Everything is dying... except for the Green hair algae????

Stblindtiger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 75 Gallon Saltwater tank back in January. I added a three chamber 15 gallon (20 gallon total) sump at the end of January. I added 2 clownfish on 2/16 from Dr Reef's Quarantined fish as well as a small clean up crew consisting of Cerith, Nassarius, Margarite, and Nerite snails. I also added Clean Chaeto from Algae barn on 2/15. Everything was acclimated according to the directions on Dr Reef's site/Algaebarn. I haven't seen any hitchhikers/other worms/pests. I have been testing my water parameters pretty regularly, and changing my water every 2 weeks or so. These are my current water parameters:

Ammonia.... Sal....Nitrite....Ph....Nitrate....PO4......Kh.....Ca....MG.... temp
.15...............1.024.....0........8.12.....15...........0.68....2.5...400...1320...80

I took a water sample in to my local fish store (Mini Reef outside Philadelphia) and they confirmed my water testing results.

The clownfish started acting funny around 2/23 when the smaller clownfish started swimming erratically (upside down/sideways/etc). I originally thought it was a swim bladder issue (may have been?), took video and pictures of the clownfish and contacted Dr Reef's Quarantined fish. They agreed it might have been a swim bladder issue/Ammonia poisoning from the shipping process. The first clownfish died on 3/4 and Dr Reef's agreed to refund/replace the fish for me. That night I noticed the other clownfish swimming odd, and going up to the top of the tank for air. The next day the second clownfish was dead, and I also noticed that all of the snails stopped moving as well!

While all this was going on, I noticed my phosphates were starting to go up and I was starting to get a Green Hair Algae outbreak starting around 2/24. On 2.23 I added 250 ml of Seachem Phosguard to try and bring my phosphates down since they were around .16. By Friday of last week (3/3) there was even more green hair algae (long strands all over my aquascape) and my phosphates were even higher than before I added the Phosguard. That is when the Clownfish and snails started dying.

The chaeto that I added has lost it's bright green color, and has been taking on more of a dark green color. It has a 75W Grow light on it in the sump, but I had it timed to be lit at the same time that the Display tank was lit up. On Friday, I decided to try and switch the light schedule in the sump to an opposite schedule as the display tank to try possibly minimize the growth of the green hair algae and I removed all the phosguard since it didn't seem to be helping anything anyway.

I took a sample of my tank's water to the local fish store to get it checked out yesterday, and everything seemed to line up with my numbers. He also gave me some Turbo snails to try and take care of the green hair algae. I acclimated and added the snails to the tank, they seemed to be fine for a couple of hours, and then they closed up and stopped moving. They haven't moved all last night and all day today, so I'm thinking they may be dead now too?

Could the phosguard have killed everything? Could the high PO4 be killing everything? What is causing my PO4 to climb so high and so fast without the Nitrates getting that high?

Before adding the fish, I also added some new lights. The mounting bracket for the lights didn't fit over the rim of my tank, so I had to cut back the rim a little bit to accommodate the gap on the mounting bracket. I tried to stop as much painted plastic as I could from falling in the tank, especially since I painted some of the rim with duraseal Black paint, but some stray paint chips may have fallen into the tank. Could the paint be leaching chemicals out into the water? It honestly wasn't much dust that fell in, but some did.

I also added some DIY wave maker guards to the wave makers and it cut back on flow they are putting out so it isn't disrupting the top of the water level as much as before I put guards on the wavemakers. The guards are made out of plastic mesh, and plastic zip ties, but could something be happening with the CO2 and O2 levels in the tank??? I do have a protein skimmer running in the sump though, and the water does drain down into the sump from the display tank, so it should be getting oxygenated. With all the Green hair algae in the tank I should be getting O2 from that as well?

I just don't know what the heck is going on, and why everything is dying??? I ordered a Mail in Water sample to get all my levels checked out, but I'm hoping someone on here can figure out what the heck is happening with my tank??? Thanks in advance for any help!

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say po4 is high. But the biggest problem I see is the 2.5 KH. Should be around 8.5 or so. And temp should be 77-78 imho.
KH is the emergency tho.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a lot going on in a new tank, the tank just needs time to mature. Algae is a normal part of that maturation phase.

Can you post a pic (in white lights) of your tank? A pic really helps us to help you.

OP
OP
Stblindtiger

Stblindtiger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it would have been good to have given you tank more time to mature before putting in livestock. You went pretty fast.

I would say po4 is high. But the biggest problem I see is the 2.5 KH. Should be around 8.5 or so. And temp should be 77-78 imho.
KH is the emergency tho.
The Kh was 2.5 Meq/L, which is also 7.0 dCH... if that changes anything?

OP
OP
Stblindtiger

Stblindtiger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a lot going on in a new tank, the tank just needs time to mature. Algae is a normal part of that maturation phase.

Can you post a pic (in white lights) of your tank? A pic really helps us to help you.

