Extended fishless cycle using Dr. Tim's, and ammonium chloride dosing.

feresadas

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 28, 2022
Messages
71
Reaction score
49
Location
Upstate New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am waiting for my IM 15 to ship and arrive, and in the mean time have started cycling my aqua scape in a brute trash can. I was wondering if there was an agreed upon method for continuing to grow the bacteria culture until my tank arrives. intuition tells me that dosing to 2 ppm with increasing time spans between dosing should do the trick, but I want to be sure.
 
I am waiting for my IM 15 to ship and arrive, and in the mean time have started cycling my aqua scape in a brute trash can. I was wondering if there was an agreed upon method for continuing to grow the bacteria culture until my tank arrives. intuition tells me that dosing to 2 ppm with increasing time spans between dosing should do the trick, but I want to be sure.
I am under the impression that nitrifying bacteria will not easily starve to death. Periodic feeding would be fine.

Do I understand you correctly, that you would rinse off the aquascape and add it to freshly made saltwater, thus starting an an aquarium with little or no ni NO3? I have been thinking about this approach as a way to avoid high a high nitrogen start up without doing wasteful water changes.
 
I am under the impression that nitrifying bacteria will not easily starve to death. Periodic feeding would be fine.

Do I understand you correctly, that you would rinse off the aquascape and add it to freshly made saltwater, thus starting an an aquarium with little or no ni NO3? I have been thinking about this approach as a way to avoid high a high nitrogen start up without doing wasteful water changes.
Yes that is my plan,
I am under the impression that nitrifying bacteria will not easily starve to death. Periodic feeding would be fine.

Do I understand you correctly, that you would rinse off the aquascape and add it to freshly made saltwater, thus starting an an aquarium with little or no ni NO3? I have been thinking about this approach as a way to avoid high a high nitrogen start up without doing wasteful water changes.
Ok that's good to know! Yeah that's my plan, just dump out the water, essentially doing a 100% water change.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new