Expired? Bacteria Culture

umutcancamci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

After moving house recently, I re-set up my tank. However, I have hesitation about my bacteria culture. I have AF pro bio S, bio S, and NP pro but all of them’s expiration date is February 2023. I smelled but none of them smell bad they smell what they should smell like. I kept them in the fridge since I bought them. My question is do they realle expire in case we store them under proper conditions? Do I need to buy a new one?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

After moving house recently, I re-set up my tank. However, I have hesitation about my bacteria culture. I have AF pro bio S, bio S, and NP pro but all of them’s expiration date is February 2023. I smelled but none of them smell bad they smell what they should smell like. I kept them in the fridge since I bought them. My question is do they realle expire in case we store them under proper conditions? Do I need to buy a new one?
I think they're fine right now. I'm no professional microbiologist but a lot of expiration dates are more for the shops selling them from my understanding. I think you'll get the same benefit as you would have several months ago. I believe many bacterial additives use the endospores which are very tough and difficult to kill so I doubt they simply got too old to be viable. (I'm unsure what the downside could be regardless.) I'm sure there are people a lot wiser than myself on the forum however, and I'll check in as they comment.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back