Ever feel to quit the hobby?

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I've been leaning towards quitting the hobby.. idk what it is but it just seems a tad boring for a while now... tank had some issues but its recovered fully now (except for a few that frags that were hit hard and are still recovering) so I don't think that's the reason I'm bored....
I think the main reason I haven't thrown in the towel yet is because of the amount of time and money I invested into my tank. Oh and plus idk what to do with the fish, I had them from the beginning of the tank and am kinda attached to them.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no problem getting out of hobbies if I don't find them entertaining anymore. You enjoyed the tank while you had it so the money and time wasn't wasted. Fish and equipment can be sold. Fortunately this is one hobby that has held my attention over the years but I can name five more that didn't lol. If you still want to stick with it, you could try changing the tank up and going a different direction to see if that renews your interest?

Peter Blue Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to try to influence you to "HANG IN THERE". You could try a different tank like sea horses but then your pretty much back to square one. Are you into shooting or smoking? There's a lot of hobbies out there for everyone.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you already know SW tanks specifically reef tanks require a lot of maintenance and money. I have been keeping SW since 1987 and I can say with all certainty that the hobby has never bored me and I have had just about every issue arise over the decades. If this hobby no longer brings you any enjoyment and is more of a chore than it's probably time, and there is not a thing wrong with that.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thing with this hobby is that there is always a new direction to go. A new fish to learn all about. A new coral to learn all about. A new chemistry topic to fully understand. You can also try combining the hobby with a new hobby to keep it interesting like building a stand or canopy (wood working), making a DIY light (simple electrical), or even making your own automation system (programming, simple electrical, chemistry, wood working?, all of the above and more).

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something that I've noticed with the hobby I consider myself very very new I've been studying, learning, i probly ask to many questions. I am still building my tank stands ( that always drove me out in the beginning) I have on my tanks I've got nine different tanks I've Got 5 closets full of equipment and tests and all of the things that I possibly might need, but I'm not sure, but I thought I would be a good idea by just in case. So I have also thought wow is this really the right thing for me and I haven't even put water in the darn thing yet. LOL

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the thing that gets me. A tank with sticks that have color with no motion and fish that just swim..
Personally I love the fish that greet you and have a personality. Softies with motion showing the flow. Get a puffer. It is not just a fish. They have a connection with the owner. Like a dog in water. I spent $8 on a Figure 8 Puffer sitting in a brackish 13g. If someone told me to chose between my $1,300 saltwater 40B or my $150 13G with the Puffer. See you later saltwater tank! Even if someone said here his $4k to spend on JF frags.
What I am saying basically is what you have maybe is boring. Some people start off getting geeked out and need to have everything for a build so they can puff their chest out. Apex, this and that piece of equipment. Then once it is maxed and a great build. They feel the need to upgrade or turn away. Have something that makes you excited to wake up to. Not, because you spent X amount of dollars on it or only because it is new. I want to break the longest life of a figure 8 puffer on record of 18 years. Still 15 more to go!

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew when I started this hobby that one day it will end. I don't feel like stopping now but I've slowed down since starting. I get bored of everything over time. My thought is in however many years if we ever move I'd try to include the reef tank with the house. This house I never intended to stay in long term either. Sounds dumb but it was my way of trying to get out if I felt bored by that time. :) if I get lucky I can always sell to the bidder that wants the fish tank as well. I always figured if I loved the hobby that would be my chance to start all over again, buy an even bigger should I not be bored at that time. Probably will have kids by then and be too lazy to look after the fish anyways.

OP
OP
Squadir

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses guys, since my original post two of my powerheads failed so I ordered a pp8 and I traded a birdnest for a softie frag. This actually got me back in the reefing mood. Strange how this little change has renewed my interest but I'm not complaining.
I think I am going to go more into zoas & lps like torches, bubble, hammer, etc. though :) I'm liking how the look and move in the currents compared to my sps.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was going to say, one way of renewing your fondness for the hobby is to visit the lfs and consider a new coral or fish for your tank. i've never considered leaving but i always get a flash of excitement when i have something new to occupy my attention.
alternatively, there is nothing to be ashamed of if the hobby doesn't do it for you anymore. to be honest your willingness to sell things off might just be the deal a person looking to get in has been waiting for. this stuff is expensive and full retail is often reason enough for it to seem impossible.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be honest your willingness to sell things off might just be the deal a person looking to get in has been waiting for.

True that. I've been on the receiving end of people quitting and got some good deals.

-free live rock 50lb
-$70 chiller
-$150 tank/stand/sump/skimmer

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people get into Reefing with the best of intentions and are enamored with the technical aspects of it. After everything is set up sometimes interest is lost. And then when you realize that Reefing is a never ending constant battle against algae it can get depressing.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people get into Reefing with the best of intentions and are enamored with the technical aspects of it. After everything is set up sometimes interest is lost. And then when you realize that Reefing is a never ending constant battle against algae it can get depressing.

I agree.

I feel apart of my interest is kept knowing I don't have my tank full of corals yet. Hypothetically if I were to fill everything out with a credit card I think I'd get bored and then it would eat at me why I spent the money. But the anticipation of having it is fun in itself. At least the slow process helps me also get some learning in to prevent other exits from the hobby.

OP
OP
Squadir

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
setting up really was a lot of fun, I think now that everything is settled in and going at a 'slower pace' its not as exciting until I have a problem to fix or get some new additions :)
cant wait to get my new pp-8 should be here tomoro :D :D

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
setting up really was a lot of fun, I think now that everything is settled in and going at a 'slower pace' its not as exciting until I have a problem to fix or get some new additions :)
cant wait to get my new pp-8 should be here tomoro :D :D

Just have a friend dump an indeterminate amount of one item you keep in your fish tank (alk, cal, food, vinegar, vitamins, whatever), boom, interesting problem. Enjoy your tank. You can thank me later. ;Yawn

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are truly over it, donate it to a school or nursing home and offer to help maintain it. Someone will be inspired to love it.

OP
OP
Squadir

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just have a friend dump an indeterminate amount of one item you keep in your fish tank (alk, cal, food, vinegar, vitamins, whatever), boom, interesting problem. Enjoy your tank. You can thank me later. ;Yawn
lol... that would definitely be a problem to fix... ;Woot;Woot

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 240g mixed reef system. Wife's father got sick, we had small kids... six months of neglect left me with a huge tank full of watermelon mushrooms. I was so disgusted, when I started looking at the dang thing, I gave up. Sold it all, at fire sale prices, and left the hobby. Took me 10 years to venture back in. That was 3 years ago, with a 60g cube. I'm now building a 140g short, wide, peninsula system, and couldn't be happier.

Hobbies come and go. Knowledge is forever. Getting _back_ into reefing was WAY easier than getting into reefing in the first place :)

The time I spent without a tank seems to have made me more appreciative of having one.... I plan to hang around for a while.

Back