Fading Color on Bicolor

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hadn't noticed anything on my Bicolor blenny till today, but it appears that part of his color is fading in different spots on his body, most on one side. It's almost looks like it is slightly bleached?
I'll try and attach a decent pic, but he's easily the hardest fish to get a good pic of in my tank.

I just fed and he was eating like a pro and wasn't acting weird. I'm wondering if this was something between him and my Melanurus wrasse because they've been acting weird between each other but I have no idea.

All other fish have no weird spots or anything like that and are acting fine.

Screenshot_20200411-103421.png IMG_20200411_102159.jpg IMG_20200411_102159.jpg MVIMG_20200411_102234.jpg

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How the blenny doing today?
Honestly he's been great. I looked a little deeper from other bicolor owners and apparently them fading in spots isn't super uncommon. Usually tied to stress.
I'm thinking it might have been because he got spooked real bad a night or two before this and jumped. Thankful I have a cover.

Still monitoring him, but so far he's been perfectly fine along with the other fish.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know my Starry Blenny will change its colors a bit depending on mood and camo needs.

wildcard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hadn't noticed anything on my Bicolor blenny till today, but it appears that part of his color is fading in different spots on his body, most on one side. It's almost looks like it is slightly bleached?
I'll try and attach a decent pic, but he's easily the hardest fish to get a good pic of in my tank.

I just fed and he was eating like a pro and wasn't acting weird. I'm wondering if this was something between him and my Melanurus wrasse because they've been acting weird between each other but I have no idea.

All other fish have no weird spots or anything like that and are acting fine.

Screenshot_20200411-103421.png IMG_20200411_102159.jpg IMG_20200411_102159.jpg MVIMG_20200411_102234.jpg
When you say he's eating great, may I ask what you feed him? I'm trying to get my new guy to eat a little more. I don't see him eat much, I've been trying a few things but would love any insight you have.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those "bleached" areas white and filmy looking? Or are they raised a bit and cottony, fibrous, or cauliflower looking in texture?

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those "bleached" areas white and filmy looking? Or are they raised a bit and cottony, fibrous, or cauliflower looking in texture?
Not sure if this was for me or the person above, but color ended up returning as normal and no health issue with him. He's been doing great now!

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say he's eating great, may I ask what you feed him? I'm trying to get my new guy to eat a little more. I don't see him eat much, I've been trying a few things but would love any insight you have.
Not sure how much frozen food you've tried, but I have yet to have a fish say no to Rod's foods. I honestly try to mix up feeding. I'll alternate between flakes, pellets, and frozen foods. Just be careful, a little frozen food can go a long way and can lead to nitrate and phosphate rises, but about twice or three times a week I feed Rod's food. Honestly my blenny always seems to be eating, their primary diet is algae, so he might be eating a lot of that in your tank as well.

wildcard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how much frozen food you've tried, but I have yet to have a fish say no to Rod's foods. I honestly try to mix up feeding. I'll alternate between flakes, pellets, and frozen foods. Just be careful, a little frozen food can go a long way and can lead to nitrate and phosphate rises, but about twice or three times a week I feed Rod's food. Honestly my blenny always seems to be eating, their primary diet is algae, so he might be eating a lot of that in your tank as well.
Thanks so much! I was eyeing Rods and almost added it to my BRS order when I realized it would be $30 shipping just for it so I am going to track it down at a LFS today. I see him nipping at algae on the rocks but it doesn’t look like much. I want to be extra diligent cuz he’s got such great personality! Thanks again!

Back