Excited Newbie!

eliza209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having freshwater tanks most of my 58 years, I'm finally starting my first saltwater tank! My son, a realtor, was given a used Biocube 29 from a client who needed it out of their house and he passed it on to me. It had been in great working condition, according to them.

After watching LOTS of videos and reading, I have the tank cleaned out and almost ready to go. However, as I filled it up with freshwater for one last rinse, I saw water flowing from chamber 1 into chamber 2 towards the bottom of the back wall. I know water is supposed to flow over and through the filter material. The pump is working great, and chamber 3 stayed just above the max line. Is this normal flow between 1 and 2 normal, or do I have a leak to fix?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Upvote 0

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make sure we are understanding... Chamber 1- is where the water flows in from the tank. This is where most people will put their heater and or skimmer. chamber 2 (middle chamber),- the water should flow from the top of chamber 1 over the filter media baskets. Chamber three- the water should flow from the bottom of chamber 2 into this one It has the return pump to then send the filtered water back into the tank. The max line is for freshwater. I often fill over the max line so the trickling noise in the back is reduced.

Also, welcome!

Upvote 0

Reefer Matt

Blue Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having freshwater tanks most of my 58 years, I'm finally starting my first saltwater tank! My son, a realtor, was given a used Biocube 29 from a client who needed it out of their house and he passed it on to me. It had been in great working condition, according to them.

After watching LOTS of videos and reading, I have the tank cleaned out and almost ready to go. However, as I filled it up with freshwater for one last rinse, I saw water flowing from chamber 1 into chamber 2 towards the bottom of the back wall. I know water is supposed to flow over and through the filter material. The pump is working great, and chamber 3 stayed just above the max line. Is this normal flow between 1 and 2 normal, or do I have a leak to fix?
Welcome to R2R! There may be a small leak in between the chambers. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as it stays contained in the aquarium, and flow is going over the top of chamber 2. I put my heater in chamber 1, and use a filter sponge in chamber 2. Good luck, and welcome to the addiction!

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 113 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%

Back