Everything is dead..

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the back and forth in this thread about what behavior is acceptable and what isn't is ridiculous. Points are all taken and dead horses beaten. How about we ALL stop being argumentative? If you would like to discuss whether we should berate and belittle each other we could have another thread. None of this is helping the OP get through the current situation.

OP, please let us know how things are going for you.

Thank you @CindyKz

I feel and understand the OP dilemma. I made tons of error when I started. (Long before the internet, cell phones, and thankfully Katie Perry:))

I agree, let’s not throw the water out since we tossed the baby. (Is that right?) I would work slowly on getting the tank cleaned up so to speak. Water changes, vacuuming sand, changing any mechanical filtration like sponges or sock, run something like a Polyfilter or metasorb, catbon, heavy skimming, maybe some macro algae. The toxin is not as bad a trying to pull out copper from a tank. In time you will get the water back to where you need it.

Side note, not to anyone specific since I am guilty of this as well
Regardless of the position a person takes on the situation no matter what the thread is about, there is a way to make a point and a way not to. I always say, and do, read and re read you posts. Pretend you are reading it like someone sent it to you.

Keep hope alive, save the whales, and the cia is reading our brains man.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just orderded ATM Colony because of the high ammonia which is not going down so I guess the biological filter is not good. It should be with me tommorrow or the other day. I will get some updates once it is added.
Just to make things clear the tank wasnt 1 month old but the sea apple. But still the tank was too new anyway.
Sounds like a good start. I had to look up that product. You ordered the marine version I am guessing.

Do you have anything that can bind the ammonia in the meantime? There are products that bind with ammonia, making it harmless for a day or two. A couple brand names are Seachem Prime and Amquel. Your LFS should have something.

For when you have time to read here is a link to Randy Holmes-Farley article about ammonia. Pretty in depth stuff (his writing usually is!) http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-02/rhf/index.php

OP
OP
Chris444

Chris444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good start. I had to look up that product. You ordered the marine version I am guessing.

Do you have anything that can bind the ammonia in the meantime? There are products that bind with ammonia, making it harmless for a day or two. A couple brand names are Seachem Prime and Amquel. Your LFS should have something.

For when you have time to read here is a link to Randy Holmes-Farley article about ammonia. Pretty in depth stuff (his writing usually is!) http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-02/rhf/index.php

Yes, the marine version. I don't have anything at the moment but I will go to my LFS and look for someting.
Thanks for the link!

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the mistake was related to anything but live animals I would be in total agreement. However, these are living creatures we care for and that’s a fact that deserves our uttermost respect.
Not researching a new purchase is negligent and it doesn’t matter if you’re a beginner or not, the end result is a bunch of stuff died as a result of something that was easily avoidable.

And in regards to if I would enjoy a chewing out because I did something stupid: of course I wouldn’t enjoy it, but that doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t deserve it.
Stop... please...I’m asking nice...

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the mistake was related to anything but live animals I would be in total agreement. However, these are living creatures we care for and that’s a fact that deserves our uttermost respect.
Not researching a new purchase is negligent and it doesn’t matter if you’re a beginner or not, the end result is a bunch of stuff died as a result of something that was easily avoidable.

And in regards to if I would enjoy a chewing out because I did something stupid: of course I wouldn’t enjoy it, but that doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t deserve it.
And in regards to if I would enjoy a chewing out because I did something stupid: of course I wouldn’t enjoy it, but that doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t deserve it.[/QUOTE]

“Stupid” is definitely harsh and it does matter that he is a beginner. How was he suppose to know that the lfs was more concerned with a sale then the safety of the animals? You should be able to trust the people your buying your fish/supplies. You can explain their mistake, without berating them, and help from there. R2R isn’t here to “chew people out”.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good for you for hanging in there. The best lessons hurt most...we've all been there.

I agree with BestMom, I would not drain the tank and I absolutely would not bleach rock or anything like that. Do frequent water changes and run fresh carbon. The water changes will help with the ammonia, which is likely the result of having dead stuff in the tank. Buy some Prime or another ammonia binder to temporarily lower the ammonia for the safety of the 'nem (I would do this) while you wait for the water changes to work. I don't know if or how sea cucumber toxin affects your biofilter; some bottled bacteria wouldn't hurt.

Once the ammonia and nitrites are gone you can start over slowly. Unfortunately we can't buy patience at the LFS! (if I could, I would). I had a sea cuke (not a sea apple but still) die in my tank and all of the corals on that end of the tank suffered, a few died - but there were no lingering effects.

Curious - at this point - what is the reason to not do a 100% water change (or almost) - there is no need for 'stability' at this point per se (or?) except for the anemone and Xenia? Partial water changes will be somewhat slow in removing organics (ammonia is not the biggest problem with a sea apple). BTW - I would make sure that the temp, salinity, alkalinity, etc were matched with any large water change - And - Would perhaps remove the rock with the Xenia and anemone on them - in a separate tank - change the water and then re-acclimate them as if they were going to a new tank.

Changing 100% of the water will rapidly remove most if not all of the organics from the sea apple. But - yeah bleaching rock, etc doesnt seem make sense. Just seems to me that this is one of those times where 'acting quickly' may save many problems going forward - BTW - I would also add fritz 900 etc after the water change. add fresh carbon, etc.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

He did research his new purchase - he asked his LFS if it was ok. There are lots of links out there saying sea apples work out fine in reef tanks. I wouldn't necessarily do it as a 'beginner' but thats another story... Maybe I'm wrong.

And btw - I just noticed all the posts saying stop talking about this - my opinion - first its a discussion board - and I'm not sure its up to 'us' to say to another poster 'stop talking ab out something'. A moderator, etc sure. Second - part of the issue is the boards themselves - I got an alert that there was a post I hadn't seen (I check the threads I look at multiple times) - turns out somehow?? it was on page 3 (of 5). I answered it - then noticed everyone said 'stop talking about it' - so this may also be part of the problem (i.e. people respond to their new post - but its 'out of order' (with the new system?)

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busted.. my wife is an English teacher as well. I sometimes help grade ;Cyclops

What a great hubby you are!
My husband tells me, "If I wanted to grade papers, I would have become a teacher." It's his way of saying you picked the job, Honey. You grade the papers. LOL

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - at this point - what is the reason to not do a 100% water change (or almost) - there is no need for 'stability' at this point per se (or?) except for the anemone and Xenia?

I took another author's suggestion to "drain the tank" as "drain and start over". I wouldn't do that, however I agree that a very large water change wouldn't hurt, could help. Thank you for clarifying :)

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost everyone on this forum has experienced a massive loss of life in a tank at some point. From what I understand, most major losses happen in the first year or two of reefing. We have been there. I'm sorry for your loss. Now it is time to pull yourself up and continue on with new information. Good luck. I'm glad you are a part of our forum and supportive of your new start.

Back