Fake vs real coral discussion

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live with my parents and I’ve been taking care of the reef tank because I love it.

However, I live in Miami. We get hurricanes and I won’t live in my parent’s house forever. I want the tank to look beautiful and nice, but one part of me doesn’t want to waste money if there will be a hurricane that will kill everything , or if I move out and husbandry doesn’t keep up.

Tank is 300 gallons.

This is a picture I really liked online.
A3D20D62-24AE-47DE-A8A9-6CB4666CC04C.jpeg

Is it a bad idea to do this? I feel like I’m a disgrace if I don’t use corals. I’m really good at keeping them, but I don’t know. I’m scared to invest money and for it to go to waste. That’s my concern.

This is a picture I like if I were to go with corals:

076A4E6C-386D-41DF-B45B-78C1C31D1841.jpeg
Get a generator and your tank will be fine.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a generator and your tank will be fine.
I am from Miami but I moved a few years ago. My uncle who lives in Miami had a 400 gallon and did fine because of the generator. It is a life saver. I have one and it is a good investment.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live with my parents and I’ve been taking care of the reef tank because I love it.

However, I live in Miami. We get hurricanes and I won’t live in my parent’s house forever. I want the tank to look beautiful and nice, but one part of me doesn’t want to waste money if there will be a hurricane that will kill everything , or if I move out and husbandry doesn’t keep up.

Tank is 300 gallons.

Is it a bad idea to do this? I feel like I’m a disgrace if I don’t use corals. I’m really good at keeping them, but I don’t know. I’m scared to invest money and for it to go to waste. That’s my concern.

I know how this decision turned out ;) good choice right!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 year update: guys, stop resurrecting my old threads!!! The cringe is real.

I chose the corals. No regrets here. :)
The only regret I have was being so dang cringe. I wish I can have all my old threads deleted. Gah

Yes, I updated the original post! Lol

Lee adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is anything "cringe" about your post whatsoever..Here in the Philippines our coast lines are full of live coral but putting even frags in a tank is illegal and the fines are high if caught..I've just ordered some fake stuff and will judge how it looks After I put it in..If it looks crap then it's coming out..All my algae is in my refugium where it belongs so I doubt this stuff will get messed up in a hurry but we will see..Nothing ventured,nothing gained IMO.

1697351382543.png

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tank is 300 gallons.

2 year update: guys, stop resurrecting my old threads!!! The cringe is real.

I chose the corals. No regrets here. :)
To think your tank looks nothing like that coral photo and looks more like the fake photo haha, you got the best of both worlds!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is anything "cringe" about your post whatsoever..Here in the Philippines our coast lines are full of live coral but putting even frags in a tank is illegal and the fines are high if caught..I've just ordered some fake stuff and will judge how it looks After I put it in..If it looks crap then it's coming out..All my algae is in my refugium where it belongs so I doubt this stuff will get messed up in a hurry but we will see..Nothing ventured,nothing gained IMO.

1697351382543.png
So in the Philippines it’s illegal to have coral in a tank? Does this go over all species of coral or just Stony Corals?

I know this sounds like a dumb question but I know some laws can have exceptions.

Lee adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in the Philippines it’s illegal to have coral in a tank? Does this go over all species of coral or just Stony Corals?

I know this sounds like a dumb question but I know some laws can have exceptions.
Any corals including softies..I've been searching for exceptions all year but to no avail unfortunately..Luckily fish are OK as long as I don't catch them in a reserve.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back