Experience with hydrogen peroxide on corals.

Have you used peroxide on corals or in your tank before?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you ever used H202 on corals as a dip or to kill algae. If so what’s your experience with it. Did it work. Also what type should you use. Regular Medicean cabinet peroxide? Thanks.
I believe there is a thread here about people trying this in their DT to kill velvet.

It would change the Quarentine game for sure!

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I saw a video on BRS YouTube channel and they were spraying in on algae. Would love to try this out to see if it works. Hoping I could talk to others that have had success before.
Yes I have heard of this as well. Also dosing in the tank to get rid of algae. As velvet is a dino it makes sense.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a zoa frag from my friend and there was cyano on the plug so I dipped with revive and then again with H2O2. It cleaned the plug and the zoa opened up within a couple hours. Doing well. I did not measure how much I put in.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres h2o2 / SW dips I’ve had great luck on a variety of algae & hydroid pests (as per of qt) for Zoanthid dips. Zoas did fine. It is stressful on them tho vs other antibacterial dips.

OP
OP
ReefReadyYouTube

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres h2o2 / SW dips I’ve had great luck on a variety of algae & hydroid pests (as per of qt) for Zoanthid dips. Zoas did fine. It is stressful on them tho vs other antibacterial dips.
My hammer coral and torch coral have algae on there stalks. Was think about giving them a dip.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H2O2 is a "chemical" that is put into solution like 3% for example, so when you are saying use 50/50 that would be very very dangerous to use a 50% H2O2 solution it would practically be flammable.

I've used H2O2 spot treatment for corals many times, for two main scenarios:
  1. there is algae gaining hold on the coral's exposed skeleton/base
  2. new coral that I Want to kill parasites/hitchhikers
After doing an H2O2 treatment I do an iodine based coral dip (seachem coral dip) to help heal any damaged tissue that the H2O2 may have caused.

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was Justin credible who spoke about using peroxide as a coral dip, to kill algae and for disease. It’s a very informative video for sure.
I saw a video on BRS YouTube channel and they were spraying in on algae. Would love to try this out to see if it works. Hoping I could talk to others that have had success before.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used it on zoas, chalices, favias, and acans. I do 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide 4 parts tank water. Let soak for three minutes. Rinse, then put back in tank. Works well and doesn’t bother those types of corals too much. I’ve heard of people doing a stronger mixture and I have tried it but I noticed it stresses the corals a lot more.

Jchavez1919

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used H2O2 on all my most recent corals. 2 zoas, 1 euphyllia, 3 acans, Yuma mushroom, a rainbow monti and another misc. plating monti. I mixed H2O2 (3%) with tank water at a ratio of 1:4. Only gave each a two minute dip in H2O2 and then sat in clean tank water for 30 minutes followed by an iodine dip. All were upset for a day or two, but look healthy now. Had some bubble algae on a frag plug and after scraping off and dipping in H2O2 never reappeared (3 months now).

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At Meijer they sell H2O2 in a nice spray bottle for like $1.59.... worth the price having a nice spray bottle handy once the H2O2 is gone.

Anyways.... I've pulled entire pieces of LR and spray the LR drenching it in H2O2 spray.

After about 5mins of soak time with the spray applied I then follow up with a nylon scrub brush the size of a toothbrush.

After that LR goes back in place. Within 24hrs all signs of GHA..... g o n e

A LOT to be said aquascaping where practically every LR can be pulled fairly easily without a bunch of LR falling like dominos

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is velvet an algae? Or disease?
Disease but is in the dino family.

Screenshot_20200118-233422_Chrome.jpg

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've been dosing h2o2 1 mL per 10 gallons the last couple of weeks to fight dinos

invert wise it has been totally safe, haven't noticed any losses

coral wise i did lose a torch and a blasto, although i don't really think that was the h2o2, more tank issues. my corals haven't been happy for over a month, my alkalinity consumption is basically zero.

on the plus side, i haven't seen dinos in over a week so seems to be helping a bit.

i haven't tried it in dip form. probably ok for softies/lps. sps i'd worry a bit

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever used H202 on corals as a dip or to kill algae. If so what’s your experience with it. Did it work. Also what type should you use. Regular Medicean cabinet peroxide? Thanks.
I have dipped zoas and acans in 100% h2o2 for two minutes for algae. Worked great. I saw a video on it and gave it a shot.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 61 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.0%
Back