Ex smokers. How did you quit?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R!
I'm doing my best to quit smoking, but it's so hard! I'm chewing the gum when I can, but I work in the food manufacturing industry so I can't chew it at work. I'm sort of half doing it with the nicotine gum and half cold turkey. I went 2 weeks without a smoke cracked and bought a pouch of tobacco.
Just wondering how some of the ex smokers here quit? How many times did you try to quit before you actually did?
I need some encouragement [emoji23]

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along! Ill piggyback on some encouragement. Been trying on and off to quit for ages. Im only smoking about 3-5 times a week, mostly vaping...but who knows what hidden dangers linger there. Id prefee to be done with all of it!

Those nicotine patches...no matter how tight you roll them they just wont stay lit...

Nooonan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quit smoking cigarettes by using an ecig/vape.. it's embarrassing to admit AND "they say" it's worse but I feel much much better. Its been over a year now.

Fortunately they have advanced a lot and they're easier to hide so nobody really knows. Mine is smaller than a credit card and fits in my closed fist.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quit twice. The first time was with nicotine patches when they first came out. They worked. Picked it back up like 3 years later. Quit again using Wellbutrin. I know I will never smoke again because there's never a moment I long for it. I can't say that about the first time. You can do it!!!

cheer.gif

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest thing is NEVER try a cigarette again, I quite for 2 years and bummed 1 smoke and I was hooked for another year. It comes back to you fast, and you're addicted again on the first hit.

desi_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rule was to not to buy them and then never smoked. Occasionally, once in a month or 2, I drink with some smoker friend and may have half but will feel guilty and throw it away halfway.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be mentally ready and go cold turkey. I smoked for almost 20 years. Quit for a year once, thought I had it licked, had a couple here and there then back to full blown smoking again in no time. When I finally was mentally ready to give it up, I told myself, if I ever have even a single drag, I'm going straight to the store to buy whole pack. That was enough negative incentive for me to never cheat again. It's been 8 years smoke free. Don't get me wrong, after all this time, I still crave cigarettes, and have my moments were a cigarette would be "perfect right now". As a long time ex smoker, I don't think that feeling will ever leave, it just gets easier to deal with over time.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Chantix, none of the bad side effects for me. Seven days later I did not want to smoke. I quit for six years, then I started hanging out with someone that smoked. It's time to get another prescription and not be around other people that smoke. My insurance offers a lot of incentives to quit, they even sent me a big box of nicotine patches to try.

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be mentally ready. I have smoked since I was 15 and smoked for 20 years. Quit at least 3 times and this time was the for good. Have not had a smoke for 4 years now and the craving is no longer there.
Quit cold turkey. I still remember my last smoke that I had enough and don't like the way cigarette tastes anymore and quit just like that. The hardest part for me was when my body started to look for the nicotine and it was the worst feeling in the world. I won the battle in the end.
Be strong and you can do it.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've smoked for 40 yrs. 2 months ago I went Cold Turkey.
Will Power is the key! And I have a friend who chain smokes cigars, we work together everyday, drive together everyday!
Need help, lick a ashtray, keep that taste in your mind! I didn't, but I keep that description in my brain.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cold Turkey was the only proven method with research to back it up until there was money to be made on the "stop-smoking" market. I believe CT is still the only way. I quit New Year's day - almost 30 years ago. If you can go a couple of weeks, you're golden.

Slim_Okrug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just said myself ok it is enough. Smoked for 18 years and just over night i said stop. It was in october 2016. Now i got my taste sences back and my nose is working great again hehehe. Cant describe how taste of food was changed ( to better ofc ).

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I used to smoke 3 packs a day. On top of it i had 2 cups of coffee in the morning, 2-4 hrs later Large cup with shot of expresso from Starbucks and one energy drink. I believe i tried everything! I mean , patches, gums, accu, prescription pills.... After few years i met this doctor and he recommended me Tabex. It's kind of hard to find here...First i was mehh,natural won't do much but once i started i liked it so much. It was way better that things i tried before! Highly recommend this stuff! It's been 8 or 9 years since.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just said myself ok it is enough. Smoked for 18 years and just over night i said stop. It was in october 2016. Now i got my taste sences back and my nose is working great again hehehe. Cant describe how taste of food was changed ( to better ofc ).

My parents both smoked 2 packs a day. I grew up with asthma, puffing on inhalers at least a few days a month. I piled salt and other spices on my food. I just humored people when they said that flowers smelled good, because I'd never been able to smell one. I didn't realize it at first, but I got my senses back when I went to boot camp. I realized that flowers can smell absolutely amazing. I also started enjoying a much greater variety of foods because their flavor was appealing instead of just being something to chew and swallow.

I suppose I'm suggesting that another factor in your decision to quit is that it can also improve the lives of those around you. The key is that you need to be ready and committed.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add that if you want to quit it definitely you must keep yourself busy-especially your brain!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back