Exquisite Wrasse swimming at top of tank

anthonys8107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! This is my first post on the forum so please let me know if I’m doing something incorrectly.
I bought this Exquisite Wrasse 4 weeks ago and he displayed no abnormal behavior until around a week and a half ago. He started to swim around at the top of the tank and now he rarely goes down into the caves or by the other fish (besides feed time and lights out). He is also very bold, coming up to me whenever I approach the tank or look down into it. He even comes right up to my finger whenever I put it in there(I put my finger in the tank to show the fish it’s feeding time, it is washed beforehand).
Is he not getting enough oxygen so he feels the need to bob at the top if the tank? Or is he just being his curious self?
Thanks!
(Attached pics and a video of behavior, used UV blocking glasses to see tank better.)

IMG_0580.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0581.mov
    40.2 MB

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! This is my first post on the forum so please let me know if I’m doing something incorrectly.
I bought this Exquisite Wrasse 4 weeks ago and he displayed no abnormal behavior until around a week and a half ago. He started to swim around at the top of the tank and now he rarely goes down into the caves or by the other fish (besides feed time and lights out). He is also very bold, coming up to me whenever I approach the tank or look down into it. He even comes right up to my finger whenever I put it in there(I put my finger in the tank to show the fish it’s feeding time, it is washed beforehand).
Is he not getting enough oxygen so he feels the need to bob at the top if the tank? Or is he just being his curious self?
Thanks!
(Attached pics and a video of behavior, used UV blocking glasses to see tank better.)

IMG_0580.jpeg
Fairy wrasse are top of the tank fish so its not super unusual but I agree there is something slightly odd about that. It could be nothing, or a slight swim bladder issue, or the first sign of UNWD. @Jay Hemdal ?

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he eating normally? What other fish do you have? Any aggression from the other fish?

I probably wouldn’t worry too much at all as long as he’s eating and not being bullied. I have an exquisite and they are definitely an “out in the water column” fish. Mine swims all over the tank, but spends about 80% of the time in the top half of the water column and sometimes just floats at the top hanging out with a pitho crab he befriended.

I’m in front of my tank right now and snapped a photo of some of the fairies just cruising around.

IMG_4294.jpeg

OP
OP
A

anthonys8107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasse are top of the tank fish so its not super unusual but I agree there is something slightly odd about that. It could be nothing, or a slight swim bladder issue, or the first sign of UNWD. @Jay Hemdal ?
I figured as much, just curious about it. However, I have had a social wrasse with the UNWD and it’s not joke. He went missing for a couple of days and then came back and exclusively swam upside down. It was really saddening to see. But I don’t think the Exquisite has any problems neurologically since he swims well, eats, and doesn’t run away from people or other fish.Though, I could always be wrong and have no idea what i’m talking about.
If it is a bladder issue or any other fish has a problem with that, is there any treatment? Or even prevention?

OP
OP
A

anthonys8107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he eating normally? What other fish do you have? Any aggression from the other fish?

I probably wouldn’t worry too much at all as long as he’s eating and not being bullied. I have an exquisite and they are definitely an “out in the water column” fish. Mine swims all over the tank, but spends about 80% of the time in the top half of the water column and sometimes just floats at the top hanging out with a pitho crab he befriended.

I’m in front of my tank right now and snapped a photo of some of the fairies just cruising around.

IMG_4294.jpeg
Yes, he eats aggressively whenever I put in food. However, he does not usually go for the sea algae I put in on the clip. All my fish are fairly friendly and I have seen no signs of aggression against the wrasse or any other fish for a while(clowns were nipping at my kole tang for a week because he was freaking them out by swimming up and down in the corner).
For the fish currently in my tank:
Vlamgini Tang
Foxface Rabbitfish
Melanurus wrasse
Exquisite Wrasse
Bonded ocellaris clowns
Kole Tang
Sailfin Tang
Lawnmower Blenny
Diamond Goby
Coral Beauty Angel
The thing that would concern me about the Exquisite is that he is so close to the top and even puts the top of his head out of the water. Although, he doesn’t always do that and sticks to the top of the water like the ones in your picture.
But if they like to stick to the top, thats just how they are and there shouldn’t be a concern.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, he eats aggressively whenever I put in food. However, he does not usually go for the sea algae I put in on the clip. All my fish are fairly friendly and I have seen no signs of aggression against the wrasse or any other fish for a while(clowns were nipping at my kole tang for a week because he was freaking them out by swimming up and down in the corner).
For the fish currently in my tank:
Vlamgini Tang
Foxface Rabbitfish
Melanurus wrasse
Exquisite Wrasse
Bonded ocellaris clowns
Kole Tang
Sailfin Tang
Lawnmower Blenny
Diamond Goby
Coral Beauty Angel
The thing that would concern me about the Exquisite is that he is so close to the top and even puts the top of his head out of the water. Although, he doesn’t always do that and sticks to the top of the water like the ones in your picture.
But if they like to stick to the top, thats just how they are and there shouldn’t be a concern.

Interesting. I probably wouldn’t be too worried for now, but just keep an eye on him and keep him well fed. You have some fish that can have pretty big and “boisterous” personalities and he may just still being cautious, but if he’s stating “pinned” in the same spot and not really moving whatsoever, you probably need to keep a close eye on aggression.

On another note, even if you don’t have an oxygenation/surface agitation issue, you can never really go wrong with having more!

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that it’s weird especially given the history that he doesn’t normally do this.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

This doesn't look like UNWD to me - the fish is swimming level, just high in the tank.

It may just be behavioral - I watched the video for signs of positive buoyancy, but didn't see that.

That it is reactive and eating well makes me think this is not a serious issue; at least, I don't see any treatable issues right now.

I would just watch it closely for now and update us with any changes.

Jay

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back