OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly moving along. Yesterday I filled the system with rodi. Temp is comming up slowly as the water was 57°F. Ato is set.
Actual water level is 19" as I expected so 135g's in the display.
The 6255's are strong for sure. Set at the lowest setting they really move some water. Surface water movement is on the lowest setting.

The Reef Breeders are set at
Red 60%
White 70%
Other 4 100%
Im getting 350-400 par on the bottom. I will adjust down to 300 par once I get the salt added.
Im using a parwise meter and take the par reading × 1.26.
This is close enough for me until I get a quantum meter down the road.
300 on the bottom and 400 1/2 way up is my target to start.

EXT overflow is easy to adjust and quiet.

The system wont see TBS live rock until late may/june. Looking at around 120lbs.

I should have the Ext 50 frag system up by then.
20240312_093522.jpg

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Hanna ph,sg,temp monitor. So far its very accurate.
Same temp as my aqualogic controller. Same sg as my TM hydrometer. Same ph as my hand held milwaukee.
I have the temp controller set at 77. It will drop to 76 then come on and go off at 77.
I did upgrade from the eheim 150 watt heater. It would not go higher than 76.
I am now running a brs 300 watt titainium. Very stable temp with the controller. I went with the brs as it has a 3 year warranty.
Going to order the ext 50 for a frag system in a week or two.
I wanted a larger system but the 50 fit the corner of the room so I will stay with it.
20240314_142400.jpg

Last edited:

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a fantastic read, good to see what people with experience actually do with my system. I have the same tank, stand, sump and coincidentially Tinze skimmer and ATO. But went another way with rock (all live with creepy crawlies), exotech everything light and powerheads, and everything plugged into hydros controllers.
I was gonna have a refugium and dose all for reef (spare gulf rocks, a gorilla crab and a mantis live in the fuge for now). But I love the massive calc reactor you have sitting in there instead - I don’t know what I am doing when it comes to alk and ca, but I’ll have to read up on that.
Like you I am also planning a frag tank right next to the 170 but I was thinking of tying it into my rfs50 sump. Have you considered that at all?
Best of luck to you and keep the updates coming, I need to steal more of your ideas.

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a fantastic read, good to see what people with experience actually do with my system. I have the same tank, stand, sump and coincidentially Tinze skimmer and ATO. But went another way with rock (all live with creepy crawlies), exotech everything light and powerheads, and everything plugged into hydros controllers.
I was gonna have a refugium and dose all for reef (spare gulf rocks, a gorilla crab and a mantis live in the fuge for now). But I love the massive calc reactor you have sitting in there instead - I don’t know what I am doing when it comes to alk and ca, but I’ll have to read up on that.
Like you I am also planning a frag tank right next to the 170 but I was thinking of tying it into my rfs50 sump. Have you considered that at all?
Best of luck to you and keep the updates coming, I need to steal more of your ideas.
I am going with 100-120lbs of live base rock from TBS. That dead rock is just for reference. I stripped it down when I took the 120 down. It was a real live rock at one time.
Im not a fan of controllers. I dont even use one on my carx.
I prefer a separate frag system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other old builds.
My old frag tank.
20230123_094709.jpg

Thread '18" AIO Nano Cube Stag System' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/18-aio-nano-cube-stag-system.883090/
Thread 'Standard 120 build thread' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/standard-120-build-thread.641602/

Last edited:
OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Tunze skimmer are you running? The 9430dc does best in 5" of water if its the one your running.

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love seeing this tank w/o Ecotech products. I have the same tank - I absolutely love it. Looking forward to watching your progress.

I happen to run a lot of Tunze, I used TBS Rock / sand - overall a lot of similarities. I did document the terrible return plumbing included with the EXT170. It's worth checking out if you have concerns with return pump efficiency.

Edit: I see you're using Sea Sweeps....I SO wanted to do that. Can't wait to see this running.

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love seeing this tank w/o Ecotech products. I have the same tank - I absolutely love it. Looking forward to watching your progress.

I happen to run a lot of Tunze, I used TBS Rock / sand - overall a lot of similarities. I did document the terrible return plumbing included with the EXT170. It's worth checking out if you have concerns with return pump efficiency.

