Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current stock in the 180g is as follows:
Gem Tang
Magfox
small < 3 inch PBT (***** for his size of course...newest addition)
F Spotbreast Angel
2 x lubbocks Fairy wrasses
Pintail fairy wrasse
8 line flasher wrasse
mystery wrasse
3 x Springeri Damsel
Azure damsel
3 x Seargent major Damsels
an actual chill pair of Clarkii's.

I fill pretty full; however, NO3 is hard to keep above 5 even with my ole school bio ball filtration...go figure. I also don't want a tank that looks like a fish market tank.

There is a nice Fathead sunburst Anthias at my LFS that I feed frozen to when I visit...it is a mile up the road. My question is do you think a Fathead can exist with this stock or is it going to be a bad fit? Just looking for suggestions before I pull the trigger because I love this little bugger...but I don't want to set him up for failure if it would not be wise or recommended. He is with a few damsels, wrasses, and a small sailfin at the store currently.

Last edited:

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t recommend this fish in a busy tank full of larger and active fish. Of course, yours could do just fine, but as a generalization I would like to see this fish in a relatively peaceful, low or moderately stocked system with lower lighting.

Potential aggressors:
PBT
Sergeant Major Damsels
Clarkii Clowns

That’s what I can think of the top of my head.

OP
OP
YoubetyourWrasse

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t recommend this fish in a busy tank full of larger and active fish. Of course, yours could do just fine, but as a generalization I would like to see this fish in a relatively peaceful, low or moderately stocked system with lower lighting.

Potential aggressors:
PBT
Sergeant Major Damsels
Clarkii Clowns

That’s what I can think of the top of my head.
duly noted...kind of what I was thinking...not this time around I guess...maybe next tank.

FishSkedee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
duly noted...kind of what I was thinking...not this time around I guess...maybe next tank.
I
My current stock in the 180g is as follows:
Gem Tang
Magfox
small < 3 inch PBT (***** for his size of course...newest addition)
F Spotbreast Angel
2 x lubbocks Fairy wrasses
Pintail fairy wrasse
8 line flasher wrasse
mystery wrasse
3 x Springeri Damsel
Azure damsel
3 x Seargent major Damsels
an actual chill pair of Clarkii's.

I fill pretty full; however, NO3 is hard to keep above 5 even with my ole school bio ball filtration...go figure. I also don't want a tank that looks like a fish market tank.

There is a nice Fathead sunburst Anthias at my LFS that I feed frozen to when I visit...it is a mile up the road. My question is do you think a Fathead can exist with this stock or is it going to be a bad fit? Just looking for suggestions before I pull the trigger because I love this little bugger...but I don't want to set him up for failure if it would not be wise or recommended. He is with a few damsels, wrasses, and a small sailfin at the store currently.
how does it do @ the LFS with its tank mates? holding its own? I have one with a few tangs, angels, butterflies, other anthias, and damsels. He sticks towards the bottom & is a stunning little fish, actually hangs out with the blotchy anthias, never any issues from or towards him..

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am honestly a bigger fan of the larger Anthias than the smaller Pseudanthias. More solitary, more interesting. I will make an exception in Pseudanthias for the Squarespot, One Stripe.

Other than that, I am most interested in Odontanthias, Sacura, Plectranthias, and the super rare deepwater types.

IMO ideally, I’d want to keep these in a full deepwater, NPS style setup, but it’s so hard getting together a full collection of deepwater / Mesophotic / rariphotic fish. A few guys in Japan pulled it off, which is really amazing.

One guy’s system has extra reinforced glass to cool the tank down to 68-72 (normal reef temperatures are 76-80).

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back