Excuse the rant

Auflyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys but I just need a second to rant. This is regarding the Tang police and no one specifically. Can we talk about how we as reef keepers are ambassadors of the hobby? Too many times I see someone post a genuine question about housing let’s say for example a small yellow or purple tang 2-3 inches in a 55 gallon to the quick response of someone bluntly calling them an idiot. Most of the times it’s more passive and not direct name calling but still guys come on. The difference between a 4 foot and 6 foot tank pale in comparison to the distributor housing the fish came from, or on the other side of things the vast stretch of reef the fish was taken from. I have literally seen the same members of “tang police” talk about how they have a German Shepard and they live in a one bed room apartment.... No, this post isn’t about me but I’ve been Reading post after post this morning and it’s normally on brand new reefers posts. Please guys let’s be tactful and encourage and educate not harass and belittle. For the record I believe under appropriate settings a specific sub species of tang can be kept in a 55 gallon maybe not for the entirety of its life but for a decent portion. That’s just my opinion and my experience but each is entitled to their own feelings in the matter.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say I share your frustration! It doesn't strike me as very wise to assign arbitrary size standards when dealing with variables like individual personalities, overall social structure, amturity levels of the fish in question, socialization to people and pets and potential disease problems are so complex. What aquarists need to be able to determine is if a fish is acclimating properly AND be able to discern changes in the behaviors of the fish in their aquarium and discern when something needs to be done. If anything this is more important as fish mature which in the case of tangs is when they may have been established for 3,4 or 5 years. This paper may be a helpful for some: Steriotypies as Animal Welfare Indicators

OP
OP
Auflyfish

Auflyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response and resource! Yeah I’ve always found it weird some of the “standards” and ways people try to enforce it. It’s all about the care of that specific animal. I just don’t see how someone can harass individuals about size and how it’s not properly caring for that animal when some of the ones pointing fingers aren’t Qt’ing or as I referenced above keep other types of animals in sub standard care. Once again it’s all preference and up to that individual animals complex needs and behaviors and shouldn’t be left to broad generalities

OP
OP
Auflyfish

Auflyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say I share your frustration! It doesn't strike me as very wise to assign arbitrary size standards when dealing with variables like individual personalities, overall social structure, amturity levels of the fish in question, socialization to people and pets and potential disease problems are so complex. What aquarists need to be able to determine is if a fish is acclimating properly AND be able to discern changes in the behaviors of the fish in their aquarium and discern when something needs to be done. If anything this is more important as fish mature which in the case of tangs is when they may have been established for 3,4 or 5 years. This paper may be a helpful for some: Steriotypies as Animal Welfare Indicators
Dove into this after responding this is a very fascinating read thanks again

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would have to agree but i have seen a blue hippo in a evo and that is just mean even if its small. i would say depending on fish i would say just use your commen sence and think of the animal be for buying. i have a scopas tang in my 20 right now and i know its way to small for him but hes small right now and im just setting up a 90g and to me that should be good for him

Back