He almost threw himself out of the water the other day when he saw I was putting my hand in the water. He's too little to break skin (for now).

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the same clownfish stories as everyone else that never hurt but startled, worst I ever got was a clean slice on my finger from my yellow tang. The little scalpel that is on their back fin. That sucker is sharp if they want it to be. I forget how it happened but the YT was big and always peaceful. Left a 2 inch long scar for a long time!

YellowTangTail.jpg~c200

satan star

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been bitten a lot by many different creatures but the worst had to be my teselata eel

IMG_0891.JPG

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back