OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ty, your system doing okay still today?
Things getting better here power wise....been on about 21 of the last 24 hours! Snowing hard here.
Todd
Doing good my friend. I’m glad you’re getting consistent power still! I just have an odd slowly increasing phosphate issue. Not sure if it is from the power being off or just some old tank syndrome kicking into effect but I’ve added 2 cups of GFO and the next day I test and phosphate has actually gone up. I’ve actually be swapping it daily and it still slowly creeping up. So weird. I even double checked with a second Hanna meter and different reagent it gave me the same level. So, it really is increasing and adding 2 cups of GFO daily is doing squat to it. Definitely a mystery... something I’ve never encountered before.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet micro die-off.
BTW, Brian lost his whole system. It was at John's shop and John lost everything in his shop. So sad. I've told him he can have one of everything in my tank that makes it. This week feels like a month.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet micro die-off.
BTW, Brian lost his whole system. It was at John's shop and John lost everything in his shop. So sad. I've told him he can have one of everything in my tank that makes it. This week feels like a month.
Noooo! I forgot Brian’s tank was in John’s shop! I’ll have to hit him up when he gets his system set back up and send a frag pack his way.

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear some of you are doing OK, so awful and sorry for those not so much...

We are apparently in a bubble just south of Houston where the power stayed on more than many others. We only lost power for a few hours once, for which the battery backups worked just fine. Can't say as much for our citrus trees and palms...we covered them with tarps and heat lamps, but not sure if even that is going to matter at this point...

Only one more day left, so fingers crossed we can get through that...

Go figure our whole house generator was supposed to be installed last Monday, but was delayed due to the weather...I thought I was getting a head start on hurricane season, who knew...?

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear some of you are doing OK, so awful and sorry for those not so much...

We are apparently in a bubble just south of Houston where the power stayed on more than many others. We only lost power for a few hours once, for which the battery backups worked just fine. Can't say as much for our citrus trees and palms...we covered them with tarps and heat lamps, but not sure if even that is going to matter at this point...

Only one more day left, so fingers crossed we can get through that...

Go figure our whole house generator was supposed to be installed last Monday, but was delayed due to the weather...I thought I was getting a head start on hurricane season, who knew...?
Man, that’s awesome you made it through mostly unscathed! That whole house generator would have been awesome though!

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good for you still Ty?
Yes sir! Just cruising along trying to keep this ship afloat but made it out much better than most in my area. Got lucky. I’ll get my clippers ready for when people set back up their tanks and help them fill their tanks back up. We can get through this together as a community.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, I definitely have my share of weekly mistakes. :rolleyes:

So far so good, one of the lucky few that still has power. I told my wife they must have felt sorry for our portion of the grid being out 17hrs already when it all started that they spared us so far this round.

I’m basically just running a little actinic support lighting on a shortened schedule so reduce my electrical use to not stress the grid too much so they can get it back on for the many Texans who haven’t had power for over 20+ hours in single digit temps.

I have everything ready to go when/if the rolling blackouts come my way. Generator filled, extra gas cans, all my life support items on a single eb832 so I can plug it directly into the generator, and plenty of extra water made just in case my pipes burst. Here’s hoping I don’t have to do any of that.

So glad to hear you got power back Ty. I cant even imagine what I would do to go through what all of you are going through. Makes we really think about emergency situations like this. Having all your primary items on one EB832 is a very smart idea. I will need to plan for this also including a generator.

Hope everything gets back to normal very quick for everyone affected from this!

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir! Just cruising along trying to keep this ship afloat but made it out much better than most in my area. Got lucky. I’ll get my clippers ready for when people set back up their tanks and help them fill their tanks back up. We can get through this together as a community.
This is why you’re the best!!

pretty fortunate myself up here in Dallas. Tanks got down to ~72 but no coral losses. I did lose my Moorish Idol. Unfortunate because he had been doing great, eating like a pig.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am so sad to hear of all the hardships and glad that most of you guys in Texas are staying safe !
I sincerely hope and pray the worst is behind and it’s only sunshine back for you guys ...
Can’t imagine the pains and sufferings of loosing corals and fishes that you have cared like babies for years :(

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe how many people lost power and heat in this, it saddens me to no end. I hope for the best for all who have been affected by this.

