Everything happy except...GSP?

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Curious for some input - I have a fairly new reef tank (started in Nov 2020). I've got Xenia, montiporas, candy cane, a mushroom, finger leather, pocillipora, all looking happy and in some cases growing nicely. I can't for the life of me get GSP to even come out. The last frag I had stayed hidden for a month+, and the newest one is doing the same. This surprises me because I hear that it's super hardy. Is there anything GSP specifically is more susceptible to that I can check for?

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They require fairly good water flow and moderate light.

OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, that's what I've heard, but I had grand plans about growing it all over the back wall of my tank and the quarter sized bit I have won't even come out!

Good flow and high light... I've got a 20g cube, I switched out my 150 GPH pump yesterday for one that is something like 210, in the hopes they'd like the increased flow a bit. I can't imagine my light is too bright. I've got an AI prime with blue/royal blue at 65, UV at 25, and everything else at or below 10.

Thanks for the input all

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything sounds fine. Back when I had gsp they’d close up for a while for no good reason and then be back in force. I almost think they shed periodically. Trust me, if other stuff is thriving, there’s no friggin way you killed them off!

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats Good Comedy Central GIF by Broad City

Hubert J. Farnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you running GFO at all? they don't like that stuff too much imo experience, but 5 days or so later and they come back out.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some on my back wall that grows like weed getting slammed with flow and 500+ par. I find it likes high par and high flow. When I transferred tanks last year it was left out of water for two days on the back glass of the other tank in a cold garage and it still lived.

it will come back out

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe GSP really prefer a more mature tank. I tell people to wait at least six months before trying them.

OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, that's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just leave these guys in and they'll come out when/if they come out. They are getting some sort of brown film accumulating on them, which I can easily remove with a turkey baster,
I have some on my back wall that grows like weed getting slammed with flow and 500+ par. I find it likes high par and high flow. When I transferred tanks last year it was left out of water for two days on the back glass of the other tank in a cold garage and it still lived.

it will come back out
Maybe I'll turn my blues & UV up a bit. I have been gradually increasing them and my corals have all been loving it. Dumb question, how can I figure out the PAR for my specific light's settings?

are you running GFO at all? they don't like that stuff too much imo experience, but 5 days or so later and they come back out.
Haha, no, I had to look up what GFO was :p

Thanks for the input everyone!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'll turn my blues & UV up a bit. I have been gradually increasing them and my corals have all been loving it. Dumb question, how can I figure out the PAR for my specific light's settings?

you have to rent a PAR meter or buy one. I recommend renting if you just want to get the settings needed and ramp to there

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously gsp can grow with a 100w incandescent bulb. Ive had them live out of water for over a day and survive freshwater scrub downs. Extremely difficult to kill. Renting a meter for a 5$ frag is foolish especially since you say your sps is thriving. Be patient, it’s the often overlooked key to successful reefkeeping especially since we live in the age of instant gratification.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have GSP growing the entire length of my overflow (about 20" vertical), so it can handle a lot of different PAR values and flow rates. Patience is key.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back