Exposing the truth: How to take unreal pics with your DSLR!!! -or- You are EXPOSED!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefnjunkie
What is the name of the blue sps? Very nice!
TEST%201_zpsg2hmwupv.jpg

Looks to be a Nice ice fire acropora echinata

Yes Tyree Ice Fire Echinata

FWIW-I have actually just recently picked up a set of color cards, (White, Grey, Black) Im finding the Grey is slightly closer to what I see, both Grey and Adams technique have helped tremendously

Same Ice fire with Grey card
Ice Fire 3-26-16.JPG

@ritter6788
I must have misunderstood if you're correct, I saw it as a how to LOL and learned from it

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a decent DSLR Camera, as a lot of reef vendors and enthusiast do, you probably have a lot of questions as to how in the world some of these people get pics to look the way they do, as you think to yourself, does that coral really look like that? Well, that’s a great question with a myriad of good answers. Now, I am by no means an authority on photography, but I have managed to learn just enough over the years about how to shoot coral to have a decent understanding of how different lighting can affect the coral and the shot entirely. It's not an easy thing to master, and in saying that, by no means do I entertain any sort of accolade about my own skill, as I am still learning just as much as anyone else, but I’d like to try and share a few easy tips with you on how to achieve that near majestic exposure we are seeing more and more of.

Every DSLR has an internal setting for a custom white balance. Think of it like auto spell but for white balance. Once you've set your preset, it just crunches away in the background, correcting the white balance the best it knows how. The problem, much like with auto spell (at least for me, because I am a terrible typer) is that, sometimes it doesn’t know the word at all, and will piece together whatever it can to make something sensible out of the garble that I punch in.

Such is the way your custom WB function works. Especially in a hyper blue type setting, and I am really simplifying the mechanics of this process, but it’s working so hard to correct that extreme light, that it essentially “plugs in” whatever it can to make sense of the data, often resulting in something much farther away then the intended outcome. In coral photography, that result can be very pleasing. However in most cases, a bit too pleasing...

So, today I have decided to do a step by step tutorial on exactly how some of these otherworldly pics are actually taken. Now I realize that this isn’t really all that constructive. If anything a little low brow and maybe even a bit smarmy on my part. More of deliberate jab at some of the guys taking these kinds of pics and fooling you time and again with them. After this brief but detailed tutorial, you too will be able to take those kinds of pictures; the glowing yellows and reds, and the silky electric oranges that we all drool over time and again. At the very least, if you take anything away from this, you'll understand how easy it is to turn a good looking coral into a jaw dropping coral, without even coming near a saturation slider. Now I'm not singling anyone out here either I promise. This is not written for or at any specific vendor or commercial hobbyist, but if this write up makes you feel a little introspective at all, then I'm talking to you for sure.

For the sake of the lesson, I am going to just go ahead list the steps numerically with appropriate images in place. These functions are specific to Cannon, but I’d guess the Nikon settings are similar enough to wing it.

1. Turn off every color on your led fixture but the royal blue. Intensity isn’t super important but you’ll want enough light to get a good shot. At least 45-50 at least. A porthole type viewer for the camera will help tremendously but is not required.

2. In Auto WB mode go ahead and take a pic under that lighting.

3. Next go to menu and select the WB option. Figure 1
IMG_3290_zpsb6nvydev.jpg

4. Select custom. Figure 2
IMG_3287_zpsk2tgpizb.jpg

5. Then select custom white balance just below that. Figure 3
IMG_3290_zpsox72fv3w.jpg

6. It may warn you that somethings not quite right, but select the ultra blue pic that you just took and go ahead and hit ok. Figure 4. You have now created a WB preset for that spectrum. Go back to camera mode.

IMG_3288_zpszweh1vvc.jpg

7. Now peek through the lens again, as the blue is stripped away and you are greeted by a collection of coral that you have never seen before.

8. Enjoy a brief moment of “ahh so thats how those…… do it”

9. Now go ahead focus and take a pic. That's it, you are done.

Below are some examples of pics taken under neutral colored lights with the camera back in the auto WB mode, and then using the method outlined above. To reiterate, these are two separate pics entirely. One was taken in normal light, and the other was taken using our new custom WB setting that we just learned under Royal Blue LED only. These are 100% unedited jpegs, processed by the camera only. I dumped them into Photos on a Mac, then uploaded to photo bucket. No post processing done at all in any way. Zero.

