Experienced Acropora SPS Keepers 1+ Year Help Needed

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is some non-sequitur stuff right here. Can you seriously not see the differences in what is being mentioned here, or are you just being argumentative?

Strawman, reductio ad absurdum and now non-sequitor all in one thread? Who had to look some of these up? Be honest...

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... I had to look up something that someone linked. . . It's called reading kiddo :)

And if you can't see the similarity, there's no help for you. But please, go back to your thread in which everybody (including boom) disagreed with you.

Have a good day.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way I did that is if you strawman me. Which you did. :)

Well, what can I say. Read some things before you copy paste, and maybe try and defend the first articles you didn't read, before you spam some others. Also, take the things you say to heart, before conflicting with your own thoughts and statements. Maybe delete your conflicting posts, or have the same thought for more than two days before you give conflicting advice? Not sure, those are for you to decide kiddo.

Peng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals look like they are starving. Run carbon passively in a mesh bag. And don’t even bother using GFO in this young & starved tank. Reduce carbon dosing. Try to run NO3 at 1 -2 and see how you and your corals like it. Sometimes I really can’t get around why people try to do carbon+GFO+carbon dosing just to kill their corals. There used to be a wide-spread and false belief that we need to try anything and everything to reduce N&P to non-detectable. That is no long true.

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything @Peng said is gold, but here's the crux of modern reefing right down here.

There used to be a wide-spread and false belief that we need to try anything and everything to reduce N&P to non-detectable. That is no long true.

Reef keeping post 2002 in all it's glory ladies and gents.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, let's agree to disagree and keep it civil. You've made your points. :)

I agree with the low nutrient hypothesis in this case, coupled with the fact that it's a young tank.
Get rid of the gfo until you start seeing a bunch of algae and have no other choice. Just like with dosing, don't add or use anything unless you are testing and/or having a problem.
GFO is nasty (strong) stuff. I don't use it anymore unless I really need to.

I am in the live rock camp, never wanting to start a tank with dry rock.
But if you do go that route, you need a lot more patience. Your tank will get there eventually.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, let's agree to disagree and keep it civil. You've made your points. :)

psh, what are you, a moderator?

But yes, you're right. None of us are the type to back down, which in an of itself is absolutely respectable to me. Unfortunately we did not use our powers for good. I feel confident that we will be more behaved next we meet.

OP
OP
Zagreus

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update and more to follow based on everyone's advice about running a sterile tank and increasing nutrients. I cut NoPox from 4ml to 1ml, took out half my gfo and have not replaced the other half in 2 months and have been feeding heavily. My Nitrates are up now in the 5-12 level and my Phosphates have been holding between .02-.08 level.

Many of the corals I was complaining about before have had positive color changes and growth. Coraline algea growth has taken off. I am seeing new tunicates and sponges.

Also getting some bad algea like green with some bubbles in it, red carpet type algea, both that I was able to blow off with a turkey baster and some brown green hair algea that I think I need to get a toothbrush for as that wont blow off. I am thinking about buying a marine land magnum water polisher to run while I am cleaning to suck up the algea I am knocking off the rocks, so my main return and flow pumps do not ginzo it and spread it more in my system.

I have a few corals that have no change and will be asking advice about them later once my Trition test comes back. But the advice you all provided has worked great. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

20171024_110444.jpg

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae happens and is part of a healthy ecosystem. With a combination of manual removal and time it will go away. The red carpet like algae is most likely cyanobacteria -- also harmless unless it literally grows over your corals. Up the flow, turkey baster it (that's now a word), and manually remove it.

I'm glad things have turned around for you. Nutrients are important for corals, and way too often I see tanks that are p04 starved having the worst paling.

Personally long ago I had paling and couldn't fix it. I kept dosing no3 and it just wasn't fixing it.. Then I decided to try something everyone told me not to do -- Dosing phosphates helped tremendously.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back