Ever forget to feed your fish?

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Wow if I counted how many times I forgot to feed my fish, it would be scary. It’s never more than one day in a row but I have done it all. The worst though, and ummm yeah I do mean theee worst is when you make their food and it’s the garlic guard and the shrimp brine cubes, and green frozen cubes seaweed something, and the coral something. Mix it all up and wait for it to thaw.

Now some may or may not know that (I am a huge fan of a cold glass of milk at night or kinda all day really) but love my 2% milk more than anything. So not only did I forget to feed my fish but I was dumb enough to poor their food into my milk and stir it. (I was not paying attention). Then I finshed making dinner in which instead of putting in my frozen pizza, I put the stupid frozen fish food in the oven. Now as I go find a good Disney movie to watch, all the frozen food was kinda sinking to the bottom of my glass of milk.

Now after I found my movie (think it was wreck it Ralph) anyway I sat down with my glass of milk and put the movie in. Then (I still had not noticed I was dumb enough to poor it in there). Then as the movie starts I go to take a drink, and the garlic hit me hard. The glass was next to my mouth and I was ready to drink when I realized it. Yes it freaked me out and I almost lost my stomach in the glass of milk as well.

I go to poor the Milk down the drain with some other cleaner and rinse it out. I then notice I didn’t put the pizza in the oven. As I open the oven door the fish food was baking in my nkce clean oven. Oh was it a horrible smell when I opened the door. So moral of the story lol don’t forget to feed the fish because they will get you back. Plus never ever make dinner and feed fish at the same time, cause obviously I don’t pay attention to things while at home very well. (I so feel that I am the only one who has done this also hmmmmmm).

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Wow if I counted how many times I forgot to feed my fish, it would be scary. It’s never more than one day in a row but I have done it all. The worst though, and ummm yeah I do mean theee worst is when you make their food and it’s the garlic guard and the shrimp brine cubes, and green frozen cubes seaweed something, and the coral something. Mix it all up and wait for it to thaw.

Now some may or may not know that (I am a huge fan of a cold glass of milk at night or kinda all day really) but love my 2% milk more than anything. So not only did I forget to feed my fish but I was dumb enough to poor their food into my milk and stir it. (I was not paying attention). Then I finshed making dinner in which instead of putting in my frozen pizza, I put the stupid frozen fish food in the oven. Now as I go find a good Disney movie to watch, all the frozen food was kinda sinking to the bottom of my glass of milk.

Now after I found my movie (think it was wreck it Ralph) anyway I sat down with my glass of milk and put the movie in. Then (I still had not noticed I was dumb enough to poor it in there). Then as the movie starts I go to take a drink, and the garlic hit me hard. The glass was next to my mouth and I was ready to drink when I realized it. Yes it freaked me out and I almost lost my stomach in the glass of milk as well.

I go to poor the Milk down the drain with some other cleaner and rinse it out. I then notice I didn’t put the pizza in the oven. As I open the oven door the fish food was baking in my nkce clean oven. Oh was it a horrible smell when I opened the door. So moral of the story lol don’t forget to feed the fish because they will get you back. Plus never ever make dinner and feed fish at the same time, cause obviously I don’t pay attention to things while at home very well. (I so feel that I am the only one who has done this also hmmmmmm).

;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

oldfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed six out of seven days. Once a week no food can’t say why but I have always do it this way

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always feed my everyday, never missed one. I can immediately tell if I forgot because everyone in the tank starts getting very aggressive. Ahah.

Nailqueencat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my fishes must wear little watches! 11.30am I put a piece of nori in for the tangs and I swear they’re banging on the glass if I forget. Then they literally wait underneath the auto feeder at 1.15pm for food to fall into their mouths. 7pm they get a little frozen and if I forget, they try and get my attention whenever I walk past! Looks like I overfeed compared to everyone else here. I have forgotten to pour in the thawed frozen occasionally and it reeks the next morning .

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s a issue. If you miss a feeding, oops feeding the next feeding time. I’m quite sure in the ocean they don’t have a feeding schedule

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got drafted in the 60s I had a large catfish in a tank by itself. A year later when I got back home I found out that it was in 2" of water and it had just died a few weeks before. No one ever fed it. :eek:

Maybe it ate the parakeet. :rolleyes:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Time to consider an auto feeder whether it is electronic ( such as Apex AF) or battery operated (such as Eheim). I have the Apex on one and eheim on two others. Apex feeds flake/pellet combo at 9a, 12p and 3p. I feed the evening with frozen and weekends in between.
Should I be away, they at least got the 3 dry feedings

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No....they always coming asking for $20 so they can go to McDonalds and hang out with the other fish in the neighborhood

I yell "BE HOME BY 8PM! Its water changing night!!!" as they swim out the door....But I dont think they listen to me anymore....forcing me to get in the dang car at 815 and go NET them and bringing them back to their tank.

Frustrating.....

Last edited:

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never forget. Sometimes i dont have time but i get the wife to do it

Goby-won

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all forget. Just feed when you can.

Thought for you folks that don’t feed on a regular basis: What if you only ate one meal a day or twice a week? Wouldn’t your health be ill effected? Just saying. I feed every day (at least), but I also have good nutrient export.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I forget everyday and let my auto fish feeder take care of it for me lol. And when I want to feed I feed frozen:) auto feeder is one of the best things I bought.

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got several wrasse now so I feed a small amount 3-5 times a day. I probably average a missed feeding once or twice a week but never an entire day. As I have found a jumper a couple times, I figure when they're hungry, they have no problem trying to get it themselves.

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't count the number of times I've thawed the food only to discover later I never fed it to the tank. If the lights are still on I go ahead and feed. If not, it goes down the kitchen sink and I try it again the next day.
I thought it was just me that did that...it doesn't half smell when I come down in the morning.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
All the time!

I just feed the next day and pretend that I dont know anything when they give me that look.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought for you folks that don’t feed on a regular basis: What if you only ate one meal a day or twice a week? Wouldn’t your health be ill effected? Just saying.

My boss was on a 16 hour fast for several weeks, he wasn't eating breakfast or lunch. It was some weight loss thing, burn fat by starving. My health was ill effected...I really like my alone time at work during lunch, but he would stay right there doing work.

For some fish they can do fine with a missed meal, the smaller fish with a higher metabolism generally need to eat more. I work a trout hatchery, we routinely skip feedings on stormy days(power outtage concerns), fish moving days, fish transport days and our adult broodstock may be off feed for a month while we strip eggs. We have very fat fish though, they get a very high quality diet, they can handle a day or more off feed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back