Evo 13.5 - SPS challenge

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I currently have a SPS dominant Redsea reefer 250 that has been running for the past 2 years. The reefer is running pretty steady now so I thought I was time to experiment with a new build. Rather that going bigger, I thought that trying to get SPS growing in a nano AIO would be more of a challenge ;)

So I purchased this Evo 13.5 gallon AIO with plans to convert it into a lean mean sps growing machine!

Here are my unboxing and first impressions of the system

Stay tuned for more!

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Son has been running one for about 9 months mostly lps. I think the PAR meter said mid 200's at top of his rocks. Light needs a bit more blue. He's added the skimmer with a mod to it but still not that great. The setup is a steal on line! Xenia grows like crazy in it.

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Son has been running one for about 9 months mostly lps. I think the PAR meter said mid 200's at top of his rocks. Light needs a bit more blue. He's added the skimmer with a mod to it but still not that great. The setup is a steal on line! Xenia grows like crazy in it.

Yeah looking forward to experimenting with the system

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to set up the 5g version at work on my desk. It will start with softies but I'm sure I'll frag some of my weeds (montipora) and put them in there as well. I'm hoping the stock lights can get to around 100 par but I'm not sure I've heard some good stuff about these evo's

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update.
Tank has been up and running for 2 weeks now.
Everything stock so far. Added a 50w heater in first compartment. I didn’t add the included biological media and carbon. Instead, I took a small bag of sea chem matrix which has been in my Redsea reefer 250 for a couple of years.

I started the tank with water from the Redsea reefer as well, just to ensure that the chemistry is suitable for sps.

For
Circulation, I added 2 korallia nano pumps that I had kicking around... a bit bulky so will likely replace them.

I added 4 sps test frags about 5 days ago. Still alive, but looking a bit faded under the stock lights.

Here is a little video update

Upcoming - installation of a cool ATO that @WallyB made for me!

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a nasty electric shock when I was trying to adjust the heater today. After a bit of testing, I traced it to the fluval return pump that was leaking stray voltage into the tank. Not very impressed with this failure given that the pump is less than a month all.

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a nasty electric shock when I was trying to adjust the heater today. After a bit of testing, I traced it to the fluval return pump that was leaking stray voltage into the tank. Not very impressed with this failure given that the pump is less than a month all.

my fluval light almost caught on fire before i walked into the office and smelt melting plastic. i thought it was my pc, or water leakage to power cords but it turned out to be just the light :( i even saw smoke pluming from the feeding port... sigh... there was an issue with the sealing rubber. when they pored the rubber over the light there was an air pocket after a year of use condensation built up and caused it to burn.. light still worked but fluval is sloppy about their quality control. i now have the ai prime hd

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my fluval light almost caught on fire before i walked into the office and smelt melting plastic. i thought it was my pc, or water leakage to power cords but it turned out to be just the light :( i even saw smoke pluming from the feeding port... sigh... there was an issue with the sealing rubber. when they pored the rubber over the light there was an air pocket after a year of use condensation built up and caused it to burn.. light still worked but fluval is sloppy about their quality control. i now have the ai prime hd

Yikes sounds awful. How do you like the ai hd?

Robert McCreary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes sounds awful. How do you like the ai hd?
its a great light of course but i think its a little under-powered if i want to upgrade to a bigger tank like a 60 cube the radion would work in that situation. that is just my ipression on it. from someone who just started in this hobby i think i made a great choice, but i feel as the overal usefull ness for my future intensions are not guaranteed. and will have to spend more money, thats what makes it fail in my book.

sm32589g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a great light of course but i think its a little under-powered if i want to upgrade to a bigger tank like a 60 cube the radion would work in that situation. that is just my ipression on it. from someone who just started in this hobby i think i made a great choice, but i feel as the overal usefull ness for my future intensions are not guaranteed. and will have to spend more money, thats what makes it fail in my book.
Would you have gone with a different light?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 104 77.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 18 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back