This
IMG_3639_zpsnnirxxsy.jpg

Becomes this
IMG_3640_zpssaw7ascj.jpg

And this
IMG_3633_zpswjlnifl0.jpg

Becomes this. Delicious isn't it?
IMG_3634_zpsrf5hx0cf.jpg

This one is sick but watch.
This
IMG_3637_zpsssqwudko.jpg

Becomes this! Same acro I swear.
IMG_3636_zps3xgawjeo.jpg

And just a couple more

This guy, wait for it
IMG_3650_zpsmgddflwi.jpg

Turns into this! It's that easy! And I can even boast without lying that it's just an unprocessed pic, with no editing at all! For good measure. So what If I may have to explain that, well, it really only looks like this under so and such lighting, and at the right angle etc. You know you want a frag of this one. Resist!!!!!!
IMG_3651_zpsayc88vpa.jpg

And finally, perhaps the grossest of them all. I'll admit that I was even tempted to pass this one off because of how insane it looked. For just one fleeting second or two, I had the feeling that now I have one of those. THIS THING IS ONE OF THOSE!! But alas, while it's a gem with loads of potential, It's a far cry from the multicolor wonder that my cannon created.

Lets go backwards,
Became this!!!

IMG_3646_zpsgy3shaik.jpg

Actually is this.
IMG_3648_zpszk01pqls.jpg

So my good friends if you stuck it out for the whole spiel thank you. I know there was an underlined flavor of just plain "mean" to this whole thing, but remember, the next time you see a pic that just looks so friggen good, that you can’t even believe it, don’t. Because the coral does not look like that.

You rule Adam!

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a decent DSLR Camera, as a lot of reef vendors and enthusiast do, you probably have a lot of questions as to how in the world some of these people get pics to look the way they do, as you think to yourself, does that coral really look like that? Well, that’s a great question with a myriad of good answers. Now, I am by no means an authority on photography, but I have managed to learn just enough over the years about how to shoot coral to have a decent understanding of how different lighting can affect the coral and the shot entirely. It's not an easy thing to master, and in saying that, by no means do I entertain any sort of accolade about my own skill, as I am still learning just as much as anyone else, but I’d like to try and share a few easy tips with you on how to achieve that near majestic exposure we are seeing more and more of.

Every DSLR has an internal setting for a custom white balance. Think of it like auto spell but for white balance. Once you've set your preset, it just crunches away in the background, correcting the white balance the best it knows how. The problem, much like with auto spell (at least for me, because I am a terrible typer) is that, sometimes it doesn’t know the word at all, and will piece together whatever it can to make something sensible out of the garble that I punch in.

Such is the way your custom WB function works. Especially in a hyper blue type setting, and I am really simplifying the mechanics of this process, but it’s working so hard to correct that extreme light, that it essentially “plugs in” whatever it can to make sense of the data, often resulting in something much farther away then the intended outcome. In coral photography, that result can be very pleasing. However in most cases, a bit too pleasing...

So, today I have decided to do a step by step tutorial on exactly how some of these otherworldly pics are actually taken. Now I realize that this isn’t really all that constructive. If anything a little low brow and maybe even a bit smarmy on my part. More of deliberate jab at some of the guys taking these kinds of pics and fooling you time and again with them. After this brief but detailed tutorial, you too will be able to take those kinds of pictures; the glowing yellows and reds, and the silky electric oranges that we all drool over time and again. At the very least, if you take anything away from this, you'll understand how easy it is to turn a good looking coral into a jaw dropping coral, without even coming near a saturation slider. Now I'm not singling anyone out here either I promise. This is not written for or at any specific vendor or commercial hobbyist, but if this write up makes you feel a little introspective at all, then I'm talking to you for sure.

For the sake of the lesson, I am going to just go ahead list the steps numerically with appropriate images in place. These functions are specific to Cannon, but I’d guess the Nikon settings are similar enough to wing it.

1. Turn off every color on your led fixture but the royal blue. Intensity isn’t super important but you’ll want enough light to get a good shot. At least 45-50 at least. A porthole type viewer for the camera will help tremendously but is not required.

2. In Auto WB mode go ahead and take a pic under that lighting.

3. Next go to menu and select the WB option. Figure 1
IMG_3290_zpsb6nvydev.jpg

4. Select custom. Figure 2
IMG_3287_zpsk2tgpizb.jpg

5. Then select custom white balance just below that. Figure 3
IMG_3290_zpsox72fv3w.jpg

6. It may warn you that somethings not quite right, but select the ultra blue pic that you just took and go ahead and hit ok. Figure 4. You have now created a WB preset for that spectrum. Go back to camera mode.

