Explosion of worms

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I’m not sure if these are good or a bad worms. Thin, white-ish worms that are no longer than an inch or two. Just noticed them while looking at my tank with the lights off. I’ve actually seen them before, they like hide on/under frags.

previously I thought they were a really small bristle worm. But now I am seeing they aren’t, at least I don’t think so since I don’t see bristles on any of them.

there are literally thousands. All on the rocks, mostly around my Zoas.

hard to see cause video is dark but if you look closely you will see them moving.

Attachments

• IMG_2679.MOV
    89 MB
OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video is too blurry and dark for me to locate any movement. Do the worms immediately retract when the lights come on?
Not sure I didn’t want to turn the lights on was afraid to spook them off before I snapped a video

here’s a screenshot. It is a bit hard to see still but maybe the pic will be better.

I marked where there’s a group of them. At least 3 are pretty visible, the thin white lines are the worms I am referring to. Not the spirobids

2DC21B7E-D5B5-44D6-B16C-F5BF86214A74.jpeg

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s clear they don’t like the light, but I was able to get a better video.
Most of them shot right into crevices when I flashed my camera at them. But I got some good clips of them.

lmk what you guys think 660DEB5D-7BBA-4795-A74D-13677864E69B.jpeg 12D598A8-07E3-4463-B954-1CBAC10DBF3D.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2707.MOV
    26.1 MB
  • IMG_2706.MOV
    34.5 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, the photos are not very helpful.
Are you sure they aren't amphipods or isopods?
Have you seen the 2 videos under the flashlight?

I feel you can clearly see them there.

100% not a pod or isopod as these usually have legs/antennas

these are just worms, look like small white bloodworms. cant even tell if they are segmented cause they are very tiny, but they don't appear to be.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I can make out two worms in the video with light-colored heads. My guess would be this one type of pest worm I forget the name of (I think it was Phyllodocida).

Phyllodocida:
1657819208970.png

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I can make out two worms in the video with light-colored heads. My guess would be this one type of pest worm I forget the name of (I think it was Phyllodocida).

Phyllodocida:
1657819208970.png
could be, I didnt notice a white head on them but I will look closer to double check.

I'll also do some research on these Phyllodocida . As in pest I assume you mean they aren't a "reef safe" CUC worm. Not something I am thrilled about

Stupidkitty84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are spaghetti worms. I used to have them, along with pyramellid snails, bristleworms, and copepods (good guys) until I got a fat hungry melanarus wrasse who wiped out the population. I don't think you have anything to worry about. They are a "clean-up crew" aka detritus scavenger.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I never got a clear answer on what these were.

I was able to get a better video with good light in my nano tank today. Same worms on a frag that came from the big tank.

in case youre having trouble finding the worm in the video, look at the screenshot for reference.

Thoughts?

CA492D9B-1957-4644-9C0E-40BB3D4ACF9D.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    83.5 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are spaghetti worms. I used to have them, along with pyramellid snails, bristleworms, and copepods (good guys) until I got a fat hungry melanarus wrasse who wiped out the population. I don't think you have anything to worry about. They are a "clean-up crew" aka detritus scavenger.
These were the closest I guess.

Maybe a spaghetti worms leg? Cause it definitely doesn't look like any of the spaghetti worms i see on google. pretty sure ive seen some red spaghetti worms in my sandbed, which these are obv different.

In this screenshot, the worms in my tank might look like a leg or tentacle or w.e.

Attachments

• 9D0AAB09-5735-4C42-AFB5-C139FEF7DA5C.png
    9D0AAB09-5735-4C42-AFB5-C139FEF7DA5C.png
    534.5 KB · Views: 19

Stupidkitty84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue why I wrote that reply because it is none of the previously mentioned... And I JUST discovered the same white/clear worm in my own tank! I've had my tank's rocks/sand since 2007, too; just moved to 3 different tanks.

Those things are lightning fast, can't catch them if I tried. I can catch 100's of bristleworms but not these worms. I actually found a post of what this white round-headed, clear segmented-body worm on the internet when I discovered them a month or so ago but can't find it now. The person that posted had a closeup, clear shot of it, too. But, if you find that post it says what it is. I'll keep trying to hunt it down and post back if I find it before you and I may post a photo of my worm here if I can. Apparently, they hate or are scared of light so taking a photo is hard.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue why I wrote that reply because it is none of the previously mentioned... And I JUST discovered the same white/clear worm in my own tank! I've had my tank's rocks/sand since 2007, too; just moved to 3 different tanks.

Those things are lightning fast, can't catch them if I tried. I can catch 100's of bristleworms but not these worms. I actually found a post of what this white round-headed, clear segmented-body worm on the internet when I discovered them a month or so ago but can't find it now. The person that posted had a closeup, clear shot of it, too. But, if you find that post it says what it is. I'll keep trying to hunt it down and post back if I find it before you and I may post a photo of my worm here if I can. Apparently, they hate or are scared of light so taking a photo is hard.
Sounds exactly like the worms in my tank. Super fast not even worth trying to catch them cause there’s hundreds if not thousands of them.
While i dont think they're hurting anything. It bothers me not knowing what they are.

Edit- also ive had some of my rock since before 2010 also.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back