External Overflow Bulkhead Gaskets

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My new Planet Aquariums tank and included tideline external overflow box just showed up yesterday and I have a question about the bulkheads that connect the box to the aquarium. My current tank has a Synergy overflow box and that box uses a gasket on each side of the aquarium wall. (First picture.). The Tideline calls for only one gasket on the external surface of the aquarium. Does this make sense? Should I be worried about leaks? (Planet aquariums is hard to reach.)

Thanks!

Synergy overflow - 1.jpeg

Tideline overflow - 1.jpeg

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the manufacturer said to place the rubber seal on the dry side, then that is what I would do. I have learned my lesson from the past.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't leak outside of the aquarium. The only concern is water slowly dripping past the threads from the tank to the overflow box if the return pump is off for a long time, but it will likely seal itself eventually.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any sort of leaks are basically my worst nightmare, so I put gaskets on both sides and used silicone.
Probably overkill, but definitely no leak.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any sort of leaks are basically my worst nightmare, so I put gaskets on both sides and used silicone.
Probably overkill, but definitely no leak.
Where did you get the gaskets. I’m having issues with water leaking in the overflow box and overflowing sump when return pump is off.

Brisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new Planet Aquariums tank and included tideline external overflow box just showed up yesterday and I have a question about the bulkheads that connect the box to the aquarium. My current tank has a Synergy overflow box and that box uses a gasket on each side of the aquarium wall. (First picture.). The Tideline calls for only one gasket on the external surface of the aquarium. Does this make sense? Should I be worried about leaks? (Planet aquariums is hard to reach.)

Thanks!

Synergy overflow - 1.jpeg

Tideline overflow - 1.jpeg
Hi,

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I couldn't find any other info on this. I'm planning to get a custom tank from Planet Aquarium. I have a few questions regarding the Tideline overflow compare to the Synergy Shadow overflow.

1. Does the Tideline overflow has the same drilling cutout/template as the Synergy Shadow overflow for drilling holes? (Will the Synergy fit into holes drilled for Tideline?)

2. Which of the 2 do you prefer better?

Thank you!!

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I couldn't find any other info on this. I'm planning to get a custom tank from Planet Aquarium. I have a few questions regarding the Tideline overflow compare to the Synergy Shadow overflow.

1. Does the Tideline overflow has the same drilling cutout/template as the Synergy Shadow overflow for drilling holes? (Will the Synergy fit into holes drilled for Tideline?)

2. Which of the 2 do you prefer better?

Thank you!!

Hi,
This was a sore point for me with PA. While I’m happy with the aquarium and this is my 2nd one, I originally wanted holes cut for a Synergy overflow and they told me it was going to be an extra ~$400-500 as I recall to cut the holes. They are different than Tideline holes.

With that said, I have not had any issues with the Tideline box and it’s included in the price of the aquarium.

Good luck.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back