IMG_3288_zpszweh1vvc.jpg

7. Now peek through the lens again, as the blue is stripped away and you are greeted by a collection of coral that you have never seen before.

8. Enjoy a brief moment of “ahh so thats how those…… do it”

9. Now go ahead focus and take a pic. That's it, you are done.

Below are some examples of pics taken under neutral colored lights with the camera back in the auto WB mode, and then using the method outlined above. To reiterate, these are two separate pics entirely. One was taken in normal light, and the other was taken using our new custom WB setting that we just learned under Royal Blue LED only. These are 100% unedited jpegs, processed by the camera only. I dumped them into Photos on a Mac, then uploaded to photo bucket. No post processing done at all in any way. Zero.

This
IMG_3639_zpsnnirxxsy.jpg

Becomes this
IMG_3640_zpssaw7ascj.jpg

And this
IMG_3633_zpswjlnifl0.jpg

Becomes this. Delicious isn't it?
IMG_3634_zpsrf5hx0cf.jpg

This one is sick but watch.
This
IMG_3637_zpsssqwudko.jpg

Becomes this! Same acro I swear.
IMG_3636_zps3xgawjeo.jpg

And just a couple more

This guy, wait for it
IMG_3650_zpsmgddflwi.jpg

Turns into this! It's that easy! And I can even boast without lying that it's just an unprocessed pic, with no editing at all! For good measure. So what If I may have to explain that, well, it really only looks like this under so and such lighting, and at the right angle etc. You know you want a frag of this one. Resist!!!!!!
IMG_3651_zpsayc88vpa.jpg

And finally, perhaps the grossest of them all. I'll admit that I was even tempted to pass this one off because of how insane it looked. For just one fleeting second or two, I had the feeling that now I have one of those. THIS THING IS ONE OF THOSE!! But alas, while it's a gem with loads of potential, It's a far cry from the multicolor wonder that my cannon created.

Lets go backwards,
Became this!!!

IMG_3646_zpsgy3shaik.jpg

Actually is this.
IMG_3648_zpszk01pqls.jpg

So my good friends if you stuck it out for the whole spiel thank you. I know there was an underlined flavor of just plain "mean" to this whole thing, but remember, the next time you see a pic that just looks so friggen good, that you can’t even believe it, don’t. Because the coral does not look like that.
Are these the true colors of these corals? Or is it changed due to the adjustments

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I'm a dork, I see know-wonder what I did wrong that actually helped me take pictures with less post processing???

Fortunately Ive been around the reef enough I don't get scammed (anymore) by the FB and certain vendors photos.....

Sorry for my posts taking this thread in another direction :oops:

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OK I'm a dork, I see know-wonder what I did wrong that actually helped me take pictures with less post processing???

Fortunately Ive been around the reef enough I don't get scammed (anymore) by the FB and certain vendors photos.....

Sorry for my posts taking this thread in another direction :oops:

LOL not at all man, that truth is that the method I outlined can actually work very well if your intentions aren't to misrepresent. I think your pics looks great man, and the corals well... they would look good in the dark. Insane as always! Are you shooting in RAW then or no?

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if these are the true colors thats all they look great but I want to know how to take true pics with true colors

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if these are the true colors thats all they look great but I want to know how to take true pics with true colors

They are not the true colors and that's the point of this thread. This wasn't written as a how to. It was written to show how some vendors manipulate camera settings so make corals look nicer than they really are.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand now how it is written to show that some vendors manipulate the colors, but my post and Adams comment shows that you simply use either the blue as your white balance or my case presently the grey card the pictures come out true to life.

That's my experience anyway, funny tho, I literally skimmed the thread taking key poiints, shoot in all blue, asjust WB to all blue and BAM all done.
My pictures show what happens when thats "all" you do.

I hope all who jack up pictures experience a catastrophic crash of there systems and loose everything.

Next time I won't hold back and I'll type how I really feel- Happy Easter!!

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope all who jack up pictures experience a catastrophic crash of there systems and loose everything.

Next time I won't hold back and I'll type how I really feel- Happy Easter!!

But how do you really feel! :eek:

Lol

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everything else in this hobby, this doesn't work on all corals. Just the same as some glow and some don't under this or that light. I took some pics using this method and some look true to life, some look totally different and some wouldn't even show up well in the pics. I've been meaning to upload them here maybe I'll get it done tomorrow.

