Fall Reefing: What's on the AquaAgenda?

Do you have any special reefing plans for the fall season?

• YES (tell us about it in the thread)

Votes: 58 34.1%
  • NO

Votes: 77 45.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 29 17.1%
  • It's not fall where I'm from!

Votes: 6 3.5%

• Total voters

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dialing in nutrients trying to crank up those colors. Mostly, committed to hands out of the system for several months, to let all of the colonies that have been recently cut down, recover.

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to create a little space inside my stand so I'm going to take a shot at building a new sump. Wish me luck!
Good luck!

I'm getting back into reefing, after a nearly four-year hiatus, with a nano tank. Details are in my build thread, and here is a photo from this morning:

20221003_120204.jpg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mrs wants front room where tank is decorated,so in next week or 2,going to paint ceiling and 3 walls then need to wallpaper on wall where fish tank is pffft so going have to drain about 2/3 rds of water from my 80 gallon into big plastering buckets then move tank forward about 1-2 -1 metre from wall so can first strip wall paper them put new wall paper up.

Not looking forward to it as got 2 large main rock structures that all glued and mortared together then also epoxied a small rock to connect the 2 together ,I don't really want to lift these rock structures out as was a pain to get in tank past my euro brace as only just fit if turned/twisted them as putting in tank and as choose method of not siphoning sand at all since tank been up about 19 months,little scared if remove rock structures and disturb the sandbed and create problems so little apprehensive, also my adjustable legs on bottom off stand are raised to high so 80 gallon tank literally rocks if press on side lol,but I'm hoping once 2/3 the water drained then I can adjust the legs lower and hopefully all goes well and don't lose no livestock whilst doing the move forward a little then move back once decorated and then add another ywg as not seen mine for few months then possibly now my tank more mature, add 1 or a pair off red scooter blennies ^_^

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long list lol's. Tank is coming up to 1 year old. Lots of yearly maintenance
3xl900 240g
-replace UV bulb
-clean 2 cor 20 pumps-1 at a time to keep water flow going
-clean skimmer pump
-clean UV pump and move to main sump area
-Add led strip lights to cabinet so I don't have to use flashlights to see
-catch 6 staghorn damsels and remove!
-clean sump a bit.
-decide what to do with 2nd sump once I remove the UV pump-remove baffle and have 1 large refugium or add a frag section.

e170 45g
-nitrates down
-add rainbow bubble tip anemone
-make this tank back into a thriving reef tank
-add a few more smaller fish
-add a doser
that's a start lol's

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT'S FALL Y'ALL!

With fall finally here again we start to kick off a new season in reefing....normally. More people generally come out of "summer vacation" mode and start to spend more time reefing, working on special projects, etc. What about you? Let's talk about it!

Do you have any special reefing plans for the fall season? If so what are they!

image via @WWC Forest Fire Digi looks like Halloween!

We will be traveling to Orlando next week and plan on visiting WWC and some of the local fish stores while there. Just upgraded to a much larger tank so have lots of room for more corals

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I did something yesterday I normally don’t do-
I changed water !!
I also restocked on dry and frozen foods for the next 4-5 months

zen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be going to Carolina Reef Experience Oct 22, upgrading my sump and adding a third tank to my system. Last but not least, continuing to dream of a bigger tank. That should keep my busy for a while.

Fish_Fry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ultimate goal is to stock my relatively new tank.

In the short term this fall I’ll be:

1. Setting up a QT tank
  2. Making enhancements to my RODI / mixing station
  3. Working on ways to improve my water change process
  4. Starting a phyto culture
I should also work on cord management.

Tom

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading from an IM25 to IM50. Already have the new tank and miscellaneous upgrades but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the logistics.

Marinexx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Just purchased 2 Finnex temperature controllers to reduce temp variation throughout the winter.
2. Continue to bring down nitrates (25) and phosphates (0.17) while growing chaeto in sump. (3 previous chaeto failures now behind with 6 weeks of success).
3. Retime kalkwasser for night dosing while lights out to reduce variation in pH.

htorresphotography

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT'S FALL Y'ALL!

With fall finally here again we start to kick off a new season in reefing....normally. More people generally come out of "summer vacation" mode and start to spend more time reefing, working on special projects, etc. What about you? Let's talk about it!

Do you have any special reefing plans for the fall season? If so what are they!

image via @WWC Forest Fire Digi looks like Halloween!
Already looking at upgrading to a bigger 60-75 cube or tall, but no more than 37 inches wide. And just adding more coral life to my current 20gal

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many things I need to do, not enough time. I just completed a 150 gallon (50% water change - 1-2 times a year I do them.)

I just did my annual (closer to 13 month) T5 4 80 watt bulb replacement today. (they came today).

I have on order stuff to make more fish food, which I'll need to schedule 2-3 hours for.

I have on order my annual ICP test.

Then, I may need to tear down my tank to catch my 3 year old Dragon Wrasse. Love the fish to death, but he's buried his last corals in my tank. He's probably destroyed around $1000 worth of coral frags over the last year. I had a frag rack I thought He couldn't pull the corals off of, but he did! I found the plugs buried in the sand all over the tank.

So, he has to go... I don't know yet how I'm going to catch him, when he can burrow deep into the sand himself. But, My fall activity is to find a way to get him out.. Another 3 hours probably of pulling rock work and placing into buckets to try to get him. I'm not excited about the next few weeks of my fall. . .

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back