Fallow Questions

CoralFan1776

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had tanks setup for over 20 years and just experienced my first disease problem that I couldn't just feed my way through.

After much reading here I decided the problem was velvet.
I purchased a quarantine tank and got the remaining fish into copper.
It looks like 3 of the 7 fish I started with will survive.
The surviving fish are a yellow tang, purple tang, and an engineer blenny/goby.
I lost a powder blue tang, coral beauty angle, six line wrasse, and a tail spot blenny.

Questions:
I left a cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, cucumber, snails, couple of leather coral, misc colony worms in the display tank. From what I've read none of these will host velvet or ich.
Is this correct?

I'm planning on doing the 76 day fallow period for the display tank in case there was also ich involved.
I just want to make sure that when I put the fish back in that it isn't possible for them to be infected again.

I am still feeding the shrimp in the display tank of course...

Thanks for any insight.

OP
OP
C

CoralFan1776

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had tanks setup for over 20 years and just experienced my first disease problem that I couldn't just feed my way through.

I lost a powder blue tang, coral beauty angle, six line wrasse, and a tail spot blenny.

Questions:
I left a cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, cucumber, snails, couple of leather coral, misc colony worms in the display tank. From what I've read none of these will host velvet or ich.
Is this correct?

I'm planning on doing the 76 day fallow period for the display tank in case there was also ich involved.
I just want to make sure that when I put the fish back in that it isn't possible for them to be infected again.

Thanks for any insight.
I somehow duplicated this thread.
I couldn't figure out how to delete one.
Can a mod delete one or someone tell me how I can?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes only fish have to be removed for fish parasites. The fallow 76 days starts when the last fish is removed. The parasites will eventually die of starvation without their food source. The 76 days is based on the longest time from cyst to active free-swimming parasite and its life span as free swimming.

Rgbpixels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Questions:
Is this correct?

Thanks for any insight.

Just stared my fallow and October 5th is my last day. My cleaner shrimp, crabs and snails are all still in and was told by multiple folks they do not carry the diseases. Also in the process of installing a UV to help out as well.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct, your invertebrates and corals will be fine in the DT during your fallow period.
Agree^^^

Sounds like you are on the right track, sorry to hear you are dealing with velvet. It is no fun....

OP
OP
C

CoralFan1776

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Agree with above, and duplicate thread has been deleted.
Thank you for deleting the dup.

Also thanks to everyone for responding.
This matches what I had read but just wanted the reassurance from people that had been through it.

It was kind of an odd deal.
It wasn't as quick as most of the velvet descriptions have been but it did fit the longer variations that have been described out there.
I'm thinking it matches the scenario where the LFS didn't use high enough copper levels and it left the fish with partial immunity.
I did use ruby reef kick ich and rally and maybe it slowed it down...

As an aside, I used coppersafe and the dosing instructions matched the actual value as read with a Hanna copper meter fairly closely.

Last edited:

Sidewyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, how'd the fish do? What's your results? I'm curious as I lost one fish that had ich and copper killed it so I started the TTM and fallow treatment. I get to put the tank together a few days before christmas...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back