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not the true colors and that's the point of this thread. This wasn't written as a how to. It was written to show how some vendors manipulate camera settings so make corals look nicer than they really are.
Aw ok yeah now i get it, was a bit confused for a min, yeah I agree completly.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one I took using the method Adam explained in this thread.

This is a Jason Fox slowburn monti. This pic is how it looks to me in person.
IMG_9633 by ritter6788, on Flickr

This is with the altered white balance. Wouldn't be to hard for me to give this a name, post a pic and make a few bucks off of it. When it shows up at your door and it doesn't look like this pic I'll just tell you it lost color in shipping or it's your lighting/parameters. The appleberry monti in the pic wasn't changed much by the white balance. It's also a common/known coral I could use as a reference color to say I didn't photoshop the pic, which really I didn't photoshop it. :)
IMG_9608 by ritter6788, on Flickr

Here's one of my Acros I photographed using the white balance trick again. It's really a nice Acro I named blue pearl but looks nothing like this in person. Not a bit of yellow if you saw it in my tank. It's actually baby blue with light purple tips.
IMG_9617 by ritter6788, on Flickr

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one I took using the method Adam explained in this thread.

This is a Jason Fox slowburn monti. This pic is how it looks to me in person.
IMG_9633 by ritter6788, on Flickr

This is with the altered white balance. Wouldn't be to hard for me to give this a name, post a pic and make a few bucks off of it. When it shows up at your door and it doesn't look like this pic I'll just tell you it lost color in shipping or it's your lighting/parameters. The appleberry monti in the pic wasn't changed much by the white balance. It's also a common/known coral I could use as a reference color to say I didn't photoshop the pic, which really I didn't photoshop it. :)
IMG_9608 by ritter6788, on Flickr

Here's one of my Acros I photographed using the white balance trick again. It's really a nice Acro I named blue pearl but looks nothing like this in person. Not a bit of yellow if you saw it in my tank. It's actually baby blue with light purple tips.
IMG_9617 by ritter6788, on Flickr

Here's what I don't understand.. It's a pretty coral in reality. Why all the fraud? I guess it's difficult when the other guys are doing it.. But reputation gets you far. Like for example Adam represents what he's selling.. That makes me the customer happy. (Wouldn't be if I was hearing about it getting stressed out in shipping, parameters etc.) now I'll share my experience and guaranteed 3-4 people will order from him. And the. If those 3-4 are happy and so on... Plus every local area has people in it with tanks that are successful. Just for the sake of argument I'll use Diesel as that guy for his local club. Now he orders from so and so.. They tell him it's because of his lighting/parameters.. Then diesel who has the proof he knows what he's doing posts his displeasure. What does that company gain??

I guess my point is that nature is pretty enough without the need to enhance it. Edit your photos to make them look professional but make them represent the coral that's being sold. And I guess the best way for us as hobbyists to stop the nonsense is to stop paying inflated prices for coral that doesn't really exist. Go with vendors you know already know you can trust.

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking this was the other thread ;) but you get my point. I think that slo burn is beautiful in both photos.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is about the only type of photography I see anymore. Facebook is loaded with it, hobbyist and vendors alike. I thought the goal was to have the photo represent the coral. I could not imagine or want to deal with the complaints the seller received from buys once the buys have placed the coral in their tank. Adams first pictures are a great example of what to look for.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I don't understand.. It's a pretty coral in reality. Why all the fraud? I guess it's difficult when the other guys are doing it.. But reputation gets you far.

It's the difference in a $30-$50 frag or a $250+frag. People want the new, unusual or rare. You can use this on common corals and make it appear to be something no one else has or can get.

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A frustrating side effect of all of this is that there really are unique strains of coral that are worth some extra attention, but no way for hobbyists to recognize the real gems in the online environment with so many make-believe corals.

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, we have to look at ourselves as the problem. Not that it's our fault that we get swindled by coral pics that look insane. But, we're the ones sending $ to these people. We have the power.

Support the good people in the industry who are honest and actually care about hobbyists. They were us before they got in the retail business. When we get a great frag thats just like the pic and comes in clean with no pests, we need to say something on these forums that supports that company/person.

If one of you guys recommend someone to me I definitely pay attention. I know much effort everyone puts into their tanks here. I know we have a vendor experience section but it's just not used enough. I'm all for boycotting companies that alter photos.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 39.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back