Exterior (and/or room) Temperature

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone hooked up a temperature probe to their external (air) temperature? My tank has a fairly high temp swing (1F over the course of a good day; 2+F on bad days) and I'm almost certain that it's related to the room temperature variance. We keep a fairly broad temp range in order to prevent the A/C from kicking on all the time, and often leave doors open so the kiddo's can run in and out. Good for Ph (I suppose); not so good when it's 90+F outside...

I was thinking that it would be interesting to see how the room (and/or even exterior) temperature correlates using the reporting tools and such. I'm not really sure that I'd actually toggle anything with the probe (water temp is more important a measure), but if there's an easy/cheap way to tack on a room temp probe, I'd likely go for it.

So, basically - is there a more cost-effective way to include room/air temp in the reports than adding a PM2/3 module and getting another temp probe (~$200)?

On a related idea; I know that there are data feeds that provide the current local temperature (a'la weather.com, etc.). I wonder if Neptune has considered integrating these (@Terence)? I can't imagine it's a high priority, but may be interesting...

ReeferRoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not, but I was considering connecting another temp probe into my APEX PAR Monitoring Kit for my DT. There is a temp probe port and an I/O port on the unit. I just ordered the additional temp probe, if someone reminds me by the weekend I can probably setup some type of data logging with some APEX programming assistance...I am really a Noob!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone hooked up a temperature probe to their external (air) temperature? My tank has a fairly high temp swing (1F over the course of a good day; 2+F on bad days) and I'm almost certain that it's related to the room temperature variance. We keep a fairly broad temp range in order to prevent the A/C from kicking on all the time, and often leave doors open so the kiddo's can run in and out. Good for Ph (I suppose); not so good when it's 90+F outside...

I was thinking that it would be interesting to see how the room (and/or even exterior) temperature correlates using the reporting tools and such. I'm not really sure that I'd actually toggle anything with the probe (water temp is more important a measure), but if there's an easy/cheap way to tack on a room temp probe, I'd likely go for it.

So, basically - is there a more cost-effective way to include room/air temp in the reports than adding a PM2/3 module and getting another temp probe (~$200)?

On a related idea; I know that there are data feeds that provide the current local temperature (a'la weather.com, etc.). I wonder if Neptune has considered integrating these (@Terence)? I can't imagine it's a high priority, but may be interesting...
Check this site out for a indoor station link. what you are looking for is a station with data, there like $40. I keep the house at 78 during the day and this keeps the tank at a steady temp. I also run a ceiling fan above the tank to cool the tank in the summer.

Great idea on the local outside temp feature for Apex, I know my nest has it. Here is a link to your current and past weather link

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this site out for a indoor station link...
Yeah; there are lots of things out there that track this data. What I was looking for was more about getting the data into the Apex reports screens so that it can be compared with other measures over time. I could likely export everything into Excel or the like and then re-create the graphs, but that seems more difficult than I would do on a regular basis...

A PM1 module and a temp probe is only $115
Why so it is! Closer to what I'd be willing to spend, at least...
TBH; I'm no really sure what my budget here would be. I suppose I'd like to see something that would make use of a 0-10V port so that a low-cost sensor could be used (something akin to this).

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah; there are lots of things out there that track this data. What I was looking for was more about getting the data into the Apex reports screens so that it can be compared with other measures over time. I could likely export everything into Excel or the like and then re-create the graphs, but that seems more difficult than I would do on a regular basis...

Why so it is! Closer to what I'd be willing to spend, at least...
TBH; I'm no really sure what my budget here would be. I suppose I'd like to see something that would make use of a 0-10V port so that a low-cost sensor could be used (something akin to this).
That is going to be a software write from Apex to be able use 3 party modules

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back