I can't stress this enough though, please get a generator. If you can afford a tank you should be able to get even a small generator. I now have an automatic standby, because I got sick of loosing power and loosing fish. A gas one is good but one that runs on LP or NG will let it run a lot longer and you don't have to fill it all the time. We lost power in the middle of winter for 8 days a few years ago. Fortunately, I could get gas, unlike a lot of you. Without a gas generator, I would have lost all my fish, at the time was a fowlr.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe how many people lost power and heat in this, it saddens me to no end. I hope for the best for all who have been affected by this.

I can't stress this enough though, please get a generator. If you can afford a tank you should be able to get even a small generator. I now have an automatic standby, because I got sick of loosing power and loosing fish. A gas one is good but one that runs on LP or NG will let it run a lot longer and you don't have to fill it all the time. We lost power in the middle of winter for 8 days a few years ago. Fortunately, I could get gas, unlike a lot of you. Without a gas generator, I would have lost all my fish, at the time was a fowlr.
Absolutely agreed ! However , its not 100% true all the time that if you can maintain a reef tank , you should have a generator as many can't due to logistics like living in high rise or in apartments or condo associations where you cannot run a generator . I have lived all my life before buying my own house last year and has been one of the most painful points in keeping tanks .

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely agreed ! However , its not 100% true all the time that if you can maintain a reef tank , you should have a generator as many can't due to logistics like living in high rise or in apartments or condo associations where you cannot run a generator . I have lived all my life before buying my own house last year and has been one of the most painful points in keeping tanks .
Yes, this is true but, some of the small converter generators could be put on a balcony, if allowed, to at least periodically heat the tank and run the pumps. Just a thought.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad to hear you got power back Ty. I cant even imagine what I would do to go through what all of you are going through. Makes we really think about emergency situations like this. Having all your primary items on one EB832 is a very smart idea. I will need to plan for this also including a generator.

Hope everything gets back to normal very quick for everyone affected from this!
Your positivity is highly appreciated JCole. The event has made me think about a lot of things regarding backup safety protocols. Some things may change and be improved on to better tackle the next event when/if it comes. I can’t take the credit for the life support items all on one EB832 idea... that wast buddy @gig 'em who gave me that idea.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why you’re the best!!

pretty fortunate myself up here in Dallas. Tanks got down to ~72 but no coral losses. I did lose my Moorish Idol. Unfortunate because he had been doing great, eating like a pig.
Thank you buddy! I’m glad you made it out okay through all this too! Dallas got slammed too! That’s sad about the moorish... it was on my bucket list to have one in the reef one day so saddens me to hear you lost yours that was eating so well. Don’t worry, all your babies made it out just fine. ;)
C88DF8AC-8EDC-4FFC-A268-F3F7C78DBEA1.jpeg

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am so sad to hear of all the hardships and glad that most of you guys in Texas are staying safe !
I sincerely hope and pray the worst is behind and it’s only sunshine back for you guys ...
Can’t imagine the pains and sufferings of loosing corals and fishes that you have cared like babies for years :(
Your endless empathy my friend is truly a gift. I have scrolled through countless pages in our local Facebook groups in Texas of all of the full tank losses and it breaks my heart. I truly am thankful I was one of the lucky ones and aim to show my gratitude by helping others rebuild in our community.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, this is true but, some of the small converter generators could be put on a balcony, if allowed, to at least periodically heat the tank and run the pumps. Just a thought.
You guys make great points. I know in my situation as a homeowner and with my stock level, no brained to get a generator. I think I will be planning beyond just my simple 2300 watt inverter model but I at least had it to stymie the death and destruction from all the havoc brought by these storms. My goal would be a generator with the ability to accept NG or LP and could be plugged into my grid at home. I don’t really need an automatic switching solution since I’m always home or have a buddy nearby that can kick up the generator for me but the thought of something that could also run my AC at the house is something to keep in mind since most of the time, Texas is too hot... not too cold.

FWIW, I know a lot of apartments won’t allow generators but if power is out for over several days, good luck stopping me from running a generator. ;) At the least though, get an inverter for your vehicle and long cables.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew! I’m relieved to see that your system is doing well after what has happened in Texas.

What’s the eb832 idea you mentioned?
Thank you!

Nothing fancy but just moving all critical life support systems to one EB832 since my system has two. That way if the power goes, I can just plug that EB832 into the generator and all my systems will continue to run as programmed instead of pulling plugs and plugging into a random power strip to try to run manually.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back