Ever wanted to take action after an ICP test, but didn't have the right products on hand?

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@phevos thanks for saving my bacon! I did my calculation ignoring the .44 mg/l already present in my aquarium and that is how I got the wrong answer. Taking that into account I get the correct number.
Thanks again!!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, that's what I thought--I had done two 25% changes in the month before I sent the test in (tank is small, so there's no reason not to), so when I got the results back and saw that some of the more important traces were zero, I started fishing around the forums. Got sidetracked and made the calculator. :)
By the way - I wasn't criticizing your calculator. I have never sent an ICP - nor dosed trace elements. My coral (when I had it) - ate the same food as the fish.

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Jonify ,
I came across this post while building a spreadsheet to calculate the cost of trace elements by ppm and manufacturer. Your spreadsheet will come handy. Great job!

Are you aware of the Triton calculator?

Would there be any reason not to use it to populate the Triton sheet, rather than get the results from ICP?

Also, It have calculated the concentrations using the values from Triton calculator, compared to yours and got soe discrepancies:
1/3 of records do match your spreadsheet.
1/3 don’t match.
1/3 are new elements or products.

Additionallu, Triton has replaced Strontium and Bromine 1L bottles with a smaller bottle with 10 times the concentration. They are labelled Brx10 and Srx10 in my table below.

Any thoughts on what could be the cause of the discrepancies is appreciated.

Click the tab "Triton Traces" (it is a work in progress)

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 9.53.51 am.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is no answer for this for an individual tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes there is a reason - the Triton method - is a method - I assume they have a calculated dosing (using their methods). It would not be appropriate IMHO - to use it otherwise. But who cares - use it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back