Experiment to see if certain corallivore butterflies can be kept in reef aquarium.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing some tedious research into Corallivore Butterflies and the selectivity displayed by some certain species in choosing which coral species' they choose to prey upon, I believe it may be possible to keep some species in a reef tank as long as their preferred coral species are absent. (Of course the butterfly will have to be weaned onto an alternative diet beforehand and fed regularly...I would never have one of my fish go hungry.) I believe this is also highly depended among butterfly species though as some will prey on practically any coral while others are MUCH more selective. In the next few days I will be buying a C. bennetti butterfly to prepare to test this theory and hopefully have success to shed light upon the fact that some of these species certainly can be kept with the proper care.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it may be possible to keep some species in a reef tank as long as their preferred coral species are absent. (Of course the butterfly will have to be weaned onto an alternative diet beforehand and fed regularly...I would never have one of my fish go hungry.)
The problem is, what if it doesn't anything besides corals?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is, what if it doesn't anything besides corals?
I'm pretty confident I can wean it onto live aquarium foods such as white worms, oysters, or some type of shellfish since I've done it before with corallivore butterflies...as long as you get them in good shape and not extremely stressed from shipping there's a pretty good chance of success weaning them onto aquarium fare

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Keep us updated. If you can find a way to keep obligate coral eating butterflies, that would be awesome. Some of those fish are showstoppers.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Keep us updated. If you can find a way to keep obligate coral eating butterflies, that would be awesome. Some of those fish are showstoppers.
Will do...and your right, some of them are real beauties! Here's the Bennetti... Screenshot_2022-04-02-01-24-32-384_com.facebook.orca.jpg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish it was possible to get a mated pair of these guys... they're one of my favorite fish I haven't kept yet

TheOldSalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a guy in France who started a company devoted to this very thing. The name translated into English as "Aquafish."
Okay, so no points for originality on the name, BUT...oh man, did he ever have an original idea.

It's pretty much impossible to wean obligate corallivores away from their coral food.
UNLESS...

This guy figured out that LARVAL fish are omnivores up to a certain size/age, and then they differentiate to eat coral.
Then he figured out that if corals are not available at that time, the fish remain omnivorous into adulthood.

He started a company with the idea of selling these specially grown fish. It should have worked. I don't know what happened in the end.

Anyway, once the fish have switched their metabolic gears to eat corals, ( or sponges, I'm looking at you, Rock Beauty ) then it's too late. Getting them to eat and survive on other foods becomes extraordinarily difficult if not practically impossible.
If you can get VERY young ones, though, so young that you'd pretty much have to somehow get them as recently metamorphosed juveniles, then you're golden. In fact, I'd highly recommend getting a batch of fry however you can and selling the fish you don't need when they're half grown for a big profit.

Side note: ATLANTIC butterflies such as Foureyes and Bandeds and Spotfins will eat California blackworms! I used to work at the Gulfarium, an aquarium/marine park in Florida, and I always had pretty much every Atlantic Butterfly species on display. I fed them blackworms and chopped up anemones, and they ate them with gusto. Then I added various other frozen foods in the hope they would eat them, too, but the results were mixed.

It's too bad the Pacific butterflies won't eat them. :(

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done, and has been done by a few. You just neef alot sps for them to graze on and you'll never have polyp extension.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a guy in France who started a company devoted to this very thing. The name translated into English as "Aquafish."
Okay, so no points for originality on the name, BUT...oh man, did he ever have an original idea.

It's pretty much impossible to wean obligate corallivores away from their coral food.
UNLESS...

This guy figured out that LARVAL fish are omnivores up to a certain size/age, and then they differentiated to eat coral.
Then he figured out that if corals are not available at that time, the fish remain omnivorous into adulthood.

He started a company with the idea of selling these specially grown fish. It should have worked. I don't know what happened in the end.

Anyway, once the fish have switched their metabolic gears to eat corals, ( or sponges, I'm looking at you, Rock Beauty ) then it's too late. Getting them to eat and survive on other foods becomes extraordinarily difficult if not practically impossible.
If you can get VERY young ones, though, so young that you'd pretty much have to somehow get them as recently metamorphosed juveniles, then you're golden. In fact, I'd highly recommend getting a batch of fry however you can and selling the fish you don't need when they're half grown for a big profit.

Side note: ATLANTIC butterflies such as Foureyes and Bandeds and Spotfins will eat California blackworms! I used to work at the Gulfarium, an aquarium/marine park in Florida, and I always had pretty much every Atlantic Butterfly species on display. I fed them blackworms and chopped up anemones, and they are them with gusto. Then I added various other frozen foods in the hope they would eat them, too, but the results were mixed.

