Fake vs real coral discussion

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, I live in Miami. We get hurricanes and I won’t live in my parent’s house forever. I want the tank to look beautiful and nice, but one part of me doesn’t want to waste money if there will be a hurricane that will kill everything , or if I move out and husbandry doesn’t keep up.

Tank is 300 gallons.

This is a picture I really liked online.
A3D20D62-24AE-47DE-A8A9-6CB4666CC04C.jpeg

Is it a bad idea to do this? I feel like I’m a disgrace if I don’t use corals. I’m really good at keeping them, but I don’t know. I’m scared to invest money and for it to go to waste. That’s my concern.

This is a picture I like if I were to go with corals:

076A4E6C-386D-41DF-B45B-78C1C31D1841.jpeg

2 year update: guys, stop resurrecting my old threads!!! The cringe is real.

I chose the corals. No regrets here. :)

Last edited:

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it’s up to you friend. Nothing anyone on here truly dictates what you choose to do. Sure, there might be someone who tries to slam you for doing something they wouldn’t, but honestly, who cares? You’re in this hobby for you right?

What do YOU want to do? You’re not feeling corals while you live there? Awesome, you could have an awesome FOWLR or FO tank. Don’t choose to do something you don’t want simply because you feel it wouldn’t be popular online. This hobby is about enjoying what we do. If you feel you’d enjoy a fish only tank for now? Go for it.

And honestly, your concerns are valid. Just because you don’t want coral now doesn’t mean you can’t later. In other words

angry parks and recreation GIF

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth: I want corals. I get pleasure from corals. I know I wouldn’t be happy with the fake corals.

It appears that buying the fake corals will cost even more than buying the real frags that will end up filling the tank.

I have a generator, but I’m not happy with it. It’s not fully connected to the tank and the house is so big that the generator runs out before the day. Last hurricane in 2017 was not good because it bleached my test frags.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had problems with some fake corals getting covered with brown algae and it was hard to clean. I had some of the really nice silicone ones which actually float, they had the most life like look, but when I tried to clean them with a bleach solution it messed up the color. The harder inserts which look like the ones pictured were easier to clean and leave out in the sun, but I would still have little spots of algae in the crevices.

I'm sure there is a better way to keep them clean.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The honest truth is you wont get a lot of positive feedback or respect from saltwater hobbyists with a tank full of fake coral. It's generally viewed as tacky and cheap looking. However, if YOU like it, that may be all that matters. Those outside the hobby will also likely appreciate it much more than hobbyists.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fake corals will not stay colorful very long. A perfect example I know of is the beginning credits of "Tanked". The fake corals are grey/green and covered with algae.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fake corals will not stay colorful very long. A perfect example I know of is the beginning credits of "Tanked". The fake corals are grey/green and covered with algae.
Can I please see a link?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the regular cleaning that will be necessary to keep the fake coral nice looking seems like a real chore. I imagine once a week having to pull all of them out for cleaning.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300g tank of planted macro algae full of angels and butterflies. :D:D:D:D

Remember though that fish are expensive and living things so losing them to a hurricane would be just as devastating :( Maybe a generator?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were going to do a fish only tank, I’d just do a FOWLR. Tanks can look gorgeous with just some good live rock. I could never do fake corals, they just look like cheap FW decorations to me. Live rock looks natural, and while it may not be a reef with out the corals, IMO its the only viable option if you don’t want corals.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't agree with @BeltedCoyote more. In any case, I've thought about doing fake coral if I ever do a second tank because I really like several fish that are definitely not coral safe but I'd still want the look of coral in the tank. I have a friend who has fake coral in his tank and it looks pristine (no color fading) after 5 years at this point. Can't comment on keeping it clean however since he hires a service to take care of maintenance. Although I imagine they use heavy doses of algaecide regularly as part of the regimen.

kaylajoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the cleaning comments. The only thing I hate about fake plants and stuff are that they are hard to keep clean.

FOWLR can still look very nice though :) and there are also macro algaes and other coral-lookalikes.

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth: I want corals. I get pleasure from corals. I know I wouldn’t be happy with the fake corals.

It appears that buying the fake corals will cost even more than buying the real frags that will end up filling the tank.

I have a generator, but I’m not happy with it. It’s not fully connected to the tank and the house is so big that the generator runs out before the day. Last hurricane in 2017 was not good because it bleached my test frags.
I am in Fort Lauderdale and also deal with power outages and stuff. Your best bet is to have a energy back up just for the basics. If I ever lose power, I have enough energy to power one out of two ai primes, one power head, a heater, and the return pump. U don’t need to power extras in an emergency. And if it gets too hot, put a frozen bottle into it. My tank is pretty good, and so is others in Florida, so it can be done. But like others have said, your in this hobby for you!

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was without power for 11 days after Irma. Battery backups on power-heads which also helps for small outages, and generator to keep the return pumps running as well as well as the lights for 5 or 6 hours per day. And window ACs keeping the tanks from boiling.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big difference I see between fake and real corals is that fake corals get algae on them fast, and before you know it, all you have is some brown ceramic rocks. Fake corals can be done well, especially mixed in with some real ones, but alone, I think they will always seem artificial.
This is speaking from experience, as I used to have a freshwater tank that had fake coral decor, but I'd always have to replace the pieces because algae would quickly overrun the rocks and the color would fade. Natural is not only easier to clean, but it also looks natural when taken over by algae.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a great live coral reef tank.
I bought an artificial Montipora to fill in a cave. Since it was way too dark for anything to grow.
It’s clearly the best artificial I’ve ever seen! Even my LFS maintenance people said if they could have a frag for trade… till I told them it was fake! . Funny to say the least but I did pay $100 just for it. If you want the real deal, fake corals that look real, you must pay a real deal.
Good luck!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back