"Extra" Banggai cardinal

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not do enough research. I initially had 1 of those( in my show tank) and my wife liked it. So I got 2 more thinking they're peaceful. During quarantine the 2 new ones did not get along at all.
Thinking things would be OK when I put all 3 together in the bigger show tank but no! 2 paired up( did not know they would pair up until now) and the remaining 1 gets harrassed.
My question is: should I get him/her out? tank is 60 gal non-aggressive. Will it live in the bigger semi-aggressive tank?

caietaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar situation - bought a small group and let a pair form naturally. Eventually I had taken all out but 3 while trying to figure out who would end up in a pair. Ultimately a pair formed and constantly harassed the 3rd so I had to remove it. This was in a 150g tank.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above. Anytime you have a pair of mouth brooders the odd man out is not going to be tolerated. They're cool fish, you shouldn't have any problem getting someone to take him off of your hands.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a pair forms, it will molest the other Bengai probably to death. I had two pairs in a large tank, 300 gallons, and it was not big enough.

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a pair forms, it will molest the other Bengai probably to death. I had two pairs in a large tank, 300 gallons, and it was not big enough.

Now I'll try my best to get him/her out which is very tough. Tank has rocks, mangrove roots, etc. It has already stopped eating.......

Thank you so much!

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'll try my best to get him/her out which is very tough. Tank has rocks, mangrove roots, etc. It has already stopped eating.......

Thank you so much!

Update: successfully got it out and placed it in the semi-aggressive tank( all small at present) where it've been doing fine. They leave it alone.

These fish are easy. I found out I can keep them with small clown fish "in a bigger net" and they don't protest and feed as usual( was protecting them from being attacked).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back