Fallow coming to end

LordHelm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow will be day 42 of my fallow after losing 2 clowns and a fire fish to brook. The clown was completely covered in slime and knocked all 3 out in 36 hours. Noticed the fire fish flashing and within 36 hours all gone. Added the fire fish just days earlier. The firefish and one clown actually looked ok, but the last fish to go (clown) was completely covered in slime and looked as if he was melting.

Plan is to add just 2 clowns to start and then in a couple weeks add 2 more. I am going to buy from Dr Reefs to help avoid bringing anything into the tank. Up to debate and suggestions on what other 2 fish to add in a 45 gallon tank with zoas, duncans, and euphyllia.

However, I am honestly anxious about adding fish. Should I use some bottle bacteria to play it safe? I have been feeding my coral so the bacteria should be fine according to my LFS. I would have thought I would have been excited for fallow to end, but just so nervous. I am dragging my feet on ordering due to that. I had some slight issues with water parameters during the fallow, but phosphate and nitrate are now back in a good range.

Anyone want to talk some confidence in me? haha

Maybe some opinions or thoughts.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine. Bacteria is still there. Take it from me went fallow several times even for 90 days

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems a bit short of a fallow period to me. What temperature is the tank?
Brook has direct development so should die out pretty quickly, but I’ve not read any actual studies on its minimum fallow period. I’m also concerned about definitive diagnosis without a microscope - what if it was something else? 60 days seems safer.
Since the tank has corals and such, beneficial bacteria won’t be a problem.

Jay

OP
OP
L

LordHelm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems a bit short of a fallow period to me. What temperature is the tank?
Brook has direct development so should die out pretty quickly, but I’ve not read any actual studies on its minimum fallow period. I’m also concerned about definitive diagnosis without a microscope - what if it was something else? 60 days seems safer.
Since the tank has corals and such, beneficial bacteria won’t be a problem.

Jay
Thank you. It is at 78 degrees and pretty steady at all times. By the time I actually have the guts to order the fish and decide what to buy I will be closer to 60 days. I also hear that Dr. Reef takes time to ship. I know this thread on reef2reef did align with what my LFS said with fallow time.

OP
OP
L

LordHelm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine. Bacteria is still there. Take it from me went fallow several times even for 90 days
Thank you. I am flip flopping on starting with just 2 clowns or with 2 clowns and maybe a bicolor blenny. I have a decent amount of hair algae for them to eat.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. It is at 78 degrees and pretty steady at all times. By the time I actually have the guts to order the fish and decide what to buy I will be closer to 60 days. I also hear that Dr. Reef takes time to ship. I know this thread on reef2reef did align with what my LFS said with fallow time.

That’s a really old thread, and some of those initial numbers were found to be a bit off. Remember “fallow periods” are all just a guess based on experience and data from failed attempts. Longer is safer, but is sometimes carried to extremes (I hear people saying things like 90 days).
IMO - the biggest issue is failed biosecurity - not quarantining new animals after a fallow,etc.
Jay

OP
OP
L

LordHelm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a really old thread, and some of those initial numbers were found to be a bit off. Remember “fallow periods” are all just a guess based on experience and data from failed attempts. Longer is safer, but is sometimes carried to extremes (I hear people saying things like 90 days).
IMO - the biggest issue is failed biosecurity - not quarantining new animals after a fallow,etc.
Jay
So I am still holding off on buying and plan to wait for at least the 60 day period. I am going to buy from Dr Reefs so they will be quarantined. I am still set on the 2 clowns but still flip flopping on number 2. A lawnmower blenny would love my tank due to some patched of hair algae.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I waited 76 days and although I love clownfish ill never add one to my tank again. QT or no QT.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back