OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple questions that you may have answered at some point in the past 400 pages.

Do you feed anything for your corals and if so how often and time of day? Just something I've been thinking about for my own system, and interested to hear your practice.

Also, what lens are you using for your photos? Beautiful sharp images.

Thanks!
I don’t feed the corals anything specifically… Just fish poop.

I’m using a Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM macro lens paired with a Canon 90D camera body. I love the sharpness on it… much more so than the old Tamron 90mm I was using prior to this.

Coling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty doesn't use filters, he uses Microsoft Paint so people think his coral is pretty.
bob ross GIF

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread, great tank! I also enjoy your posts on IG.
How is this one doing? Haven't seen your OG RRU AB in awhile.
Thanks for the follow on both fronts! Its actually looking like its coming back from being stalled out after I upgraded my sump. It's laid another row of polyps at the base and seems to be growing again. I'm excited to see it as a colony one day soon if I can stop messing with my tank.

mitten_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the follow on both fronts! Its actually looking like its coming back from being stalled out after I upgraded my sump. It's laid another row of polyps at the base and seems to be growing again. I'm excited to see it as a colony one day soon if I can stop messing with my tank.
you know better! Stop messing with you tank !!

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t like that I’m going back to dripping lanthanum chloride again for phosphates then.
What range do you like to target for your phosphates and why?

Which lanthanum product do you use? Where in the system do you drip it (i.e. filter sock, overflow, skimmer)? Do you use a doser?

I periodically have been using TM Elimi-phos, but haven't placed it on a doser yet, so interested in the details of how your applying the product your using.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What range do you like to target for your phosphates and why?

Which lanthanum product do you use? Where in the system do you drip it (i.e. filter sock, overflow, skimmer)? Do you use a doser?

I periodically have been using TM Elimi-phos, but haven't placed it on a doser yet, so interested in the details of how your applying the product your using.
Usually anything under 0.08ppm phosphates I’m happy with.

I use the SeaKlear Commercial Strength pool cleaner and I dose it into my skimmer just below the bubble line internally. Before I used a Versa Peristaltic pump which could run continuously and at a ridiculously slow rate so it was like the perfect drip method for lanthanum. I just bought the Kamoer stepper pump which has the same ability to run continuously and at a super slow 0.1 ml/min rate so I’ll be using it to dose.

I drilled a hole into the side of my skimmer body and added a John Guest fitting. Allows me to run a tube directly into the skimmer without having to go through the neck of the skimmer and interfere with my auto neck cleaner.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually anything under 0.08ppm phosphates I’m happy with.

I use the SeaKlear Commercial Strength pool cleaner and I dose it into my skimmer just below the bubble line internally. Before I used a Versa Peristaltic pump which could run continuously and at a ridiculously slow rate so it was like the perfect drip method for lanthanum. I just bought the Kamoer stepper pump which has the same ability to run continuously and at a super slow 0.1 ml/min rate so I’ll be using it to dose.

I drilled a hole into the side of my skimmer body and added a John Guest fitting. Allows me to run a tube directly into the skimmer without having to go through the neck of the skimmer and interfere with my auto neck cleaner.

I just recieved a bottle of PhosphateRX in yesterday. I used half the recommended dosage in my 300 gallon sump that just has dry rock cooking right now. I wanted to test to see how much PO4 it decreased. It only dropped it by .02. I did another dose tonight.

I have never used lanthium chloride before. I am a little nervous using it in the main system as it is an Acropora dominate system with 5 tangs. I heard it can be hard on tangs.

What do you think? Should I go for it and if so, do I need to run a 5 micron filter sock with it or can I just dose directly into the skimmer only?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recieved a bottle of PhosphateRX in yesterday. I used half the recommended dosage in my 300 gallon sump that just has dry rock cooking right now. I wanted to test to see how much PO4 it decreased. It only dropped it by .02. I did another dose tonight.

I have never used lanthium chloride before. I am a little nervous using it in the main system as it is an Acropora dominate system with 5 tangs. I heard it can be hard on tangs.

What do you think? Should I go for it and if so, do I need to run a 5 micron filter sock with it or can I just dose directly into the skimmer only?

I know this wasn't directed at me but by any chance you compare your PhosphateRX dose to desired level and result? Just to see if it was as projected? Not sure if you used a calculator or not.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this wasn't directed at me but by any chance you compare your PhosphateRX dose to desired level and result? Just to see if it was as projected? Not sure if you used a calculator or not.

Yes. It did work but I used a 1/3 of the recommended dose just to be safe. I upped the dosage tonight and will test again tomorrow.

Not really worried about if it works or not because it does seem to. More concerned about the Tangs and Corals in the main system. I have read on multiple accounts to use a 5 micron sock to capture the particulate but I do know some that do not use a sock and just the skimmer.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ty, curious: are you sure this one is Tony’s Cookie Monster? I have it, and it’s a solid blue hoeksemi (I believe). The one in your pic looks like Merlin’s Staff or ARC Fireworks, maybe?
Good catch! That’s the Gonzo’s Cookie Monster. Which now means I need to get a frag of the Tony’s Cookie Monster.
Season 4 Damnit GIF by The Office

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It did work but I used a 1/3 of the recommended dose just to be safe. I upped the dosage tonight and will test again tomorrow.

Not really worried about if it works or not because it does seem to. More concerned about the Tangs and Corals in the main system. I have read on multiple accounts to use a 5 micron sock to capture the particulate but I do know some that do not use a sock and just the skimmer.
I can’t comment too much on dosage or application but I dose mine diluted… directly into my skimmer and have had no issues. I did it for about 8-9 months and saw no issues with my acros or my angels/tangs in my system.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%

Back