Excessive vibration Gyre 330's

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two xf330's in my 90g. I usually clean them every 3 or 4 weeks, which consists of swapping out impellers and cages with clean ones (I bought an extra set) and brushing out the inside of the motor housing. I make sure everything is fitted properly and that I'm not missing any bushings or O rings. One of the 330's always seems to vibrate too much, which I usually take apart again and double check, but it still seems to vibrate too much. So much so, that I can feel the vibration through 1/2" glass, which you can hear standing next to the tank.
Anyone else experience this happening?
I'll try to take a video and post it.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 230's and both have are loud as freight trains. I clean them and they are actually louder for at least a week. Then they quiet down a bit for two weeks then get a bit dirty and are back to being loud again.
I hate them and cant wait until they wear out so I can replace them.
No solution that I know of. I hope for others sake that the newer designs are better but I wont buy another Gyre in the future.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I'm kinda in a love-hate relationship with them now, much like my MP40's. I really like the flow they produce (gyres) and allow for great viewing on the sides of my tank, but the lack of programming them in finite percentages leaves me exploring other options. Especially with no integration with an apex. If Tunze made a laminar flow pump, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

csmaxspect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two xf330's in my 90g. I usually clean them every 3 or 4 weeks, which consists of swapping out impellers and cages with clean ones (I bought an extra set) and brushing out the inside of the motor housing. I make sure everything is fitted properly and that I'm not missing any bushings or O rings. One of the 330's always seems to vibrate too much, which I usually take apart again and double check, but it still seems to vibrate too much. So much so, that I can feel the vibration through 1/2" glass, which you can hear standing next to the tank.
Anyone else experience this happening?
I'll try to take a video and post it.
Hi, may we know if you are from USA? If you are, please kindly head over to www.coralvue.com/support and submit a ticket. One of the reps from our distributor Coralvue will be able to help you to have a check on the pump

csmaxspect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 230's and both have are loud as freight trains. I clean them and they are actually louder for at least a week. Then they quiet down a bit for two weeks then get a bit dirty and are back to being loud again.
I hate them and cant wait until they wear out so I can replace them.
No solution that I know of. I hope for others sake that the newer designs are better but I wont buy another Gyre in the future.
Hi, may we know if you are from USA? If you are, please kindly head over to www.coralvue.com/support and submit a ticket. One of the reps from our distributor Coralvue will be able to help you to have a check on the pump

csmaxspect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 230 thats loud enough that I can hear it anywhere in the house.
Hi, thanks for your support. As you know, after time passes by, there's possiblity any sand, salt or debris might get in the motor and cause the noise.
Please kindly take out the shafts from motors and see if there's anything(salt or debris) stuck in between. The removal methods of Gyre 200 series motors is in below link And if necessary, put some solid lubricant(For example, Vaseline) around the bushings of the motor, then run it in clean water to take in the lub, and see if it can reduce the noise.

Barrnone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for your support. As you know, after time passes by, there's possiblity any sand, salt or debris might get in the motor and cause the noise.
Please kindly take out the shafts from motors and see if there's anything(salt or debris) stuck in between. The removal methods of Gyre 200 series motors is in below link And if necessary, put some solid lubricant(For example, Vaseline) around the bushings of the motor, then run it in clean water to take in the lub, and see if it can reduce the noise.

Looks like mine is broken? The wierd thing is the piece with bushing is smooth.

20200414_160131.jpg

Barrnone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The part is just different from the video then. Is it wise to put a little vaseline on the bushings for the impellers as well?

Barrnone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that fixed it. At 100% power they still make noise but the loud one is now slightly quieter than the quiet one. I'll probably do the same thing to the 2nd one. Thank you for the help @csmaxspect and I'm sorry @minus9 I feel like I hijacked your thread a bit.

csmaxspect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that fixed it. At 100% power they still make noise but the loud one is now slightly quieter than the quiet one. I'll probably do the same thing to the 2nd one. Thank you for the help @csmaxspect and I'm sorry @minus9 I feel like I hijacked your thread a bit.
No problem, I am glad to hear the issue is fixed.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a xf250 for about 2 years now. Hooked up to my apex, I have endless possibilities for control, and it's not any louder then my MP's.

Only thing about it I hate, the constant cleaning! If it's not cleaned at least once a month, the flow almost completely stops from it. It's never really dirty, just some algae on the blades which diminishes flow substantially.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Hey, no worries. It helped solve a problem, so that's good. I was told that the vibration I'm experiencing is normal.
Happy reefing!

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had a xf250 for about 2 years now. Hooked up to my apex, I have endless possibilities for control, and it's not any louder then my MP's.

Only thing about it I hate, the constant cleaning! If it's not cleaned at least once a month, the flow almost completely stops from it. It's never really dirty, just some algae on the blades which diminishes flow substantially.

That's what I found when researching these types of pumps, which is why I purchased the extra set of cages and impellers. At least cleaning only takes a few minutes for each pump. The cost of two sets was only slightly higher than the cost of a single wet side for an MP40.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back