Edit: I see you're using Sea Sweeps....I SO wanted to do that. Can't wait to see this running.
Im running a Tunze 1073.060 return pump. Im not a fan of dc return pumps.
The plumbing is decent, imo.
I have no issues with it.

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used 9430 off a friend and also have a brand new 9410 dc doc. Both would probably work. I may install the smaller 9410 in the hope to have a bit of space left to cram a roller mat into that first compartment somehow. That’s my one regret with that sump. That and that it’s so big that I built a side cabinet to hide all the electronics and controller gear.
So far I kinda like the controller. Automated what I could.

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running a Tunze 1073.060 return pump. Im not a fan of dc return pumps.
The plumbing is decent, imo.
I have no issues with it.
The bulkheads are metric on the inside and with the adapters for the included locline, the resulting diameter is around 10mm. That will choke down your return pump - but since you're using sea sweeps...... shouldn't be in play no?

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gonna have to check out your plumbing write up. So far so good. Already following you I think. Also lots of similarities :)

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bulkheads are metric on the inside and with the adapters for the included locline, the resulting diameter is around 10mm. That will choke down your return pump - but since you're using sea sweeps...... shouldn't be in play no?
Yea its not a problem for me as I only run 2-3× return flow through the sump. I have done this for years. The slower flow through the sump gives me better contact time through the skimmer and equals better performance.
I only used 3 lock lines and the flow is fine for me.
The sweeps will give me all the flow I need as the tank grows in I can turn the 6255's up.

Last edited:

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea its not a problem for me as I only run 2-3× rerurn flow through the sump. I have done this for years. The slower flow through the sump gives me better contact time through the skimmer and equals better performance.
I only used 3 lock lines and the flow is fine for me.
The sweeps will give me all the flow I need as the tank grows in I can turn the 6255's up.
Fair enough - I was thinking Sea Swirl anyway. I was looking at your pics and realized I was confusing Sea Swirl with Sea Sweep. I haven't seen the sweep in 15 years (or a swirl for that matter)

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough - I was thinking Sea Swirl anyway. I was looking at your pics and realized I was confusing Sea Swirl with Sea Sweep. I haven't seen the sweep in 15 years (or a swirl for that matter)
Yea many people dont even know they exist. Imo, they are the best random flow options out their.
One sweep and one 6255 is only about $100 more than an mp60.

JM302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea many people dont even know they exist. Imo, they are the best random flow options out their.
One sweep and one 6255 is only about $100 more than an mp60.
Awesome setup for sure. They are old school devices. I agree they provide some of the best random flow out there.

Back in the day I had Sea Swirls and an Oceans Motions 8 Port paired with a giant external Iwaki pump on a closed loop.... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome setup for sure. They are old school devices. I agree they provide some of the best random flow out there.

Back in the day I had Sea Swirls and an Oceans Motions 8 Port paired with a giant external Iwaki pump on a closed loop.... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Yea old school reefer from the late 80's. Alot has changed but the same basics apply today.
If people took the time to learn they would find its really not that hard.

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea old school reefer from the late 80's. Alot has changed but the same basics apply today.
If people took the time to learn they would find its really not that hard.
I am old but new to this so worst of both worlds. Eager to learn though.

OP
OP
X-37B

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used 9430 off a friend and also have a brand new 9410 dc doc. Both would probably work. I may install the smaller 9410 in the hope to have a bit of space left to cram a roller mat into that first compartment somehow. That’s my one regret with that sump. That and that it’s so big that I built a side cabinet to hide all the electronics and controller gear.
So far I kinda like the controller. Automated what I could.
The 9410dc will be to small for this system. I started my old 120 with a 9410dc. No3 started to go up into the 20's. I got the 9430dc and no3 stayed around 2-3. I feed heavy and practice heavy in/out.
I was feeding 6-8 cubes a day with 13 fish.
I ran a filter roller for 1 month and then took it offline. Its still in the box in the garage. I prefer mesh socks to catch the big stuff. The sump gets debris and I clean it once a year. I just use a powerhead with a hose attatched and put in a felt sock and run the powerhead into the sock. Simple and will be easy in this sump with baffles.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back