Eye concern

MightyMouse85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home from picking up a super healthy Achilles tang and while I'm setting up everything and testing the QT I look at my shark as she was near me. I noticed her eyes look a little clouded and a red area in her eye. Anything I can do?

20170922_202203.jpg

Cheilinus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home from picking up a super healthy Achilles tang and while I'm setting up everything and testing the QT I look at my shark as she was near me. I noticed her eyes look a little clouded and a red area in her eye. Anything I can do?

20170922_202203.jpg
You might want to get a few more opinions here, but it looks like something may be picking at it. I formerly had my sharks in my pool with a pretty wide assortment of fish, and noticed this exact thing. The sharks were in there for about a year and a half before I had any issues. After watching for a bit, I saw the culprit (small 3" pale lipped tang - fairly new addition) slowly approaching one of the sharks and picking at her eye. I wound up removing the sharks and placing them in a separate pool, as the tang was becoming pretty relentless about it. Because I have so many other fish in the pool, I figured that I would play it safe and relocate the sharks to separate systems rather than removing the tang, only to have another fish start doing the exact same thing.

OP
OP
MightyMouse85

MightyMouse85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just found out how and now I'm even more worried. I got the tank for her. She is randomly shaking her head and almost jumped out of the tank.

Cheilinus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just found out how and now I'm even more worried. I got the tank for her. She is randomly shaking her head and almost jumped out of the tank.

Do you have access to a voltage meter? If not, you can grab one from most hardware stores at a fairly reasonable price (IMO an essential piece of equipment when keeping sharks). I would start by testing your tank for stray voltage (sharks are extremely sensitive to it). A fluke infestation may be another possibility that will cause head shaking, but I would start with testing for stray current first.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back