EXOTIC MARINE OVERFLOW BOX?

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, just curious. I'm going to be having a tank built next year. And have been looking at a ton of boxes. I really like this design. And that its shallower in the rear of the tank by 2 inches which means I can add 2 inches of tank depth. But with that said the overflow box will be against the wall so I dont know how accessible it would be to fish out a fish. Is the slot completely submerged? Or Is it just enough that water flows through?

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a snail get stuck in mine (rattle noise) once but it wasn't hard to remove. I have never had a fish go through mine. However, I did have a very sad BTA shrink down and ended up in my sump.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, just curious. I'm going to be having a tank built next year. And have been looking at a ton of boxes. I really like this design. And that its shallower in the rear of the tank by 2 inches which means I can add 2 inches of tank depth. But with that said the overflow box will be against the wall so I dont know how accessible it would be to fish out a fish. Is the slot completely submerged? Or Is it just enough that water flows through?
The bottom of the slot basically marks the waterline. Honestly the slot is like 1/2”. It would take a small fish to enter and probably an unhealthy one at that.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep fish/inverts out of the overflow box?
I've had mine since Jan. I've had a wrasse, scissor tail goby and lawnmower blenny end up in the outter chamber. Used a small white brine net to scoop them out. I always keep a bulkhead overflow strainer on the main drain.

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Pedal Dangit When did you get yours? Is the tank up and running? What is your tank size and which overflow model did you get?

I actually was going to use the 20" for the end of a 120 gallon peninsula style but that project is on hold. I ended up using it on a 40 breeder, I also use one of the sump kits too. it is just a basic tank with easy soft corals and some clowns.

build thread:

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's what I've found out. My exotic marine should be here today. If only I had my SCA tank to put it on.... Lol.

Oh well, a month isn't that long to way.

Did you receive it last week, and have you installed it yet?

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you receive it last week, and have you installed it yet?

Yup got it last week, but I have no tank to put it in yet. It'll be going into an SCA 120.

The construction is solid, this thing is a beautiful piece of gear. (haven't removed all the protective paper yet.

20190915_092824.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back