Exposing the truth: How to take unreal pics with your DSLR!!! -or- You are EXPOSED!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Latinreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just curious, if they would use a go pro under water in the tank from where they are trying to sell from would this show true color or can this be manipulated as well not sure I don't own a go pro, just asking

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_2016-02-01-22-32-04-1.png

All black background, must be shopped right?

No. You can tell your picture is a true picture due to the blur and out of focus shot.

But I am curious on how you were able to put your frags on marshmallows.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. You can tell your picture is a true picture due to the blur and out of focus shot.

But I am curious on how you were able to put your frags on marshmallows.

Out of focus or not, a picture with a true black background of a coral isn't a sure sign of photoshop like someone seems so adamant about.

As for the marshmallows, ancient Chinese secret.....

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that we can solve this problem easy if you feel that the pic is photo shopped then ask for a better pic if one is not provided then don't buy from that vendor.
When it come to the no price posting Imo I really don't have a problem with pm for price but I understand where you guys are coming from.
I think you guys should ask the mods why we have to post price when we are selling an item but vendors don't have to.
My .02$

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if they would let us call them out they would loose business and they wouldn't sponsor R2R, I only think R2R doesn't want to loose any sponsors, but reality is its really only 2 or 3 that really over exaggerate coral color. This is just my .02
Thats what the vendor feedback sub-forum is for. Believe when i say if i get sold a photoshopped coral. I would start quite a few threads ON the vendor that sold it to me.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what the vendor feedback sub-forum is for. Believe when i say if i get sold a photoshopped coral. I would start quite a few threads ON the vendor that sold it to me.

That's the way it should be. But instead ppl want to start flame threads about said coral before they even buy it or know someone who bought it. If you don't like what you see move on, nobody hired anyone to be the photo police online.

RAD01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me if I bought it and it that doesn't like the photo I would say something but must people don't say anything

KingTriton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love for someone to PM me some vendors that you feel or know photoshop their corals. When I say photoshop I mean completely masking/altering the true identity of the corals colors. Great thread Adam!

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man a certain coral floating around with these techniques right now.

A dead give away for me is the pitch black back ground in pictures.

That technique really doesn't affect the coral representation. It is the product of enhancing blacks in an image. Some may dabble with shadows as well. That is why you see an extra dark background in most cases.

On the other hand, if the light isn't shining on the background, it will appear darker. This is much true with LED lights due to it being a point source light.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the thread Adam, I ran across it a few months back but just today thought Id give it a shot-This will save me lots of post processing!!!

these are all after doing what you said and I didn't have to post edit at all and these are true to life-SO COOL-THANKS!!!

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump....

This thread isn't a "how to" it's a warning.

The odd colored backgrounds are a dead giveaway. Blue doesn't mean it's altered but the turquoise, gray backgrounds are a dead giveaway for an altered photo.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great. I assumed that most venders do not photoshop yet the pics always look better then the actual corals.....well heres why....thank you

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back