Everything gorgonian

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided I want to fill in my tank a bit by getting a few gorgonians. They will have to be easy to keep, which I guess means non-photosynthetic.

Can anyone tell me or link me to a good description of the different type and/or recommend a source?

i've researched a bit already, including here on reef2reef but not have found too much.

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This website was helpfuI when I was trying to read up on gorgonians. It also has a section on propagation.

https://www.garf.org/36/gorgallabout/allaboutgorgs.shtml

I chose to go with photosynthetic gorgonians first, as they seem to be easier to keep in captivity. The non-photosynthetic gorgonians tend to prefer being very well fed, which could impact water parameters.

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is bulletproof, it has been through chemiclean, reef flux, dino infestation and clorox bleach

20200711_132711.jpg

kylebeano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is bulletproof, it has been through chemiclean, reef flux, dino infestation and clorox bleach
I've always believed that if a gorg can survive the coastal waters of Florida (red tide, fracking, farming, etc), it can survive a mildly well kept home aquarium, haha.
Look up "ecogorgs", they are aquacultured gorgonians from FL, and sold by many vendors. Would be a great start. I have been keeping several different subsp for a while now, and they look great in a drop-off type environment. Good luck!

20200613_222444.jpg

Edit:
Sorry, after looking into eco gorgs again, they dont seem to be marketed as such any longer, but are sold as USA cultured gorgs or others on liveaquaria and places like corals.com, see link

Last edited:

inland_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gulf coast ecosystem is another good place to get gorgonians. The photosynthetic ones are super easy to keep! Enjoy

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided I want to fill in my tank a bit by getting a few gorgonians. They will have to be easy to keep, which I guess means non-photosynthetic.

Can anyone tell me or link me to a good description of the different type and/or recommend a source?

i've researched a bit already, including here on reef2reef but not have found too much.
Holy grail of gorgonians. I'm still looking

Screenshot_20201020-192444.png

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally recommend kpaquatics. Just got a really nice one for like $30. Also gulf coast ecosystems has super nice ones for a really good price, I think they are all around $10 for pieces that are like 6” tall. Couldn’t say enough good things about these two. The photosynthetic ones are pretty easy to keep, just like any other soft coral. I feed mine but only because I also have nps that I have to feed.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back