Factory reset on Apex.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef I’ve had my tank fallow for over a year while waiting for a move. During this time l’ve been doing many things to get it ready including setting up my Apex. I’ve been naming modules, outputs, inputs; doing a little labeling and programming. I have 26 modules mounted on controller boards and in cabinets. However I want to move some modules from place to place and change the sequence of modules in the AquaBus address. I also want to rename a lot of things too and delete most of the programming just to start over. Maybe I should do a factory reset and then shut the Apex system down until I have everything remounted and know what I want to label, name, and program? Does a factory reset delete all data because if it does that’s probably what I want? After some planning I’ll place the modules where I want them and connect them in sequence with AquaBus cables. Will the sequential numbering of AquaBus mirror the designated AquaBus address assigned by the Apex? Because recently I had my Apex working good and changed the order of AquaBus sequence and messed up a bunch of stuff. Now I have the addresses numbering not matching with the sequence at all. How do I get the addresses and sequenced to match and follow my plan? It will make everything easier and the time to do it is probably after the reset and before getting the equipment running. To get the numbers to match do I get the base unit going then connect each module with cable followed by configuring each module one by one?

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can rename all the outlets and modules - I assume that’s what you’re referring to? I wouldn’t reset it - I’d just plug the modules in and reconfigure/rename as you go when you reconnect everything.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However I want to move some modules from place to place and change the sequence of modules in the AquaBus chain of order. How do I get the assigned and sequenced to match and follow my plan?
There is a way...
You can telnet into your apex head unit, login with your usual apex user name and password (not fusion) and then from the command prompt use the following command:
Code:
abswp <addr1> <addr2>
Where <addr1> and <addr2> are the two AquaBus addresses you want swapped. This swaps AquaBus addresses of two modules already connected to the head unit (both modules must be connected when running the command).

For example, you have "EB832 #1" on AquaBus address "4" and "EB832 #2" on AquaBus address "6". You want your EB832 #2 on address "5", but it's being used by a Feeder.
Then you run this:
Code:
abswp 5 6

Above will assign address "5" to EB832 #2, address "6" to the Feeder and recommunicate with both modules. Repeat this for as many module pairs as you want to get the order you need.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a factory reset, all programming, names, AquaBus address assignments will be erased. The AquaBus addresses are assigned in sequential order as modules are connected for the first time. Once the Apex has assigned an AquaBus address, it will remember that address if you disconnect the module and reconnect it in a different port.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a way...
You can telnet into your apex head unit, login with your usual apex user name and password (not fusion) and then from the command prompt use the following command:
Code:
abswp <addr1> <addr2>
Where <addr1> and <addr2> are the two AquaBus addresses you want swapped. This swaps AquaBus addresses of two modules already connected to the head unit (both modules must be connected when running the command).

For example, you have "EB832 #1" on AquaBus address "4" and "EB832 #2" on AquaBus address "6". You want your EB832 #2 on address "5", but it's being used by a Feeder.
Then you run this:
Code:
abswp 5 6

Above will assign address "5" to EB832 #2, address "6" to the Feeder and recommunicate with both modules. Repeat this for as many module pairs as you want to get the order you need.
@_AV I don’t know how to Telnet and I’m pretty sure it would be too complicated. I have the chain branching out like a tree and not all in a straight string.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a factory reset, all programming, names, AquaBus address assignments will be erased. The AquaBus addresses are assigned in sequential order as modules are connected for the first time. Once the Apex has assigned an AquaBus address, it will remember that address if you disconnect the module and reconnect it in a different port.
@SuncrestReef will a factory reset erase my Fusion account?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef will a factory reset erase my Fusion account?
No, your Fusion account won’t be damaged. But the Apex linked in your account will report missing after the reset. Just go through the initial setup again to re-link it to Fusion.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a pinhole next to the Auxillary power supply. If you take a paper clip and insert and push for thirty seconds it should reset itself, pull all power to it afterwards

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef after careful consideration I have determined that a factory reset is what I need. How do I do this?
It depends on which model of Apex you have:

• For the new Apex 2016 and Apex-EL, use a paperclip to press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds until the logo light turns red, then release the paperclip.

• If you have an Apex Classic or older model, then you either need to log into the Classic Dashboard, then select Configuration --> Misc Setup --> Initialize memory -->Initialize All; or use the Display module buttons to select System --> Init Memory --> Init All.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on which model of Apex you have:

• For the new Apex 2016 and Apex-EL, use a paperclip to press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds until the logo light turns red, then release the paperclip.

• If you have an Apex Classic or older model, then you either need to log into the Classic Dashboard, then select Configuration --> Misc Setup --> Initialize memory -->Initialize All; or use the Display module buttons to select System --> Init Memory --> Init All.
@SuncrestReef I did a factory reset and now Fusion is giving me disconnection alarms. How do I stop this?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SuncrestReef I did a factory reset and now Fusion is giving me disconnection alarms. How do I stop this?
Delete the Apex from your Fusion account. In Fusion, from the list of connected Apex units, click the gear icon next to the disconnected Apex, then click Remove.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Delete the Apex from your Fusion account. In Fusion, from the list of connected Apex units, click the gear icon next to the disconnected Apex, then click Remove.
@SuncrestReef I did a factory reset about a month ago and removed the Apex from Fusion. However I decided that the AOS firmware has to be updated from time to time. So I went to set up my Apex again with just the EB832 and none of the other 20+ modules connected to the base unit. Upon plugging in the EB832 I was able to get Fusion with some of the original module and output names with tiles on the dashboard. So I did the paper clip for 30 seconds again and nothing. I want everything wiped out so I can start fresh. What went wrong?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back