Attachments

• E09D9C96-DE8A-41B8-8F77-C23476C75D13.jpeg
    E09D9C96-DE8A-41B8-8F77-C23476C75D13.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 102
  • DF287003-5430-4CBE-A23E-56C6F18CA5C8.jpeg
    DF287003-5430-4CBE-A23E-56C6F18CA5C8.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 23FFF9B1-EEB8-45DE-A935-1DF38FE37ADC.jpeg
    23FFF9B1-EEB8-45DE-A935-1DF38FE37ADC.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 100

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kh was 2.5 Meq/L, which is also 7.0 dCH... if that changes anything?
Ok. I would still try to get the dKH up to 8 or so. Po4 is high.
Unfortunately I think your tank is really young. You need 6-8 weeks minimum for it to fully cycle and stabilize before putting any livestock at all in it. Some people say to cycle with a cheap fish, but I don’t agree with that. Every fish deserves good living conditions IMHO.

OP
OP
Stblindtiger

Stblindtiger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I would still try to get the dKH up to 8 or so. Po4 is high.
Unfortunately I think your tank is really young. You need 6-8 weeks minimum for it to fully cycle and stabilize before putting any livestock at all in it. Some people say to cycle with a cheap fish, but I don’t agree with that. Every fish deserves good living conditions IMHO.
Thanks for the comments vpierce!

I started the tank on Jan 1st, 9 weeks ago now… 7-8 weeks before adding the fish. Also added bacteria at the start, when I added the sump, and when I added the fish. The tank should be cycled, shouldn’t it? I’m not having ammonia, Nitrite. Or Nitrate spikes.

The PO4 is definitely high…. I noted that in my original post. Any idea why they are going so high? How do I lower them?
Thanks again!

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a skimmer going? Have you changed/cleaned your mechanical filtration? Is your sump clean of detritus? You could blow your rocks off and stir sand bed. You could dose some microbacter7.
If you feel comfortable with it, do some research about dosing 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide…..this acts as an oxidizer. But be very careful with that, especially when new.
Be very careful about running phosban or gfo because that can tank your po4 to zero which will create more problems.
I guess the safest quick thing to do is a large water change (30-50%).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I started my 75 Gallon Saltwater tank back in January. I added a three chamber 15 gallon (20 gallon total) sump at the end of January. I added 2 clownfish on 2/16 from Dr Reef's Quarantined fish as well as a small clean up crew consisting of Cerith, Nassarius, Margarite, and Nerite snails. I also added Clean Chaeto from Algae barn on 2/15. Everything was acclimated according to the directions on Dr Reef's site/Algaebarn. I haven't seen any hitchhikers/other worms/pests. I have been testing my water parameters pretty regularly, and changing my water every 2 weeks or so. These are my current water parameters:

Ammonia.... Sal....Nitrite....Ph....Nitrate....PO4......Kh.....Ca....MG.... temp
.15...............1.024.....0........8.12.....15...........0.68....2.5...400...1320...80

I took a water sample in to my local fish store (Mini Reef outside Philadelphia) and they confirmed my water testing results.

The clownfish started acting funny around 2/23 when the smaller clownfish started swimming erratically (upside down/sideways/etc). I originally thought it was a swim bladder issue (may have been?), took video and pictures of the clownfish and contacted Dr Reef's Quarantined fish. They agreed it might have been a swim bladder issue/Ammonia poisoning from the shipping process. The first clownfish died on 3/4 and Dr Reef's agreed to refund/replace the fish for me. That night I noticed the other clownfish swimming odd, and going up to the top of the tank for air. The next day the second clownfish was dead, and I also noticed that all of the snails stopped moving as well!

While all this was going on, I noticed my phosphates were starting to go up and I was starting to get a Green Hair Algae outbreak starting around 2/24. On 2.23 I added 250 ml of Seachem Phosguard to try and bring my phosphates down since they were around .16. By Friday of last week (3/3) there was even more green hair algae (long strands all over my aquascape) and my phosphates were even higher than before I added the Phosguard. That is when the Clownfish and snails started dying.

The chaeto that I added has lost it's bright green color, and has been taking on more of a dark green color. It has a 75W Grow light on it in the sump, but I had it timed to be lit at the same time that the Display tank was lit up. On Friday, I decided to try and switch the light schedule in the sump to an opposite schedule as the display tank to try possibly minimize the growth of the green hair algae and I removed all the phosguard since it didn't seem to be helping anything anyway.

I took a sample of my tank's water to the local fish store to get it checked out yesterday, and everything seemed to line up with my numbers. He also gave me some Turbo snails to try and take care of the green hair algae. I acclimated and added the snails to the tank, they seemed to be fine for a couple of hours, and then they closed up and stopped moving. They haven't moved all last night and all day today, so I'm thinking they may be dead now too?

Could the phosguard have killed everything? Could the high PO4 be killing everything? What is causing my PO4 to climb so high and so fast without the Nitrates getting that high?

