Fallow time frame for other than ick/velvet

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display tank went fallow for 90+ days with only corals. I recently added a royal gramma and a blue yellow damsel to the display tank. They both received formalin bath, prazipro, and copper for 35 days in QT.

As soon as they entered the display tank, the damsel developed pink sores on the body but he has fully recovered. On a rare occasion, the damsel will yawn. The royal gramma developed bacteria fungal infection showing skin discoloration and frayed fins. I’ve been feeding metroplex and kanaplex in their food and the royal gramma has grown back his fins but still has slight color discoloration on his body.

If I catch these two fish and put in QT, should the display tank go fallow and for how many days?

Is it possible for bacteria or fungal infection to cause a fish to yawn?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be uronema, which is a “free living” parasite which does not require a fish host. So, going fallow will not eradicate it.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/uronema-marinum.247940/

Contrary to popular belief, I've been seeing uronema on several non-damsel species recently.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean too hijack the thread....but I am curious what other species of fish are you seeing uronema and how frequently?

Anthias, angels, butterflies, wrasses (all confirmed via microscope) ... My last shipment was loaded with uronema. Very depressing, because Chloroquine/formalin/metro doesn't always help right away, especially if the fish is already too far gone. :(

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias, angels, butterflies, wrasses (all confirmed via microscope) ... My last shipment was loaded with uronema. Very depressing, because Chloroquine/formalin/metro doesn't always help right away, especially if the fish is already too far gone. :(
That's really depressing. Very curious too, as it was previously just thought of as an opportunistic pathogen affecting damsels and the occasional anthias/butterfly. I hope this doesn't explode into a total cluster like is the case with velvet, or I may have to give up on keeping fish altogether :(

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really depressing. Very curious too, as it was previously just thought of as an opportunistic pathogen affecting damsels and the occasional anthias/butterfly. I hope this doesn't explode into a total cluster like is the case with velvet, or I may have to give up on keeping fish altogether :(

It just keeps getting worse, doesn't it?!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure does! That's terrible! It seems like nothing works......! Out of curiosity....do you have a theory why this is becoming more and more common, and why more species are now becoming affected?

Well, being most SW fish are obtained from the same collectors, but our European counterparts don't seem to have as many fish disease problems... I must conclude that US wholesalers are "polluted" with disease-ridden fish.

I used to live in London, and still have industry contacts in the UK, Germany, etc. All these fish come from the same overseas collectors, but the difference is whenever a European Wholesaler gets hit with velvet, uronema, etc. they take the time to bleach their systems and clean up the mess. These California wholesalers just keep going no matter how bad it gets, they never skip a beat because profit margins are on the line. Fish flipping is the name of the game - move it down the supply chain as quickly as possible so the fish doesn't die while you still own it. ;)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, being most SW fish are obtained from the same collectors, but our European counterparts don't seem to have as many fish disease problems... I must conclude that US wholesalers are "polluted" with disease-ridden fish.

I used to live in London, and still have industry contacts in the UK, Germany, etc. All these fish come from the same overseas collectors, but the difference is whenever a European Wholesaler gets hit with velvet, uronema, etc. they take the time to bleach their systems and clean up the mess. These California wholesalers just keep going no matter how bad it gets, they never skip a beat because profit margins are on the line. Fish flipping is the name of the game - move it down the supply chain as quickly as possible so the fish doesn't die while you still own it. ;)

I get the whole concept, but according to my LFS, any lost fish go down as a tax write-off... If this is the case, why wouldn't they ensure the product(fish) they are distributing are clean and clear of sickness to reinforce their own reputations?

smh...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the whole concept, but according to my LFS, any lost fish go down as a tax write-off... If this is the case, why wouldn't they ensure the product(fish) they are distributing are clean and clear of sickness to reinforce their own reputations?

My experience with them suggests there is a lot more demand than available supply. Whenever I apply for a new wholesale account, it can take weeks before they get back with me. So why change anything about your business model if you already have more business than you can handle??

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is this the case for absolutely every single wholesaler? There isn't one US-based one that gives a darn about this? Out of curiosity, have you spoken to any of the wholesalers directly about this issue? It may be confrontational, but I don't think I'd be able to refrain from bringing it up if I got to talk to them.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, @Humblefish is spot on with my experience as well. I don’t treat as many fish as Bobby, however.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the case for absolutely every single wholesaler? There isn't one US-based one that gives a darn about this? Out of curiosity, have you spoken to any of the wholesalers directly about this issue? It may be confrontational, but I don't think I'd be able to refrain from bringing it up if I got to talk to them.

So far, I've found 2 that actually seem to care. But they are small and their selection is limited (people want high-end wrasses they do not carry).

I've got 2 more wholesalers currently on my radar that I have high hopes for. I'm gonna try them all. I drop around $1000 with each on my first order so I can see the pros & cons firsthand.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back