OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I know I mentioned a purple gig about a month ago. I pretreated with Cipro for 10 days and then put it in my display on a nice dead efflo plate. That was that. He walked to the bottom, back of the tank and could only be seen when I removed the back cover of my tank and look at him from my fish room side. Lame.

I tried all sorts of manner to convince him to move since he was at the bottom of a 28” deep tank and I have T-rex arms and couldn’t get him. I tried shading him the whole time... didn’t work. I tried blasting him with a Radion light for 20+ hrs for 3-4 days... he didn’t care.

I was done with it this past weekend and decided to rip up my right rock structure to get him out. A couple accidental frags later... And a sore back.... and I got him! The rocks surpringly went back together nicely and is almost exactly the same as before.

Him being shaded to convince to move
314E7595-EBB1-4882-A1C5-763C0F1A19E4.jpeg

Bye bye right rock structure
6286CF5C-CEC8-47A6-B0C8-91DB7A9D281D.jpeg

He was wrapped around the bottom of this giant rock. It was fun tilting it in-tank while trying not to crush my efflo on the other side
C70FBF5D-73A0-40FB-B5CA-2DD9A9AC89F1.jpeg

He wasn’t happy
579AB37C-FB3B-43CF-8A25-42EB467EF2E0.jpeg

Gotcha
DBC6925C-F22C-467C-BCA6-467C917FEE85.jpeg

Happy guy on the rock I wanted him on before. Mission accomplished.

Tank back together.
28E82559-FAFC-4667-A4D7-898CA0AEC748.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I hate when that happens. can you direct a power head on it? Will keep it happy without moving.
It gets blasted in the new spot and gigs have a reputation of never moving once attached so I feel pretty safe but that’s a good idea. I had some algae on that plate before and I think it couldn’t get a firm hold so why it decided to walk the first time. I cleared a spot for its foot this time to attach and it’s solid on there now. I don’t think it’s going anywhere but if it does, I’ll take it out and punt it across the fish room. I’m kidding by the way...I wouldn’t do that. I play basketball... I’d just shoot it in the trash can... nothing but net. ;)

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch that the column of the foot does not rise up like a toadstool coral. When it does that, the gig is going to move.

Good luck and such a beautiful color for a lovely tank. I'm still going through your tank to figure out how you get by with no water changes. Lots of learning to do still.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch that the column of the foot does not rise up like a toadstool coral. When it does that, the gig is going to move.

Good luck and such a beautiful color for a lovely tank. I'm still going through your tank to figure out how you get by with no water changes. Lots of learning to do still.
Thanks for the advice on the gig! I’ll keep my eyes peeled!

I’ve actually started to do water changes every 2 months. With going with the Dastaco Calcium reactor and it’s media, I’m only getting straight alk and Ca with it and no trace elements so changing water is probably a good idea at this point.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following your build thread has been a great learning experience. Especially how to have angels in a reef! Thank you and keep up the good work! Oh, or you'll never hear the end of it! :p
I was like... wow, one of the Aussies was actually nice to me... then I read the last sentence. :D :p

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't realize moving the nem was such an ordeal from your fb post.
Nice work!

Oh yeah, it was quite the adventure at night to get that thing. And this morning... it moved... now under the plate it was on. So I’ll get to have that adventure again. The flow has a slight up flow there due to the two crashing gyres in the middle. I don’t think it appreciates that... or is not used to the higher par yet in that location. Either case, I’m going to have to do it again and maybe find another spot it’ll prefer instead. Sigh....

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I invested in a nice calibrated monitor. Nothing too fancy but at least can show accurate colors and with a 4K work environment. So hopefully this will translate to even more accurate colors. I always had a hard transition before when post processing as my reds would look blown out on my laptop screen but when I exported and saw it on my phone it would look the opposite... reds looked duller.
I’m not promising miracles but the colors should match even more to what I see in person.

Tyree Purple DragonEyes
3129B1AA-9B67-4829-A089-A52CBBC2BA1D.jpeg

BC Cricket Spine
79C4D5C0-388A-4E92-9973-2632A09204EB.jpeg

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back