It's too bad the Pacific butterflies won't eat them. :(
I've actually had success weaning an 8 band butterfly (usually considered an obligate corallivore) onto fresh oysters when it was very young and the further I dive into the research regarding each species eating habits I see certain tendencies I may be able to exploit but I agree 100% they need to be young...it's controversial whether these Benettis are 100% obligates and since I have access to them practically fresh out of the sea I think it's worth a shot

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done, and has been done by a few. You just neef alot sps for them to graze on and you'll never have polyp extension.
My goal is to wean certain select species onto alternative foods...it's been done by a few but I think my easy access to the fish where I am will help me since they won't be starved and so stressed when I get them

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to think what I would be willing to give for a Chaetodon ornatissimus that wouldn't eat coral. Anyone know what their preferred coral is? I've seen them diving in Hawaii and there were no acros to be seen there.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to think what I would be willing to give for a Chaetodon ornatissimus that wouldn't eat coral. Anyone know what their preferred coral is? I've seen them diving in Hawaii and there were no acros to be seen there.
Some species of butterflies will eat from dozens of species...it doesn't have to be acros...acros just seem to be preferred by a number of species even though they're willing to eat others

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal is to wean certain select species onto alternative foods...it's been done by a few but I think my easy access to the fish where I am will help me since they won't be starved and so stressed when I get them
I have no idea the differences between Atlantic and pacific but I will share what experience I have as I really like all the butterflies, and would love to have some more in the future.

Had a punctato for years that never touched a coral or nem. It was only housed with shrooms and zoas and bubbletips. Didn't eat anything for 3 weeks but eventually started on live black worms (offered everyday of those first 3 weeks). Eventually took all frozen foods, and pellets.

3+ copperbands and all completely reef safe. One for about 7 years presently and one for about 3 maybe. Started them all on live black worms and then frozen mysis. Key for copperbands is using a feeding container only they can access so they can eat at their own pace. I have several threads explaining that.

Recently tried a Klein's, to be utilized in several large frag tanks. So far leaves alone SPS, zoas, shrooms, and clove polyps. Does pick at the large radioactive paly's but that doesn't bother me. And aptasia of course. Has only been less than 2 weeks on this guy, but he ate frozen on day 2 with a purpose and already fattening up.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea the differences between Atlantic and pacific but I will share what experience I have as I really like all the butterflies, and would love to have some more in the future.

Had a punctato for years that never touched a coral or nem. It was only housed with shrooms and zoas and bubbletips. Didn't eat anything for 3 weeks but eventually started on live black worms (offered everyday of those first 3 weeks). Eventually took all frozen foods, and pellets.

3+ copperbands and all completely reef safe. One for about 7 years presently and one for about 3 maybe. Started them all on live black worms and then frozen mysis. Key for copperbands is using a feeding container only they can access so they can eat at their own pace. I have several threads explaining that.

Recently tried a Klein's, to be utilized in several large frag tanks. So far leaves alone SPS, zoas, shrooms, and clove polyps. Does pick at the large radioactive paly's but that doesn't bother me. And aptasia of course. Has only been less than 2 weeks on this guy, but he ate frozen on day 2 with a purpose and already fattening up.
Yeah, some butterflies are facultative corallivores instead of obligate corallivores meaning even in the wild they'll readily take other foods as well as some coral here and there...there are also some butterflies that don't prefer coral at all and primarily go for small invertebrates

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very few obligate corallivore butterflies are imported into the U.S. because they rarely make it very long after arriving starving and extremely stressed due to the length of the shipping process

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still prefer a Roaops butterfly, or maybe a Prognathodes any day even if these corallivores could be kept successfully. They generally have simpler patterns but that’s actually what makes them so much more pleasing to see. You’re not trying to comprehend nearly as many colors, weird as it sounds.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still prefer a Roaops butterfly, or maybe a Prognathodes any day even if these corallivores could be kept successfully. They generally have simpler patterns but that’s actually what makes them so much more pleasing to see.
Really? A lot of people think they're absolutely beautiful (not that there aren't plenty of other beautiful fish) and would love to be able to keep them but of course everyone has a right to their own opinion

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Yeah was really just stating my own opinion. I’m not saying they aren’t beautiful, just that I have other preferences when it comes to butterflies lol. Good luck with your journey!
Thanks man! Btw, I have a few coral favorites that would seem crazy to most people haha

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back