Extended fishless cycle using Dr. Tim's, and ammonium chloride dosing.

feresadas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am waiting for my IM 15 to ship and arrive, and in the mean time have started cycling my aqua scape in a brute trash can. I was wondering if there was an agreed upon method for continuing to grow the bacteria culture until my tank arrives. intuition tells me that dosing to 2 ppm with increasing time spans between dosing should do the trick, but I want to be sure.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am waiting for my IM 15 to ship and arrive, and in the mean time have started cycling my aqua scape in a brute trash can. I was wondering if there was an agreed upon method for continuing to grow the bacteria culture until my tank arrives. intuition tells me that dosing to 2 ppm with increasing time spans between dosing should do the trick, but I want to be sure.
I am under the impression that nitrifying bacteria will not easily starve to death. Periodic feeding would be fine.

Do I understand you correctly, that you would rinse off the aquascape and add it to freshly made saltwater, thus starting an an aquarium with little or no ni NO3? I have been thinking about this approach as a way to avoid high a high nitrogen start up without doing wasteful water changes.

OP
OP
feresadas

feresadas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am under the impression that nitrifying bacteria will not easily starve to death. Periodic feeding would be fine.

Do I understand you correctly, that you would rinse off the aquascape and add it to freshly made saltwater, thus starting an an aquarium with little or no ni NO3? I have been thinking about this approach as a way to avoid high a high nitrogen start up without doing wasteful water changes.
Yes that is my plan,

Ok that's good to know! Yeah that's my plan, just dump out the water, essentially doing a 100% water change.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 42.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back