Ever seen a neon goby think he’s a pistol shrimp?

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me neither - check out this odd behavior - last 2 days the neon goby has taken a liking to the pinkbar goby and pistol shrimp’s hole, and is picking up sand and is seemingly helping the pistol with his hole. The downside is it is keeping the pinkbar from coming out too often. Super strange.

I have a theory that since the neon goby (his name is Mr Blue) is despised by all the other fish because he tries too hard to be friends and clean them, that maybe after all that rejection he has decided to see what being a pistol shrimp might be like. Has to be it.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great. Thanks for sharing.
He’s still doing it - now the pinkbar and shrimp have built their hole on the other side of the rock. Mr Blue does not tolerate this - and picks up the rocks one-by-one in his mouth to move them out of the way so he can get in and belong. It’s a real trip lol

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s still doing it - now the pinkbar and shrimp have built their hole on the other side of the rock. Mr Blue does not tolerate this - and picks up the rocks one-by-one in his mouth to move them out of the way so he can get in and belong. It’s a real trip lol
It's going to take him forever one rock or sand pebble at a time. It will certainly keep him occupied. LOL It's funny to watch. I guess our little glass cages produce unexpected behaviour. :)

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to take him forever one rock or sand pebble at a time. It will certainly keep him occupied. LOL It's funny to watch. I guess our little glass cages produce unexpected behaviour. :)
Unless someone else has seen this before this might be evidence that we may not give these little guys as much intelligence credit as they might deserve. I think he learned how to do this by watching the pistol shrimp. Super cool!

I’ve kept freshwater fish most of my life, only last 5-6 years started on saltwater. There is a drastic difference in intelligence between the two, it is truly another planet down there

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 134 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back