Before adding the fish, I also added some new lights. The mounting bracket for the lights didn't fit over the rim of my tank, so I had to cut back the rim a little bit to accommodate the gap on the mounting bracket. I tried to stop as much painted plastic as I could from falling in the tank, especially since I painted some of the rim with duraseal Black paint, but some stray paint chips may have fallen into the tank. Could the paint be leaching chemicals out into the water? It honestly wasn't much dust that fell in, but some did.

I also added some DIY wave maker guards to the wave makers and it cut back on flow they are putting out so it isn't disrupting the top of the water level as much as before I put guards on the wavemakers. The guards are made out of plastic mesh, and plastic zip ties, but could something be happening with the CO2 and O2 levels in the tank??? I do have a protein skimmer running in the sump though, and the water does drain down into the sump from the display tank, so it should be getting oxygenated. With all the Green hair algae in the tank I should be getting O2 from that as well?

I just don't know what the heck is going on, and why everything is dying??? I ordered a Mail in Water sample to get all my levels checked out, but I'm hoping someone on here can figure out what the heck is happening with my tank??? Thanks in advance for any help!
According to tests, your ammonia is high and toxic to fish. You want <.025
You are likely due to age of tank getting spikes in ammonia and nitrate. The green suggest Po4 is high in which you want .04-.08 range
Is tank at or near a window?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from faucet?
While Skimmer will help wwith organics and increase oxygen, May not be enough. Air stone will deliver surface agitation and oxygen exchange.

High Po4 will affect coral than fish.
I assume with results you are using Api kits?

This is surface algae due to excess light intensity and can be reduced by:
Reducing white light intensity and even number of hours of white light and adding snails such as : Astrea-turbo grazer-cerith-nerite and nassarius. Also a few Caribbean blue leg hermits and even a pencil urchin

Last edited:

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at your build thread. It seems you recently change your filters to a sump. You may need to boost your bacteria after that. So Microbacter7 or Dr Tim’s One and Only.
Any time you make a big change like that it will provoke a case of the uglies.
So do a water change, boost your bacteria and run fresh activated carbon.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats not an excessive amount of algae at all, very much in line for a 2 month old tank that started with dry white rocks.

Keep your parameters in line, but don't use bottled stuff to fight the algae. Let it pass it course while you learn to deal with it the natural way.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest you also add some Poly Filter to pull out ammonia and high phosphate right away. Hopefully, your LFS will have some. It wouldn't hurt to also run an air stone.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run that fuge 24/7. Turn off your display lights for a week. Then add anooother fish like a clown or damsel. Get that algae growing someplace other than your display. I got an ats and it keeps nasty algae out of my display. Any amount of ammonia is lethal to critters. Get that hair algae just lovin that fuge. It somepoint it will eat that ball of chaeto probably. Just harvest the algae every couple weeks and gravy.

OP
OP
Stblindtiger

Stblindtiger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at your build thread. It seems you recently change your filters to a sump. You may need to boost your bacteria after that. So Microbacter7 or Dr Tim’s One and Only.
Any time you make a big change like that it will provoke a case of the uglies.
So do a water change, boost your bacteria and run fresh activated carbon.

According to tests, your ammonia is high and toxic to fish. You want <.025
You are likely due to age of tank getting spikes in ammonia and nitrate. The green suggest Po4 is high in which you want .04-.08 range
Is tank at or near a window?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from faucet?
While Skimmer will help wwith organics and increase oxygen, May not be enough. Air stone will deliver surface agitation and oxygen exchange.

High Po4 will affect coral than fish.
I assume with results you are using Api kits?

This is surface algae due to excess light intensity and can be reduced by:
Reducing white light intensity and even number of hours of white light and adding snails such as : Astrea-turbo grazer-cerith-nerite and nassarius. Also a few Caribbean blue leg hermits and even a pencil urchin
Thanks Vetteguy and vpierce.

I cut my light back to just 6 hours of white light. I had it set for 10 hours.

I didn't realize that .15 was that high! I am using API and Red Sea Reef test kits. I checked on the turbo snails that I added yesterday, (picked them up and tapped on the inside of their shell) and they are still alive. They just closed up.

I am going to do a water change now. I just have to wait for the water to run through the RODI filter. I have always used RODI water for this tank. I have about 30 gallons ready right now, just hoping to gather about 15 gallons more before I start the water change. Might have to wait until tomorrow to do the water change since it's already almost 10:00 and I need to get up at 5:30.

I added some carbon to the baffles in between the first and second chambers of my sump. I have them in bags, and I can pull them to swap them out when needed. I just cleaned out the sponges in the last baffle of my sump, and the filter sock on Sat, so I'm letting them sit for a few more days.

I did add some Fritzyme 9 Nitrifying bacteria after I added the sump, and I also added the pink coralline algae in a bottle (which said that it included some nitrogen fixing bacteria) when I added the clownfish and snails. I just ordered some Microbacter7 so hopefully that will help get the ammonia back under control.

Thanks everyone.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back