Fan placement in stand

Jwalker814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you just leave the rear of the stand open?

Less to deal with and then you can reach anything that may fall behind

OP
OP
spikedangles

spikedangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to say, because I'm trying to isolate electrical (plugs/controllers) but it more to do with aesthetics. I'm the type of guy who cleans the engine bay when I clean my car. There will be access ports on the left and right side toward the bottom.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming from the IT world, just be sure you add some type of filter to your fan. And air blowing in is always preferable unless you're dealing with an air tight compartment. (because the flow will bleed out)

OP
OP
spikedangles

spikedangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming from the IT world, just be sure you add some type of filter to your fan. And air blowing in is always preferable unless you're dealing with an air tight compartment. (because the flow will bleed out)

Any ideas on what to use as a filter? I've seen people use window screen on a removable frame. Perhaps a thin sheet of some type of foam?

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You might like this link,...http://www.rapidled.com/120mm-vantec-stealth-fan-kit/ I know rapid led will. :)

The Vantec Stealth fans are super quite, you can run four of these fans which is sweet.

The Vantec Stealth fans are dead silent.

The filter that comes with the fan is not needed as it will slow the flow on any fan and really not needed.[emoji106] [emoji111]

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't filter a fan. Never had any issues without doing so for the last 30+ years.
Not trying to cool a microprocessor or anything and filters just plug up quickly and restrict flow around moist air. It's simple to wipe the blades off once a month or so with a dampened paper towel.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used the fans a lot it was easy to wipe the blades off using the same paper towels used to clean my bulbs and reflectors once a month. It's amazing how much gunk builds up and reduces circulation even when blwing in and not sucking moist air out.

keithp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20160310_200846_486-800x600.jpg
IMG_20160310_200916_035-800x600.jpg

I have 2 enclosures and blow air up from under the tank into the first which is quarantine and then a second pushes the same air over the sump. There is a large opening in the back to access the skimmer so it probably didn't require a fan in the first place. Neither fan blows directly on the water surface and both are out of the way.

The fans run all the time but I should have it temperature controlled. The heaters run a lot since I plugged the fans in and my noisy ATO runs too much. The air inside is always cool but it has not been tested on a hot day yet. Adding a fan to the canopy is on the to do list.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't filter a fan. Never had any issues without doing so for the last 30+ years.
Not trying to cool a microprocessor or anything and filters just plug up quickly and restrict flow around moist air. It's simple to wipe the blades off once a month or so with a dampened paper towel.

Fans are definitely not build like they used to be though.. :(

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to install fans on my current new build , I am install 2 120mm fans on a 4ft stand should I have two exit holes or just one large one on my stand ?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out post #5....good advice....you want the same area of exit as entry. One or two isn't as critical, although dependent on fan locations, I'd lean towards two exit points.

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread. Thank you all for the advice and tips.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The air being exhausted from the sump is more humid and contains salt spray which tends to corrode fans quite quickly. Most people report much better life expectancy of fans blowing into the sump with passive exhaust. (Adequate exhaust venting is important, of course.)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back