FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
11 blue eyed cardinals and maybe some springeri/Talbots damsels. Nothing sexy but will add some good activity to the tank.
I’m gonna play devils advocate for a minute....You fired up the denitrator because your nitrate was getting out of control. So wouldn’t 11 new fish stoke that nitrate problem more? Or are you counting on having the denitrator on permanently? Or am I totally not following something correctly? Lol. I’m just curious really...

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna play devils advocate for a minute....You fired up the denitrator because your nitrate was getting out of control. So wouldn’t 11 new fish stoke that nitrate problem more? Or are you counting on having the denitrator on permanently? Or am I totally not following something correctly? Lol. I’m just curious really...
The denitrator is permanent. I’m hoping it’ll help me keep nitrates around 5-10ppm. Mine are currently 25+ and the issue is the +... as I feel like it’s giving me a 25ppm result but lately I’ve had a ton more algae and cyano growth then normal. Even 2 weeks into running the denitrator my nitrates are still 25+ but there is much less algae film on the glass lately and less growth in algae overall... I know it’s already doing it’s job well. I’d prefer it to drop nitrates slowly anyways so I going slow is perfect for me.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRO Lunar Lemonade
E7FA3D87-29CE-4EAE-8E6E-107B7D21AD90.jpeg

SCOP
6ADB3ABD-A042-418E-9D0C-47A83BA7BEC9.jpeg

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those carpet nems that look to be spreading like wildfire all over?

BC teen Wolf
B73E07E3-6D89-4BCA-9A6E-155E7DF05B42.jpeg

Gorgeous corals and gorgeous photos!
As I feed more, they seem to be proliferating. They’ve never bothered me before and make a wonderful DMZ zone between the acros but I was just thinking last week I might slowly start removing them. It just makes it hard to pick up the tiles when needed and when my finger does brush one, always makes me jump since they are so sticky. Feels like something is trying to eat you.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, those denitrators don’t mess around. 4 weeks into operation and my 25+ ppm of nitrates is now 10 ppm as of yesterday. I know the pic I have it by the 5 ppm mark but my wife’s trained eye said I was wrong. I’ll trust her over my ability to only discern 4 different colors in the color spectrum.
1E03425D-08B6-4F15-9D1C-F944D7C162CA.jpeg

As far as the damage from the denitrator transition, lost a couple things in the beginning but otherwise much better than last time. There’s about 1-2 things that are still ticked but I think they’ll pull through it I fragged it up to save it... which has worked well for this.

Quick gig update... there is none. Little booger walked the first day into a cave in the back of the tank and been living it up back there mocking me. I’ve been patient but this weekend I’m tearing up my rock structure to get him if he doesn’t move by then.

1 more week and the dither fish are ready to go into the display. 11 blue eyed cardinals and a couple of springeri damsels, and a few Talbots. I can’t even believe I’m talking about adding them but I think their activity and size will offset the lumbering angels I have in the tank currently.

Lastly backup tank is full steam ahead. Stable Params and finally enough fish in there to maintain some decent nutrients. Acros are coloring and growing in it so I plan to start moving pieces over from the display for backup purposes.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I feed more, they seem to be proliferating. They’ve never bothered me before and make a wonderful DMZ zone between the acros but I was just thinking last week I might slowly start removing them. It just makes it hard to pick up the tiles when needed and when my finger does brush one, always makes me jump since they are so sticky. Feels like something is trying to eat you.
Well let me know if you want to get rid of some :)

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait so those are dozens of mini carpets?

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100s of mini carpet nems. They never get bigger than a silver dollar. I’ll try to get a macro picture of one... the colors are pretty spectacular.
That's nuts! How long have they been in there for?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's nuts! How long have they been in there for?
I’ve had at least one since 2008. They moved with me over the various tanks and houses. They’re only in the frag tanks. I let them loose there and they took off. I probably have over 100 now would be my guess.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, those denitrators don’t mess around. 4 weeks into operation and my 25+ ppm of nitrates is now 10 ppm as of yesterday. I know the pic I have it by the 5 ppm mark but my wife’s trained eye said I was wrong. I’ll trust her over my ability to only discern 4 different colors in the color spectrum.
1E03425D-08B6-4F15-9D1C-F944D7C162CA.jpeg

As far as the damage from the denitrator transition, lost a couple things in the beginning but otherwise much better than last time. There’s about 1-2 things that are still ticked but I think they’ll pull through it I fragged it up to save it... which has worked well for this.

Quick gig update... there is none. Little booger walked the first day into a cave in the back of the tank and been living it up back there mocking me. I’ve been patient but this weekend I’m tearing up my rock structure to get him if he doesn’t move by then.

1 more week and the dither fish are ready to go into the display. 11 blue eyed cardinals and a couple of springeri damsels, and a few Talbots. I can’t even believe I’m talking about adding them but I think their activity and size will offset the lumbering angels I have in the tank currently.

Lastly backup tank is full steam ahead. Stable Params and finally enough fish in there to maintain some decent nutrients. Acros are coloring and growing in it so I plan to start moving pieces over from the display for backup purposes.
Where did you get your sulfur for it? link?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your sulfur for it? link?
I had it from the first time... some eBay sulfur. I don’t want to post the link in case it’s bad sulfur and people crash their tanks and all blame me. :oops:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back